1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Choosing a router

Discussion in 'Technology' started by swenard, Mar 25, 2010.

1. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

I have a decent router, however I have noticed I need to reset it occasionally now that I use it for more things. Is it possible I need a faster router that can handle more?

I use it with a laptop and my WII wirelessly, a desktop, laptop wired and my PS3 wired. I'm constantly downloading and uploading lots of torrents all while watching HD movies/TV streamed from my computer to my PS3 and also using it to watch movies on my laptop, which are usually streamed from my computer, as well. Although, I also watch a lot of TV off of the internet.

This is all happening at the same time and sometimes when I am changing movies on my wireless laptop, I cannot no longer get back on and need to unplug and reset the router.

Is this just a case of needing a bigger and better router or something else? Any suggestions are appreciated

2. Dr. Grinch

Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

Torrent traffic is messy and can cause the buffer in your route tables in your router to fill up and lock the router up. Can also cause hanging connections, which too many of them again will lock the router up.
    If your router is an old one and doesn't support Wireless N and Gigabit and you want extra speed then upgrade to something new. You could also try an alternate firmware on your current router if it supports it. DDWRT is a great alternate firmware designed to handle the abuse you're throwing at your router.

3. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

I'll throw in my support for the Tomato firmware if you have an older Linksys router as well.

For what you're doing, it should still be fine. I would think the lockups are because of the firmware its running combined with torrents.

Lobo

4. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

I am currently using a DIR-655 .. lots of torrents, connected computers and streaming. no reboots needed.

Jay

5. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

I'm surprised though, as this is a new problem. I've been using this router for a couple of years, as my old one was not any good for handling any amount of torrents, this one has been fine. However, for the last few weeks, I need to reset it so often even though there has been no other changes.

6. SlipperyPete

SlipperyPete TRIBE Member