1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Chrome's Unconventional Speed Tests Are Incredible - Too Effin COOL

Discussion in 'Technology' started by glych t.anomaly, May 6, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Well, this is awesome. Here, Google has tested the speed of its Chrome browser against lightning, sound and a potato cannon, all in 2700fps slow motion. Just watch it.

fuck this is awesome !!!! and another reason why i <333 CHROME.

[jai]

2. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

3. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

safari is still faster on os x

great ad though

4. Kalemic

Kalemic TRIBE Promoter

Safari is stupid! Just like your face!

5. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

safari sucks balls on os x and i wish they would make a chrome that worked on 10.4

6. glych t.anomaly

i use both Safari and Chrome on my 13" Macbook, and chrome operates pretty much on par with Safari, and renders some pages better, and i like the overall functionality it provides more than Safari.

Safari is nice on a Mac, but Chrome across Win/Mac/Linux is easily the best browser hands down, and with the new Beta demonstration, it makes safari look like a slow bitch.

[jai]

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  7. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

Dude, I used to be in your shoes... till I escaped the shackles of an old G4. It's worth it. Emancipate!

It will be interesting to see how well they choose to make Chrome perform on OS X (with Google's resources, it's a matter of choice... anyone remember how poorly Real performed on OS 8-9), and until then it's really premature (yet true to form :) for some) to declare a browser to be the cross-platform winner. Love Safari's built-in debugging/inspector tool, (not quite as functional as FireBug but close) and of course the Activity window...

But back on topic, the latest Chrome 5 beta sure makes my Netbook happy! If you're on an Atom or older processor, you owe it to yourself to try it.

8. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

what does this even mean? do you mean safari sucks on windows? if so i would agree with you. its ugly, but fast, just like chrome.

re:chrome on 10.4 why would they bother? that shit is 3 years old now. join the modern age.

can you show data to support this? i don't use the windows or linux version, but every test i have seen puts os x safari ahead of chrome.

9. glych t.anomaly

I am running

Snow Leopard

Win 7

Ubuntu 9.10

all three OS, i am running Chrome/Chromium(linux Version Chrome is based off of)

Safari on PC is AWFUL. if you have ever used it, you would know this, especially compared to Chrome running on Win 7.

Safari doesnt exist for Linux as far as i know.

and on my Macbook Unibody 2.4 GHZ dual core, 4GB of DDR3 1067mhz.

Safari and Chrome both from a cold start and a Warm start i notice almost no difference between.

I was using Safari over any other brower till i tried Chrome 4.0 build, and i cant wait to start using the 5.0.

so my experiential use of the two browsers is what i am basing that off of.

across two platforms i can compare them on, and on the one safari doesnt even exist for.

[jai]

10. glych t.anomaly

hahahahahah

i opened 10 pages at once in chrome's new beta, and in the time it took me to click on each one to check to see if it was loaded, they were fully loaded.

so nice.

[jai]

11. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

After seeing that video, I think I am going to give chrome a try (currently a firefox person).

12. glych t.anomaly

i was a FF person till 2-3 months ago. and the 3.6.3 RCI blah blah, comparatively is just slow. and with the few add ons i sport, it was crashing at least a couple of times a day on me at work.

i cant remember Chrome ever crashing out, as each tab is its own process, in your process tree, so when a tab crashes, you still keep your main browser and all other tabs open.

Bookmark sync, means you can just log in with your gmail account, to any chrome browser on any computer, and it will have all your book marks, and the new beta is looking to also bring those add ons etc, over as well.

i love it, and have not looked back once.

[jai]

13. alexd

I am finding it loads most pages including TRIBE a lot faster but loads facebook a lot slower than firefox, hangs even.

14. glych t.anomaly

really? i was noticing it loads bookface alot faster for me, than FF ever has, bizarre, are you using the last stable 4.0 or the new beat 5 ?

both load it very fast for me compared to how FF loads it.

are you loading from a cold or a warm start?

[jai]

15. alexd

The first time was slow, I guess because nothing was cached. Now it is fast tho

16. glych t.anomaly

17. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

I find the more I add to FF, the slower it gets. I've heard even IE is faster than FF now. I still prefer FF because speed isn't a big issue over performance, however, Chrome is starting to shape up nicely.

Here's some recent Digg user stats. Check out the browser choice.

What’s the Average Digg User Like?

18. Sleepy Giant

Does anyone know why Chrome wont' keep me logged in on Tribe and other similar websites? I have cookies turned on and tried a couple suggestions I found by doing a websearch, but it's not working.

Wierd thing is that it does work on my laptop, not on my desktop

19. glych t.anomaly

you tried uninstalling, deleting the folder data, doing a registry clean with ccleaner, restart, fresh install of new download of latest build?

as well if you use your Google sync option, where you sync across all computers you have Chrome installed on, it will sync your settings, extensions, themes, bookmarks etc, so if you do that from your desktop where it works, then it would persist to your laptop.

[jai]

20. workdowntown

workdowntown TRIBE Member

^If they're using this program, it could be the cause of deleted cookies. It does erase history, cookies and all that after all.

It could also be that your chrome is set to open in privacy mode so none of the cookies will stay set.

You could also use lastpass extension if the problem persists.

21. glych t.anomaly

i meant using ccleaner for the registry, not to clean up their cookies, temp internet files, etc. its the second option down, and only advised to use it to get rid of the uninstalled programs registry files.

And i agree with both your statements after you initial point.

[jai]

22. Sleepy Giant

Reinstalling and restarting worked... The second time, needed to delete the folder data.

Thanks guys.