• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

City of Toronto Police Auction this Saturday

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Doing Your Bidding[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Ever wonder what the city does with all the stuff your hard-earned tax dollars buys them every year?

Turns out they sell it right back to you.

The annual City of Toronto public auction takes place this weekend, and there’s little doubt you’ll be able to find a bargain.

Every year, Toronto cleans out its offices, parking lots and desk drawers and puts what amounts to a city-wide ‘garage sale’ up for grabs in one location.

This year, it’s at the Queen Elizabeth Exhibit Hall at Exhibition Place and just like always, there are the items you’d expect.

Those looking for a good used car can bid on a ‘92 Chrysler minivan, a ‘96 Caprice or a 2003 Malibu, just to name a few.

Ever wanted to own your ambulance? Now you can – they have at least 20 on the block.

Or perhaps a police motorcycle is more your style. They’ve got plenty of those, too (top left).

There are the usual unwanted or replaced leftovers in the collection – desks, chairs, office furniture, computers, filing cabinets, carpets, drills, lawn mowers, snow blowers, cell phones, cameras, a pager, over 50 bicycles and more.

And then there are the bizarre items. The city is putting up a slew of typewriters. Does anyone actually use those anymore?

There’s also a hockey net, a water fountain, a coin machine and a paint mixer.

And there are some things that are almost inexplicable: a grey medical bed from a sick room, boxes of calculators listed as ‘broken’, size 52 pants (navy blue, no less), your very own jackhammer and one pair of Guess sunglasses in a black case.

And finally, there are those items that don’t seem to relate to city business at all. Take all those silver, cork, gold and stone necklaces on offer, a towable 26 foot long washroom trailer, those 54 air packs and that BMW motorcycle.

And what, exactly, is some city employee doing with a single Nintendo game while on the job?

None of these questions will be answered at the auction, but you can still put your bid in on any one of them and possibly come away with the bargain of a lifetime.

The auction takes place Saturday, May 13th at 9:30am, but you can get a preview by showing up an hour and a half earlier.

No matter what you win, it has to be picked up by the following Monday.

All the money raised goes back into the city’s coffers, presumably to pay for more items that will one day be outdated, unused or broken – and will be sold right back to you for next to nothing.

To see the complete list of what’s up for grabs, click here.
[/FONT]

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Timmy you should check out those Aquilla police bikes if yo are still looking for a bike.

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
This is my new plan this weekend. I will be biding on the 97 Jeep YJ. Then I can finally lay my current one to rest :D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
R4V4G3D_SKU11S said:
Is there a seperate auction for bikes?
Yes, but these ones seem to be Aquilla bikes - the ones the police use usually. They are custom made for the cops by Aquilla and look like pretty robust hybrid bikes which might be what Timmy was looking for last month. If they are not to beat up that is.... in any cae nothing that couldn't be fixed with a few new parts as long as the frames are good.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

littlejon

TRIBE Member
are they solid, the pigger aquillas?

as they ride around on them all day they must be pretty decent, but greedy me would like something light, as well. what do you know about those bikes, alex [or anyone]?
but i'd need one for a mini-pig, 'cause i am just not all that plump.

looks like there is some decent photo + lighting gear as well.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
littlejon said:
are they solid, the pigger aquillas?

as they ride around on them all day they must be pretty decent, but greedy me would like something light, as well. what do you know about those bikes, alex [or anyone]?
but i'd need one for a mini-pig, 'cause i am just not all that plump.

looks like there is some decent photo + lighting gear as well.

I emailed Aquilla for some specs, we will see if they get back with info.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder what kind of water fountain it is? like a drinking weater fouintain? or a full on outdoor fountain like:

lucky1

TRIBE Member
those police bikes are beaters... I was dealing with a bike cop at work and ask him about the bikes they ride.. he said they were basically heavy duty because they are always dropped and stuff and they weigh a tonne

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The Watcher said:
They are prolly being replaced by bikes with suspension
If you owned one of those bikes you could could sport a police light on yer helmut!

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
alexd said:
If you owned one of those bikes you could could sport a police light on yer helmut!

I wonder if you could make it look just like a cop bike and leave it anywhere you wanted unlocked

AbnerWigglestaf

TRIBE Member
R4V4G3D_SKU11S said:
Thanks alex. :) I'm looking for a road not a hybrid so I'll wait until the bike auction. What kindof deals can you get?

So there's a seperate bike auction sometime then? Anyone know when that takes place?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Aerius Zension said:
Thought I'm not going, there's lots of camera lens and goodies avail.

the broken flashes and zeiss lenses don't sound to appealing.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders