• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

CityTV videos

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

mutslaster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Chubbs
I saved.

They are on my desktop tho, so I cant share em till after I get home from *gasp* school!

conor hook a sister up-- i missed the whole damn thing!
stupidcomputersoundcardnotworkingbullshitfuck

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mutslaster
conor hook a sister up-- i missed the whole damn thing!
stupidcomputersoundcardnotworkingbullshitfuck

PM me your MSN or something or other, I'll host it tonight and hook you up with a link.

Ben: Xbox is a definate possibility. I'll give you a shout later and see whattaguan. Seen bredren? Booyaka.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Chubb to the rescue. Someone should put the 'Benny Hill' when Gord does the Roch-Homo dance.

I don't think Jo-Jo stole the Grand Marnier per se; the bottle was in one of those 'slings' (for lack of a better word), and looks like it was put out for guests. He was a guest, ergo, allowed to have some GM. Mind you, on the job wouldn't be so professional.

Question for the Toronto music scenesters: was there ever a punk rock band named Jo-Jo & The Chintos? A friend said there was but I don't believe him.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Seriously, I hope nobody catches shit for this. Who hasn't told off-colour jokes to friends in a private or semi-private setting. It doesn't mean anything. Gord Martineau isn't a moral pillar of our community, nor should we hold him up as such. It's so ridiculous how high our society elevates television and movie people. A comedian like Chris Rock can tell off-colour jokes for two hours and receive praise for it. It's a stupid double-standard I tells ya.

Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone and yadda yadda yadda.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

exrboy

TRIBE Promoter
Hoboman:

My memory is saying that there was a band called Jojo and the Chintos. I don't rememeber what kind of music they played but remember seeing their name in Eye or Now magazine.

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
NEWSFLASH: LOCAL NEWS ANCHORS ARE *NOT* CELEBRITIES!! I REPEAT!! LOCAL NEWS ANCHORS ARE *NOT* CELEBRITIES. Thank you.

(Directed at news personalities everywhere.)

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by exrboy
Hoboman:

My memory is saying that there was a band called Jojo and the Chintos. I don't rememeber what kind of music they played but remember seeing their name in Eye or Now magazine.

Awesome! My favourite memory of JoJo was back in 1996 when City was doing a piece on street hookers, and he was going around asking what he could get for $200. It was gold!

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by BigBadBaldy
NEWSFLASH: LOCAL NEWS ANCHORS ARE *NOT* CELEBRITIES!! I REPEAT!! LOCAL NEWS ANCHORS ARE *NOT* CELEBRITIES. Thank you.

(Directed at news personalities everywhere.)

Define celebrity for me. I'm pretty sure that news anchors (and anyone else on TV for the news) are local celebrities... and what does being a celebrity have to do with it anyway? Should a 'true celebrity' be judged differently than you or I?

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac
Seriously, I hope nobody catches shit for this. Who hasn't told off-colour jokes to friends in a private or semi-private setting. It doesn't mean anything. Gord Martineau isn't a moral pillar of our community, nor should we hold him up as such. It's so ridiculous how high our society elevates television and movie people. A comedian like Chris Rock can tell off-colour jokes for two hours and receive praise for it. It's a stupid double-standard I tells ya.

Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone and yadda yadda yadda.

One of the problems is that he didn't do it in front of "friends"...he did it in front of co-workers. And you never know who you'll offend. Piss one person off and your off-colour jokes end up on the internet. He should know that anything he does on camera could potentially end up being seen by the public.

Also comparing him to Chris Rock is ridiculous. They have two very different jobs and very different images. Chris Rock is known for being a rude and lewd comedian. That's what he's always done. Gord Martineau is there to read the news and represent CityTV.

~jen

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rejenerate
One of the problems is that he didn't do it in front of "friends"...he did it in front of co-workers. And you never know who you'll offend. Piss one person off and your off-colour jokes end up on the internet. He should know that anything he does on camera could potentially end up being seen by the public.

