• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Climate Change

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
There are many factions around the political and scientific spectrum about "climate change".

It seems most serious scientists have measured and observed CO2 concentrations increasing and a correlation to climate change, which can varyingly describe hotter or, ironically, colder conditions, depending on your part of the world, and more intense and sever storm conditions, etc.

There is the other group that says it's just natural fluctuation or paranoia.

Well, I'd like to introduce the third group, which includes me. This group recognizes that yes, climate change, global warming, whatever you want to call it, DOES exist and is happening now. However, we don't care that it's happening. The Earth has been through Ice Ages in the past and also periods of climate where nearly the entire Earth was covered in tropical weather. So, we, the group who acknowledges bur doesn't care, say "Use those fossil fuels" and "If it's efficient and not directly killing people and most of all, profitable, then do it!"

Oh, some people will make the argument that we have to be stewards of this planet for our future generations. Well, I think that's a rather high headed understanding of our place in this universe. Are we really stewards of this planet? Who made us so? Are we the designers of what happens and if so, how do we decide what should and should not happen? Life flourished wonderfully under periods of high heat. It might not have been so good for our primate ancestors but hell, it was pretty good for plants and microbes and a diversity of life which has not been seen since.

Therefore, to sum up my introductory discussion, yes, I believe climate change aka global warming is obviously happening and happening as a result of human activity. And I believe it is a good thing for the planet as a whole and I have no qualms about how rising ocean levels or well chilled drinks in Vegas may affect our species. Basically, bring it on, we'll adapt, and in the mean time let's not feel so guilty about using up all the fossil fuels.

-jM
A&D

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
Basically, bring it on, we'll adapt, and in the mean time let's not feel so guilty about using up all the fossil fuels.
what if we can't adapt in time? virtually all our costal cities will be underwater. we'd basically throwing away hundreds of years of civilization and infrastructure for a few decades of status quo. There is also a point where we wouldn't be able to reverse the effect of climate change, and we'd be be caught on a planet that is virtually cooking itself.

oh well, nice while it lasted?

silver1

TRIBE Member
What we really need to do is find a way to shoot a probe into space that carries the memories of our culture. That way some future intergalactic travelers can find it and have one of their crew re-live the end of the world as we know it.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
what if we can't adapt in time? virtually all our costal cities will be underwater. we'd basically throwing away hundreds of years of civilization and infrastructure for a few decades of status quo. There is also a point where we wouldn't be able to reverse the effect of climate change, and we'd be be caught on a planet that is virtually cooking itself.

oh well, nice while it lasted?
Hmm. I think you missed the point.

It's not important whether "we" ie "the humans" adapt. It's whether the Earth will adapt. Surely the Earth will adapt, and that may or may not include Human being on it.

Now, even in our epoch, massive climate change has occurred such that the Bering Straight was once a land bridge and is now ocean. The transition had nothing to do with man-made climate change.

As for low lying human cities like New York or Los Angeles, well... Do you really think it's a bad thing for them to be erased from global geography? And anyway, if you do, the gradual nature of global warming will ensure that everyone moves away safely. And hey, maybe Coney Island might become more profitable.

Edit: except I will miss Shanghai
Edit: And as usual Silver1 is right

-jM
A&D

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

praktik

TRIBE Member
Read up on those microbes that produce hydrogen sulfide in low oxygen environments and you might look at a warming planet from a much different perspective...

More warm water and more fresh water can one day stop the delivery of oxygen to the ocean floor - when this happens these microbes, responsible for a number of the worst extinction events in world history, will be able to thrive.

When that happens it's game over for everything but those microbes.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Read up on those microbes that produce hydrogen sulfide in low oxygen environments and you might look at a warming planet from a much different perspective...

More warm water and more fresh water can one day stop the delivery of oxygen to the ocean floor - when this happens these microbes, responsible for a number of the worst extinction events in world history, will be able to thrive.

When that happens it's game over for everything but those microbes.
A variety of microbes thrive in an oxygen deprived environment, specifically those at the bottom of the ocean who metabolize chemicals, like hydrogen sulfide, and dioxide, to thrive at thermal vents.

My point is that the Earth can, and probably will, survive quite nicely and happily in the absence of humans, regardless of the climate.

-jM
A&D

praktik

TRIBE Member
Oh ya for sure... Those microbes killed everything off more than once and there was enough leftover for life to recover

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
mother nature has been tossing grenades at humanity in the form of new viruses to cull the herd, we just keep curing them

wtf humanity

let mother nature do her job and we wont need bob dole or leonardo dicrapio or bono win win!!!

seriously, 3 of the biggest pigs in every term of the word are lecturing everyday ppl to clean up their act?
fuck you hypocrites

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
Hmm. I think you missed the point.

It's not important whether "we" ie "the humans" adapt. It's whether the Earth will adapt. Surely the Earth will adapt, and that may or may not include Human being on it.
you wrote that "we'll adapt", so i was under the impression that you were confident that humans would be able to adapt. now you seem to be implying that it's not important if we do because in the cosmic scheme of things we're not that important. perhaps, but i'd argue that as humans we have a responsibility to future generations to at least do our best to allow them to exist.

so that means doing our best to slow down climate change and give them the same opportunity as we had. you seem to be suggesting we continue on course and not give a fuck. seems rather selfish TBH.

p.s. we haven't reached a "point of no return" as of yet, so i see no reason to have such a defeatist attitude.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
humans are truly not even a blip on the social scene of the universe

we are not even as relevant as the thought of stubbing your toe on a rock while hiking in the grand scheme of things

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
sure, but in the context humanity and how our current generation relates to it it's kind of important that our species has a decent chance to continue on after us. throughout our history that's how it's worked and allowed us to move from caves into high-rises, from hunting with sticks to working with computers, etc...etc.... we all stand on the shoulders of those who came before us.

who are we to say "just fuck it"?

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
who are we to say , lets give a fuck?

all of the "selfless" douche hats in our sphere now are the biggest wastrel hypocrites going
and society believes them.....

why should we survive if we allow the most abusive amongst us be our voice and blindly follow their edicts???

have you taken a look at what "we" have created????

for real?

if there was a god he must be smacking his head on his dashboard saying..."why me"

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
that's a lot of incoherent rambling to try and parse, but i'll respond to this :

have you taken a look at what "we" have created????
yes i have. at our best our species is awe inspiring. at our worst we can be truly horrible.

given our origins i think it's fucking amazing, and the overall trajectory of mankind is (after being adjusted for the worst of our history) still very much a net positive.

erika

TRIBE Member
I'm in the camp that it is definitely happening, and that "earth" will mutate into something else that will not involve humans, because we are doing a piss-poor job of stopping anything amid all our wonderful progressions and inventions (and I'm not being sarcastic about that last part).

I was pondering that in my little food place here downstairs, where what used to be written on a board is now a screen, nice and bright, using more electricity than ever.

Doesn't help that I've started reading this:

derek

TRIBE Member
the fact that we can comprehend something as vast as the universe is proof that humans are not just an insignificant mark (even if only in our own minds). as a collective we grow and invent. perhaps, insignificant on a cosmic scale but quite prevalent on a human time scale.

what have we created: look around