1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Civ V rocks

Discussion in 'Technology' started by The Watcher, Sep 24, 2010.

1. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

LOVE LOVE LOVE this game.

Been playing for 2 evenings solid right now and it's AMAZING.

Anyone else get it yet?
  2. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

can't wait to. I expect my ass to be totally bruised.
  3. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

DL'd via steam last night. hoo haaaaa
  4. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I have it.

But Im waiting... MY video card is on the fritz and it makes no sense buying one with AMD set to launch a new line by end of october...

I also have Nov 1st and 2nd off for vacation, and I think that'll be the weekend i get a new card and start the addiction!
  5. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Been playing lots of it and love it.

I had a head-to-head session with a friend last night and we noticed some weirdness going on. Other players units moving during your turn ... wtf? And it appears that if you change a unit's orders when it's not your turn the unit sometimes completes both moves when your turn starts.
  6. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

spent 2 hours shitting around with settings & video card drivers last night to make it work somewhat respectable on my PC.

I found the sweet settings, so I'm ready to get this going.
  7. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

I DL'd it but its seems rather weak although I only played for a few turns on single player.

Menus are so blocky and huge.
  8. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

There's a setting to adjust the menu size.

I'm running in 1920x1600 and adjusted the menus to be small so they are barely in the way of anything.

I'm seriously owning right now with my french army. I'm eons ahead in the sciences that no one stands a chance. CRUSH! And I'm constantly in a golden age because of my huge lead.
  9. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

My on-going head-to-head game is turning out really interesting.

The importance of strategic resources like iron is huge. Only have 2 iron available and you can only build two iron dependant units or buildings or tile improvements at a time. This seriously prevents you from quickly building an army.
  10. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

^That makes City-States important allies, if you can befriend them and send a road to their city you can gain access to their resources.
  11. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

Highly addicted to this game.
  12. docta seuss

docta seuss TRIBE Member

civ never disappoints.. I've been playing steadily since trading a snickers for two floppies containing the original civ in grade 7.

that was in 1993, so basically I've spent thousands of hours over 17 years on this franchise.

time/money well spent?

regarding most games I'd say no, but i don't mind throwing hours at civ one little bit. =)
  13. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

IN other Sid Meier news - I got Pirates! going on my wii to tide me over til I replace my ailing videocard with something from the upcoming AMD 6x000 series...;) Fun stuff. Sid is a genius.

jealous of all y'all but I will be updating this thread with my Civ V thoughts in a month or so..;)
  14. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

Finally got around to starting a game today. Very awesome... bunch of little things that are different, and i'm liking already.

One thing i'm confused about is why do you now need to buy land? like from who?
  15. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Its more like spending the money to equip townspeople to set up and stake the area out, instead of buying it FROM anyone. It costs resources to expand territory!

Ok i'm loving this.

I feel so much more freedom in how I can play - I'm not guided to exploits like I couldn't help myself doing in Civ IV.... I'm playing "clean" and adaptive and having a blast.

The military part is awesome and I'm having tons of fun with the civics... REally liking Persia for the easier golden ages in conjunction with Piety to boost happiness. Really powerful if you trigger the golden ages during battle - your troops, workers, everyone gets one extra movement. Bring your crossbowman two spaces THEN fire!.... or one space, fire, one space back!

super awesome

...you can only stop playing when you want to stop playing...
  16. Bernnie Federko

still a lot of patches to be released to work out the bugs. I'm not amused at that. At all.
  17. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

yeah i figgered. it's lame, is what it is!
  18. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Civs are always patched a lot... not just to work out bugs but to improve AI and make other good changes... haven't run into any real bothersome bugs... think I couldnt see a worker once I knew I had, then he reappeared, the appropriate number of turns ahead on his project...

But as I understand it I started playing right after a patch came out - just cause thats when my comp was finally ready to run it - so I read in some forums somewhere that people were pissed. Seemed the bugs before the patch were a little more annoying.

But shit for me is pretty smooth. Smooth as a baby's bottom.
  19. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ya I dunno... had a few good moments with it: sneaking that iron that should by all rights be the other dudes just from natural growth...

Once there was some jerk ready to settle right on my periphery and get some gold and food.

Had a big bank so I bought all the territory around him - all the good shit - and he basically ended up planting this outpost on a tile with access to NO resources of any kind...

That was sweet man.

I see it as kind of an extra option on top of normal cultural growth to claim land and its pretty fun when you screw people with it.
  20. Bernnie Federko

How many turns you up to in your games?

(Haven't played in 2 weeks myself)
  21. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Always loved the middle/beginning of games in CIv - and especially now that Im exploring how this one works I havent taken one game to completion yet - usually end up starting with new variables and forgetting the game @1450-1700 or so, on Epic...

Think Im getting the hang of the start-middle now, might pick one of my games to take to the end or just start a new one and take it to the end...
  22. Bernnie Federko

23. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

oh I meant years - not turns - Im at 346

might explain my smooth experience, will make sure to save on 399 and I'll report back..;)
  24. Bernnie Federko

one more turn...
  25. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

well pushed past 400 by 5 or 6 turns las tnight - no issues ye t- except that the the Siamese, who my military advisor has been advising me could "wipe me off the planet" no matter how much I build/upgrade my military, and who has had 10 000 gold + for over 150 turns...

just declared war.

pretty sure Im toast - might load it up one day to witness the avalanche take me....