Also comparing him to Chris Rock is ridiculous. They have two very different jobs and very different images. Chris Rock is known for being a rude and lewd comedian. That's what he's always done. Gord Martineau is there to read the news and represent CityTV.

~jen

I call bushit! Because Rock is a comedian he can say whatever the fuck he wants and we laugh but because Gord says 1/10 the stuff Rock says while the show isn't on he's liable to be tarred and feathered? THAT'S what's called a Double-Standard and it sucks ass.

Celebrities - like everything else - works on a sliding scale. Tom Cruise is a top of the line, internationally known celebrity. Gord Martineau is a bottom of the line, local celebrity. It's not a black and white situation.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
I call bushit! Because Rock is a comedian he can say whatever the fuck he wants and we laugh but because Gord says 1/10 the stuff Rock says while the show isn't on he's liable to be tarred and feathered? THAT'S what's called a Double-Standard and it sucks ass.
i don't think what Gord said was a big deal, but working in the media, it's surprising he went that overboard with the cameras on.

But to your point, there's a world of difference between an anchor and a celebrity/comedian/actor. Gord's "celebrity", like a politician's is a byproduct of visibility, and not a desire to be in the public eye. And unlike celebrities, who are only circumscribed to the limits of what they want their image to be, like a politician a reporter/anchor is supposed to conduct their personal life/life in the public eye with a sense of sobriety and objectivity, because they're entrusted with something that's a public service. For example, a journalist isn't supposed to participate in any kind of public partisan or political behaviour (though admittedly some to seem to be clueless or don't care - Bev Thompson has hosted soirees for Fantino and Tories, and I once saw Evan Solomon the resident grill Michael Volpy at a candidates debate).

A grant you, these things vary according to occupation - the apology'll be fine for Gord, but wouldn't be for a highly visible police officer.

What i'm intrigued about is if Roch Voisine has any legal recourse here or if the tapes not being disseminated on-air prevents that (scurrying to media law textbook)?

rejenerate

TRIBE Member

Gord Martineau is a well-paid news anchor who is supposed to keep an air of respectability about him...that is what the public expects of him. And that includes respecting the stories he's reporting on. He has to be credible and impartial. For him to go to such lengths ON CAMERA is a big faux-pas on his part. After all his years in the business, he should know better. And think of how many people have access to those tapes...you only need to piss off one person and it goes public. It would be the same if he got really drunk in a bar and a bunch of people saw him doing his Roch Voisine dance...he's a public figure and he needs to make sure he upholds the image, as well as the image of the company he represents. That's why he had to apologize.

Chris Rock has built his reputation on being lewd, rude and critical...providing a commentary on society based on his own thoughts and opinions. He doesn't represent anyone but himself. A far, far cry from a news anchor, who, for the most part, only share their opinion on the weather and their plans for the weekend.

They are two different kinds of celebrities who play different roles in their jobs, and in society.

~jen

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
It's not a black and white situation.
Everything is. There is one right, and one wrong answer to everything and nothing else. Just ask me and I'll tell you what it is.

Speaking of grey Spaulding Gray has gone missing and I'm worried about him.

JAR

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by BigBadBaldy
Everything is. There is one right, and one wrong answer to everything and nothing else. Just ask me and I'll tell you what it is.

Speaking of grey Spaulding Gray has gone missing and I'm worried about him.

he's still missing? it's fairly likely he's dead. that guy has a history of suicide attempts.

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
They did a segment on him on John Walsh's nighttime show that I happened upon while channel surfing the other night.

Poor guy. Supposedly had a really bad car accident two years ago that he was still recovering from. He has a great sense of humour, and intelligence (from watching his monologues, anyway).

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
rejenerate sounds like someone who want the TV to raise her children into perfect little citizens.

Don't worry. I'm sure after Uncle Gordon has a disciplinary meeting with Moses we will be prim and proper even when he isn't at work or getting paid.

I think it's galling when someone thinks a person's job should be their jail sentence.