• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Choosing an area to live in

diablo

TRIBE Member
So I'm starting a new job next month, and I'll be moving closer to that job.

Assuming that your living quarters were comparable, would you rather live

a) on St. Clair between Dufferin and Bathurst (probably closer to Dufferin)

b) around Bloor and Dufferin

...and why?

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
actually, a) might be closer since you can jump on the university line instead of the bloor line.

also, the area around bathurst and st. clair is pretty nice. you'd be close to that little neighbourhood with the shops and restaurants (the one near those big churches) as well.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I Wouldn't Want To Live In Either Of Those Areas.. Dufferin And Bloor If I Had To Pick One Becasue Its On The Subway

ScottBentley

TRIBE Member
I work at Spadina and St Claire and it is a very nice neighbourhood...but it can be expensive...what's your budget?

rhyss

TRIBE Member
depends on what you want from the neighbourhood.

a) is closer to the subway, dufferin mall, etc, but
b) (especially closer to st.clair station) is a nicer place for living.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
definitely St Clair. Bloor & Dufferin is close to Lansdowne, there's sketch around there, there's general buminess, there's not really any nice places to walk/jog (unless you like CHristtie Pits), but there is a mall nearby full of young moms who smoke.

If I had the choice, I would definitely choose St Clair. Nice shops, good eats, close to university subway line, nicer area for walking/jogging/riding bikes, tons of little neighbourhoods with lots of trees and cute houses.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Is anybody reading what he is posting? St. Clair (CLOSER TO DUFFERIN). same shit as duff/bloor.

Anybody who doesn't like that area can always attend Bumbaclat's School of Trife Living to toughen up a little. Neither of these areas are bad, they're just not nice.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
I still think St Clair & Dufferin is WAY nicer than Bloor & Dufferin. There's the Dairy Freeze, and that outdoor pool with waterslide, all the little italian restaurants...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
yeah I think a little reading comprehension is in order here.

St. Clair close to dufferin is at least a 10-15 minute streetcar ride to st. clair west station.

St. Clair is a great neighborhood though. Bloor and dufferin is pretty sketchy but there are some nice streets off the main drags. You just have to deal with walking down the main drags.

I would say near St. Clair, it's a really nice neighborhood with great food all around and really not much of a hassle to get downtown.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I would assume you would choose according to which apartment is better.

There is more shopping on St. Clair (food, groceries and crap) but at Bloor and Dufferin, you're close to the subway and the mall.

Both can be sketchy depending on what street you pick.

Also where do you work??
Cuz seriously, either one is pretty much the same. I would choose according to which HOME is better, not neighbourhood.

I worked in both areas for years. Both have sketch, both have their good points. I've never had a problem in either except for the drive-by shooting near Dufferin and St. Clair. But that's more west anyway, near Weston.

diablo

TRIBE Member
ScottBentley said:
what's your budget?
Not much LOL. I'll be living in a one bedroom or a basement or something.

rhyss said:
depends on what you want from the neighbourhood.

a) is closer to the subway, dufferin mall, etc, but
b) (especially closer to st.clair station) is a nicer place for living.
I know that the neighbourhoods are fairly similar. I'd like a short TTC ride to work at Yonge and St. Clair and a *decent* neighbourhood...no one wants to live in a shithole, obviously. I have a car, so the parking may be a factor. I guess that means that having amenities like grocery stores in the immediate area is also less of an issue.

Basically, my only real reasons for considering Dufferin+Bloor over St. Clair are:

- direct subway to work, rather then adding bus or streetcar into the mix
- more South American women LOL (can I get an amen from Dr. Cosa?)

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
c) Find another neighbourhood.

St. Clair and Dufferin isn't all that bad, but like you've said it's pretty far from the core. I lived at Bloor and Dufferin for a year...do yourself a favour...don't.

mingster

TRIBE Member
there's a whole lotta neighbourhood between dufferin and bathurst and bloor and st clair. bloor and bathurst or ossington? dupont? basically you could be looking at anywhere in that square. i would agree with mofo and go with the nicest apartment you can find for what you're willing to spend. you can get used to almost any location.

diablo

TRIBE Member
vinder said:
if you work at yonge/st clair, why are you saying st clair closer to dufferin?
1. I don't want to be that far east (around Yonge)
2. cheaper
3. just kind of like the area better...I used to buy records from Fresh

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Isn't there a bus that goes along St Clair? To replace the streetcars they removed last year?

I used to live at Dundas/Dupont (which is right about where St Clair & Old Weston are) and work at Yonge & St Clair. It took me 15 minutes to get to Yonge & St Clair via the St Clair streetcar. Buses are even faster.

From the Dundas West station (two stops west of Dufferin on the Bloor line) it took me 25 - 30 minutes.