• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Classic House - MattLok - Past:Present:Future::Session01

mattlok

TRIBE Member
Classic House - MattLok - Past:present:Future::Session01

Hi Everybody,

After being hammered by kabillions of people, I finally got the time to put this out after diggin through my prestine collection of records.

These were the days before Raves/Parties - we had Warehouse Parties. Back in the good old days at Polson, Victoria, Richmond, Spadina, and eventually Phipps. My hot spot before Industry Nightclub were the GoGo, Starrs (Burlington) and 23-Hop. Names that I used to see and people I met, Terry Kelly, DJ Fran, Matt C, Peter, Tyrone, Shams (PTS), Dave Campbell, Carl Allen, Jeremy, Mike, Kenny Glasgow (JMK), Aki, Jason Palma, Mark Falco, Neil & Kane, Wayne Williams, Chris Shepperd, Chris Tortillia, Bobby Brown, Paul Grace, Dino & Terry, Nick Holder, Stickman, Albert Asune, and one of my favourites Kevin Williams... and the list goes on (Sorry if I forgot your names)... Stores I favour, Carnival Records, Starsound, Traxx, Play De Record... and my favourite stations 88.1 Fear Edit, 88.1 Dave Campbell's Show (Sunday noon - 4pm) with his weekly playlist at Play De Record and Carnival, 107.9 Dance 108, 102.1 CFNY live at the RPMs. Furthermore, it existed way before I got into in 1988. I even remember a warehouse party at Phipps St. with Kenny Glasgow singing as the openning performance for Ten City.... The best part of all, if you were trying to trainspot, you couldn't because all the record labels were white and/or had their symbols like: CCC (Cosmic Crash Crew)... I think those were the Twilight Zone days which were ending when I got into the scene...

And those who DJ as I did back in the day know how difficult some of these records were to mix which the style of mixing was a definite artform.

Does that bring back any memories... ask Alex D. I'm sure he knows what I am talking about...

My golden tracklist:

1. The Poem - Bobby Konders - NuGroove
2. House For All - Blunted Dummies - Orange Label
3. Atmoshpere - Lil Lous - Blue Label
4. Bang Bang (You're Mine) - Bang The Party - Warrior
5. It's You - ESP - DJ International
6. Bring Down The Wall - Robert Owens - Chicago Trax
7. God Made Me Funky - Mike Dunn - MOS
8. Dance - Earth People - CFM/Champion
9. Jungle Love - Roc n Kato - Dungeon
10. Samba - House Of Gypsies - Freeze
11. Make This Love Right/Let Me Show You Love (MattLok Blend) - Romanthony - Azuli
12. Something Is Wrong - Kerri Chandler - Madhouse
13. Son Of A Beatnik - Taxi cab - White
14. The Shelter - Gate Ah - Pink Label
15. Some Lovin' - Liberty City - Murk
16. Illusion (MK Mix) - D-Influence - EastWest
17. Freek You (MK Mix) - Jodeci - White
18. Michael's Prayer - Michael Watford - EastWest
19. Sweet Tears (Masters At Work) - Barry White (???) - White
20. Twi-Light (Masters At Work) - FreeStyle Orchestra - MAW
21. Desire (Masters At Work) - Nu Colour - Wildcard
22. Serperate Minds (MK mix) - 4th Measure Men
23. Whew! - The Bucketheads - Henry St.
24. Erotic Illusions - Nick Holder - DNH
25. Living My Life Underground - Mind Readers
26. Tears (David Morales Remix) - Frankie Knuckles

All this on a CD available in high fidelity at Play De Record next week.

THIS IS JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG...

http://www.mattlok.org/mp3/mattlok-past-present-future-classic-house-session01.mp3

Thank-you for the almost 17 years of support, not only to me, but also to those who helped developed the underground scene on Toronto to what it is today.

Enjoy :)

MattLok.

