• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Classic Ableton Pitfalls

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
(from the ableton board)

crash.gif

classic ableton pitfalls

we spend a lot of time talking about what TO do with ableton, but i think that there are a lot of classic pitfalls worth addressing as well...

such as:

-please don't drastically timestretch whole songs, especially not on 'beats' mode because it sounds choppy on the tones. if you are going to dj you should stick to 're-pitch' mode or non-stretched audio to preserve sound quality.

-please don't look like you're checking your email. nobody wants to watch some one stare at a computer screen the whole time. it is all too easy to alienate people when using a laptop live. get your hands dirty, get into it... it's generally better to see some one having fun, rocking out, pushing themselves and maybe making a mistake or two than it is to hear a 'perfect' performance done by an emotionless robot.

-please don't try to play your first set out 'live' because it easily sounds cheap. nobody wants to listen to you select a bunch of samples and loop them, it might be fun for you, but it's deadly dull to listen to.

-please don't go bananas on the beatrepeater all the time. sure it's a cool effect, but it won't make up for bad music, and the crowd gets really bored with it if you use it too much.

-please don't think that just using ableton makes a performance solid. unless you can really rock it out you should stick to djing. i often hear ableton users dissing vinyl djs. if you're going to ditch vinyl, make sure it's a step forwards.

-please don't ignore feedback from 'amateurs' because chances are 90% of your audience don't care about ableton - or producing for that matter - and just want to make sure that they have a good time.

ces_bluescreen.jpg

hee hee.... ok i'm done.

sacred_heart_of_elvis.small.gif

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

JK

TRIBE Promoter
DaPhatConductor said:
-please don't look like you're checking your email. nobody wants to watch some one stare at a computer screen the whole time. it is all too easy to alienate people when using a laptop live. get your hands dirty, get into it... it's generally better to see some one having fun, rocking out, pushing themselves and maybe making a mistake or two than it is to hear a 'perfect' performance done by an emotionless robot.

too true... especially the part about making mistakes -- Don't Be Afraid -- I'd rather hear you experiment and fuck up than hear the same transitions all the time_

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
now if only someone would write something up for gear headz.

i'm tired of watching an artist check his email on a 909. so boring!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
yes... MOLEST being the operative word. i'm talking about when people play boring music out of a whole mess of gear, and then insist everyone else 'didn't get it' type of thing ;) hee hee

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
?Que

Playing boring music is lame no matter how much or how little gear you have. Also, using lots of gear to play good music is better than watching someone click away at a laptop.

solgrabber

TRIBE Member
i watched and listened to a guy dj using only a laptop where i play out as well (using cdj's). something was really missing, i mean looking at a dj clicking on a mouse while sitting down just doesn't do it for me.

if using the laptop makes life easier for mixing the least these "dj's" should do is use the extra time to jump/flap around like mad pigeons.

the one thing i have to hate about the digital music revolution is anyone that has a laptop and their mp3 collection thinks they can be a dj just because they got their hands on some software! give me a fucking break.

maybe it's just me but i feel it is destroying the whole vibe of the of dj culture.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
i still like seeing people like jon h on vinyl, and turntablism will always be around in the instrumental sense. i don't think 'killing' is the right word really. at least not for me.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
I think it's too new to rip it apart... give it time, and you'll see those budding artist that now how to put on a show while they rock out to there lap top

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
solgrabber said:
i watched and listened to a guy dj using only a laptop where i play out as well (using cdj's). something was really missing, i mean looking at a dj clicking on a mouse while sitting down just doesn't do it for me.

if using the laptop makes life easier for mixing the least these "dj's" should do is use the extra time to jump/flap around like mad pigeons.

the one thing i have to hate about the digital music revolution is anyone that has a laptop and their mp3 collection thinks they can be a dj just because they got their hands on some software! give me a fucking break.

maybe it's just me but i feel it is destroying the whole vibe of the of dj culture.

it's even sadder that these people get gigs as aposed to us who rely on the original 12" and sometimes cd's; people who have real rythm and mixing skills. It's sad and it's true. Everywhere i go now all i see is dj winamp on the mixx.

why not

TRIBE Member
RumRogerz said:
it's even sadder that these people get gigs as aposed to us who rely on the original 12" and sometimes cd's; people who have real rythm and mixing skills. It's sad and it's true. Everywhere i go now all i see is dj winamp on the mixx.

really?
i see tons of people using serrato, but that's not really "dj winamp" styles.
there's not really anything different about using serrato except that you've got a much larger library of music than you could bring if it were vinyl.
sure, there's a couple digital tricks you can do with the software, but nothing that CD decks don't do as well.
i actually think that serrato is great for hiphop DJs, because they can cut in and out of stuff even quicker, and they automatically have doubles of everything for doing tricks.

i think you're all a bunch of luddites actually.

