• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Clive Henry Boa

s1k

TRIBE Member
Hadn't been to Boa for a few weeks and its unbelievable how much a place can change in such a short period of time. Everything had taken a toll for the worst, extensive line ups, the staff not so nice, overcrowding...the music was kick ass up until clive henry hit the set, ti reminded me of the insdustry reunion party when cevin fischer came on...the vibe totally died out, clive started playin some trippy ass crap, horrible music, killed the vibe, people started fleein in groups not even an hour into his set, i spent more time downstairs than upstairs just cause i coudln't stand teh music...and the crowd had gone downhill, i felt like i was in guverment....crap. what a waiste of a nice venue. out.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Snapple

TRIBE Member
Glad I was there for the 'even before we're officially open, we're open' Sander show as that was a brilliant night even if there weren't any sinks.

eLeKTRon

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AdRiaN
This is Tribe ... everyone is going to Jimmy van M at Guvernment, and then everyone will come back to the board complaining about the crowd at Guvernment. :)
Originally posted by s1k
...and the crowd had gone downhill, i felt like i was in guverment....crap. what a waiste of a nice venue. out.

cool, we've found a new venue to complain about the crowd ...

seriously, i am afraid that Boa is going to turn into "Guv on Spadina" :(

silver lining though ... the $50 cover may be incentive enough to keep "them" away from Jeff Mills on the 20th ...

:)

Lizzouse

TRIBE Member
Regardless of the music (which was good ) and the soundsystem (also awesome) I really feel that place is ruined by the vibe. EVERYONE is so there to be seen, as opposed to have a good party night. I thought that taking your shirt off as soon as you walked in the door was a CoZone thing...... Not hopping on the Boa train again.... ever

TECHno addict

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lizzouse
I really feel that place is ruined by the vibe.

Go with a good group of people and you can create your own "vibe". The two nights ive been have been incredible. Sander back in December, and Scumfrog a couple weeks ago. Funny thing is the local (Sean Miller) impressed me as much (or more) than the headliners! Great club, good space for dancing, best soundsystem.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

torontobarfly

TRIBE Member
well i wasn't there so i can't comment on the "vibe" but i'm sure the next time a dj rips it up all the posts will be how good boa is again and the incredible vibe THAT night...every club has its good nights and it's "meh" nights....

never forget how spoiled we are in this city with our choices of clubs and parties on a weekly basis...you could be stuck out in the sticks with only bob's country bunker and his karaoke machine to entertain you:p

s1k

TRIBE Member
Its true but you know when you finally find a place thats as kick ass as boa was and you get so comfortable with the regulars and everything you come to have an expectation of it deliverin relativly the same thing everyweek....i mean with a little up and down in performance but this was bad....bad i tell you, i'm afraid to go back.

deevah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by s1k
Its true but you know when you finally find a place thats as kick ass as boa was and you get so comfortable with the regulars and everything you come to have an expectation of it deliverin relativly the same thing everyweek....i mean with a little up and down in performance but this was bad....bad i tell you, i'm afraid to go back.

the nite should have been called Tracks Saved the DJ - something must've been wrong w/ the equipment cuz all 3 of the guys that played upstairs were having problems - that or all of them sucked @ mixing and the records must've been in pretty poor shape.

i remember seeing clive's face the 2nd time it happened it he was like "WTF!??!?" - sounded like the records were speeding up/slowing down w/out human intervention.

IMHO, i thought the tracks rocked but the crowd certainly let the DJ know they weren't happy when the records kept skipping constantly - i think that's why ppl were leaving in droves....

s1k

TRIBE Member
for the time i was upstairs, clive did not ONCE look at the crowd to pick up ont heir reactions, thats a sign of shitty ass dj...and the first dj whoever it was rocked, ROCKED, he was kick ass, its funny how the locals are embarassin the fuk out of the guest at BOA, lev oscar has out performed the other dj's everytime

Lizzouse

TRIBE Member
I agree with the idea of "creating your own vibe" and going with your own crew of people, completely, however, it's really hard to do that when you look like the only one's even attempting to do so.
It's just really hard for me to ignore the shirtless dudes and girls just waiting to be picked up.... I know I"m making sweeping statements, but that's enough for me not to pay out of my ASS to go to a stupid club.

s1k

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lizzouse
I agree with the idea of "creating your own vibe" and going with your own crew of people, completely, however, it's really hard to do that when you look like the only one's even attempting to do so.
It's just really hard for me to ignore the shirtless dudes and girls just waiting to be picked up.... I know I"m making sweeping statements, but that's enough for me not to pay out of my ASS to go to a stupid club.

Creatin you own vibe...cmon, you might as well throw a house party, communication between the people is crucial (non necesserly verbal), if you ever go to stereo in montreal you know what i'm talkin about, there's such a good flow of energy between people that you feel what others feel at the party, if you're gonna make your own group and hold up a corner then you're blockin out other peoples vibe, which makes sense when teh place sucks and the vibe is bad, but thats just a short term solution, it is much more effective and powerful to create a vibe across the whole the crowd so everyone is feelin it...you know what i mean, its hard to explain, its kindo like lower crime in your neighbourhood through education vs. buildin higher fences with barb wires, you know, both work but one works better than the other.

TECHno addict

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by s1k
and the first dj whoever it was rocked, ROCKED, he was kick ass, its funny how the locals are embarassin the fuk out of the guest at BOA

Im pretty sure it was Sean Miller who opened the night. Hes my new favourite local dj easily.

Special K

TRIBE Member
i saw clive henry open up for steve lawler last night and he was playing some sick sick tracks...i thought he was really good...even on friday i liked the tunes he was spinning...I think DJS try alot harder when they are playing @ WMC

but yea ive always felt that he can be pretty hit or miss as a DJ...

GIJill

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by s1k
Creatin you own vibe...cmon, you might as well throw a house party, communication between the people is crucial (non necesserly verbal), if you ever go to stereo in montreal you know what i'm talkin about, there's such a good flow of energy between people that you feel what others feel at the party, if you're gonna make your own group and hold up a corner then you're blockin out other peoples vibe, which makes sense when teh place sucks and the vibe is bad, but thats just a short term solution, it is much more effective and powerful to create a vibe across the whole the crowd so everyone is feelin it...you know what i mean, its hard to explain, its kindo like lower crime in your neighbourhood through education vs. buildin higher fences with barb wires, you know, both work but one works better than the other.

Well said s1k!