P.S. Special Thanks to Donna, Eugene, Jason Palma, Mark Falco, and Ernest for helping me during those years at Play De Record.
Special Thanks to Stickman family, Greg Zwarich, Isaac S, Roo, Hatiras, Damon and Giesbrecht for helping me continue the support through our current record label FullBodySoundSystem.com

Last edited:

blackbeltjones

TRIBE Promoter
DAMN! Now that is a tracklisting...i think your bandwidth is about to take a major beating on this one dude;)

Thanks for this.

mattlok

TRIBE Member
I'm glad you guys like it.

I forgot to give shout outs to Mitch Winthrop and Scott Carnes who ran their nights at the Phoenix for while, both in the main room and the parlor room after the it changed over from the Diamond Club.

Anybody who sees Mitch Winthrop tell him I said hi.

:)

MattLok.

onebadsol

TRIBE Member
Nice Matt, I still remember you from the days you played in Woodstock (at Rumours, I think???). Thats over 10 years ago.......and this mix brings back those memories......THanks!!!!!!!!!!!

mattlok

TRIBE Member
Yes,

I did play at Rumours in Woodstock 10 years ago.

Thanks for remembering.

Woodstock Rocked!

There were some pretty fine women there:)

MattLok.

onebadsol

TRIBE Member
Hi Matt,

Good old Woodstock....yes the girls were great....thats how I met you...I hung out with Tanya....met you again couple years later in the purple room at Rev. Good to see you're still around!!

T

TRIBE Member
great mix. brings back club fokus and surf club up here in thornhill.

nice job!

mattlok

TRIBE Member
Thanks T,

Sounds like you're revieling your age :)

Lets not forget about the Copa as well.

So many clubs........ come and go.........

Mattlok.

mattlok

TRIBE Member
Hey Everybody,

I hate to do this to you.

But i have to downgrade the MP3 quality to 56Kbps as it is eating up all my bandwidth.

So if anybody has a server where I can store I quality MP3s for everyone on tribe to download, that would be greatly appreciated.

Just PM me if you have the space and bandwidth (with that I will bump the quality to 320Kbps) or if you are interested in booking me.

Thanks,

MattLok.

mattlok

TRIBE Member
Oh yeah,

anybody trying to download or stream my set now, may have problems as I am over writing the old file.

Please try again in 15 minutes.

Thanks,

MattLok.

PS: If anyone is interested in setting up a dedicated server for MP3s for tribe, I have a co-location data center I can hookup on Front St. Cost per month is about $300 + tax which give you a 4U rack of space to 100MegaBit connection to the backbone (OC-12). But you/we control the server from top to bottom which we also have to supply (including the OS). I am a System Administrator and working my way as a System Engineer so if any can provide, I can setup the rest on the OS using IIS.

mattlok

TRIBE Member
OK,

I've bumped up the sound quality a bit to 64Kbps.

Sorry, that is the best I can do since I have a bandwidth limit.

I will try to post a new download link later if I find someone to host my higher quality MP3s.

Otherwise you can buy my CD at Play De Record for a full dynamic sound quality, but call to make sure they are in stock first.

Thanks,

MattLok.

mattlok

TRIBE Member
Hey,

For those who were downloading in the last 30 minutes.

The total file size should be 39MB.

If you get less then that, then you only have a partial set.

I have uploaded the replacement completely now, so anyone downloading should get the whole thing at 64Kbps.

:)

MattLok.

Fullbodysoundsystem

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by mattlok
Classic House - MattLok - Past:present:Future::Session01
Damon and Cara Giesbrecht for helping me continue the support through our current record label FullBodySoundSystem.com
Okay, this explains the mass amount of emails i'm getting about some record label :p
Good one Matt, and Hello Vench!

poker face

TRIBE Member
I remember hearing Matt busting house and hip hop in our high school cafeteria when I was only 15.

Nice mix Matt it brings back some memories.

Isaac S

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by poker face
I remember hearing Matt busting house and hip hop in our high school cafeteria when I was only 15.

Nice mix Matt it brings back some memories.

What was matt doing in your highschool when he was 28 at this time? Creepy. :p

Thanks for the trip down memory lane old man!