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Ableton seems more fun now that you can download wave files! Which will allow you to remix a track allowing DJs to have unique tracks no other DJ will play (unless you release them). It will give DJ's greater access to create a unique sound. Assuming you use CDJ's.

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
why not said:
really?
i see tons of people using serrato, but that's not really "dj winamp" styles.
there's not really anything different about using serrato except that you've got a much larger library of music than you could bring if it were vinyl.
sure, there's a couple digital tricks you can do with the software, but nothing that CD decks don't do as well.
i actually think that serrato is great for hiphop DJs, because they can cut in and out of stuff even quicker, and they automatically have doubles of everything for doing tricks.

serrato and final scratch are awesome tools, don't get me wrong. But the day those came into fruition i think was the day djing was completely spoiled. The whole glory of spinin pressed tunes are dying out. To be honest, i'd rather see a dj spin vinyl when i go to a club than cd's. I dunno, i guess it just looks and sounds better. Everyone has their own idea, and i'm sure many people don't care what the dj's use, so long as the music is pumpin.
I still use vinyl and will till the day comes when absolutely no label presses them anymore, however this isn't stopping me from using, let say, ableton live or other external equipemnt along with my music. I can at least sample a beat from my record, drop it in ableton, drop some other homebrewed loops and synths and then slide another record on and keep the beat flowing from there. But the last thing i wanna see is a dude infront of a laptop all night clickin his mouse away making seamless mixes without really mixing. (what a travesty!!). Not only that, but then EVERYONE is gonna want to do it cuz it seems THAT easy, and the dj culture as far as i see it is already saturated enough.
Although i still need to embrace technology, i still can't abandon the sweet warm sound of my analog music :)

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Syntax Error said:
djing is fucking overrated anyway. try creating something assholes.

Amen.

Boo hoo DJing is getting easier for the masses. Well then, step-up and work harder at actually being more creative. That's what these great tools like Ableton will let the DJ do.

alcid

TRIBE Member
why not said:
Syntax Error said:
djing is fucking overrated anyway. try creating something assholes.
coleridge said:
Boo hoo DJing is getting easier for the masses. Well then, step-up and work harder at actually being more creative. That's what these great tools like Ableton will let the DJ do.

so true.

people need to stop crying about advances in technology. half the reason most electronic music has become stagnant is because of attitudes like that.

why not

TRIBE Member
alcid said:
so true.

people need to stop crying about advances in technology. half the reason most electronic music has become stagnant is because of attitudes like that.

amen.

this isn't a sport, and it isn't the history channel.

no one cares if your fingers are touching a turntable or a laptop if it sounds good.

rulz

TRIBE Member
i think that djing should be djing, cds, vinyl serato, whatever but not live leave live for performances as opposed to putting all tracks in order and waving your hands in the air.

If you do DJ with live however you better be able to make shit on the fly and don't just play other's music. Loop/edit, add parts whatever just don't fucking stand there prentedning to be a dj.

Blue Meanies

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
Amen.

Exactly ... If you use ableton and only use other peoples music then thats a problem. CDs and Vinyl are fine for that but ableton allows me to create and use my own remixes and tracks that no one else has;)

nusty

TRIBE Member
DaPhatConductor said:
yes... MOLEST being the operative word. i'm talking about when people play boring music out of a whole mess of gear, and then insist everyone else 'didn't get it' type of thing ;) hee hee

I really enjoyed seeing you work the hell out of your midi controller that night I played before live before you at Max's birthday party at Jame's place/loft a year and a half ago or so. That was the first time I had seen you play live and really enjoyed it.
It was nice to see someone with a mutual fondness of tweaking. :)
That's my big thing with live acts. I want to see some aspect of rocking out with the equipment regardless of what it is. (accordions excluded)