• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Civilization - Beyond Earth

praktik

TRIBE Member
My life will not be the same.

Preordered for myself and a few friends - hoping they can be the early pioneers finding pitfalls for me as I will not be able to play until the 28th

G3N3R4L

TRIBE Member
I am hoping for a really good dynamic between other settlers and the indigenous population. Could make for some really fun gameplay.

As well, I am stoked about the affinity system + tech trees. Can't wait!

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
I have yet to read any news. I will buy tomorrow, and play.

I have thousands of hours in Civ V...so it'll be nice to try a fresh take on the thing.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Thousands?? My buddy is at 3.5k

Im at like 900 - Civ IV I had clocked a lot more I was just more wary of getting so addicted with V-i called IV my "dark passenger"

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Including today, Steam claims I have spent 6882 hours playing Civ V.

For 3 years(that I spent in small town SK)...there wasn't much else to do.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Wow good work sir - by my calculations you have spent about 1 hour in every 4 hours in SK playing Civ V

About 287 solid 24 hour days in game!

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
I think I had it beforehand, so it's likely not just time spent here...anyway, turn-based is excellent, as I watch films and shows at the same time...Consuming media like a fiend!

Bought Beyond Earth 'round 11 last night. Probably won't get time to play until tomorrow. Gonna make use of the free Saskatoon buses tonight.

G3N3R4L

TRIBE Member
Spent a couple hours on it last night messing around. So far it has been fun, but be careful when engaging the alien races off the start. They can smack you down pretty good, unlike barbarians in Civ V.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Yes my buddy does the same - has movies going while he plays...

Keep up the first impressions guys!

Can't wait to dig in next week!!

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

praktik

TRIBE Member
Argh!

So first day back update video drivers for Beyond Earth and then end up in a world of troubleshooting. Got to play a few mins and it was AWESOME

but crashed and trying to pinpoint source. I believe driver upgrade was coincidental, crashes happen even in fresh install before nvidia driver is even installed. Comp has been rock solid for a long time but is new CPU/RAM/Mobo plugged into a 4+ year old PSU

So have these weird crashes now and several reinstalls and trial and error later can get 100% awesome results from dos booted mem and CPU tests.

IN windows an intense GPU test is solid for a really long time.

But Prime95 will crash my comp - without error on screen/or in log of Prime - in a few mins!

Starting to think its a flaky 12A rail and no way to tell without another PSU - so grabbing one next week and worst case I will have a backup PSU for testing and best case its the PSU and all is well after.

One of strangest problems I've had - if PSU dont do it will replace the mobo - and if that don't do it i think there's a frickin ghost in there!

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
So the game is okay. I'm definitely not as immersed as in Civ V, and it definitely feels like a re-skin with some slight differences in gameplay.

I do like the tech web and the unit upgrade style(and quests), though...those parts are really new and interesting to me.

praktik

TRIBE Member
...and the affinities!!

Well a month of shitty troubleshooting and my issues are over - took a PSU swap before I tried mobo and lo and behold, new ASUS mobo and all is well.

So stuck with a gigabyte Z97 I am wondering about RMAing, even if repaired/exchanged who would I sell to? PLenty of geek forums but given my experience with it wouldn't feel right unless i could tell buyer was coming in fully eyes open. Any triber wants a Z97 and wants to buy a fresh replacement from Gigabyte let me know - was from their Black edition/extra validation version too and was surprised (also have two H55M-USB3 comps running strong on gigabyte still) but I guess anything can happen...

So after that is all out of the way was able to play into my first game with any seriousness only in past few days - loving the affinities and the unit differences. Think I needed the fresh take to get back into Civ with Civ V games commonly hitting a rut for me...

So far so good! Just got my supremacy robots and they fucking kick ass - takes a while to get any decent firepower!

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
I had several h55m-usb3s toast on me. After the shoddy support I got...I'm sticking to the stuff that I have only had great experiences with: Asus, and MSI(their support for Mobos is actually better than Asus IMO).

It does take a while to get over the hump of being really weak.

Still, I'm finding I get bored with it a lot quicker than I ever did with Civ V. Maybe it's just civ-fatigue in general.