• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Chinese Cuts Military Spending

Genesius

TRIBE Member
Wow, and the times could be a changin'

Saturday Mar 4
AP- In a statement issued late Friday by China's Chief Officer of Defence, the chinese will cut their military spending by 33% over the next 3 years. "China will become a leader in the world mission for peace." the statement said. "We as Chinese know that we must set the global example in trusting our fellow nations, in doing what is right for the world community and our citizens." The statement was released to the public by Xin Ya Szu, who some Chinese insiders say, is a revolutionary tactition, well respected by the Chinese authority and has been the Chief Officer of Defence for under 2 years. "We as the Chinese government will focus more of our resources on national and local infrastructure, on better educating our citizens and providing social assistance where needed" he said Friday.
"This is very suprising." said Prof. James Caldwell of Cornell University. "I've never heard of a nation as powerful, influencial and controversial as the Chinese cutting military spending." Caldwell is a professer of political science and strategy at Cornell University. "It's certainly a very stark contrast to our US government's philosphy." He added.
No US officials could be reached for comment. It is expected, in light of the massive military spending by the current government that George Bush will issue a statement this morning saying "We Win!"

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
No US officials could be reached for comment. It is expected, in light of the massive military spending by the current government that George Bush will issue a statement this morning saying "We Win!"
Ha.

In other news I bow to our new Chinese overlords.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
Genesius said:
Wow, and the times could be a changin'

Saturday Mar 4
AP- In a statement issued late Friday by China's Chief Officer of Defence, the chinese will cut their military spending by 33% over the next 3 years. "China will become a leader in the world mission for peace." the statement said. "We as Chinese know that we must set the global example in trusting our fellow nations, in doing what is right for the world community and our citizens." The statement was released to the public by Xin Ya Szu, who some Chinese insiders say, is a revolutionary tactition, well respected by the Chinese authority and has been the Chief Officer of Defence for under 2 years. "We as the Chinese government will focus more of our resources on national and local infrastructure, on better educating our citizens and providing social assistance where needed" he said Friday.
"
yes the chineese have changed their accounting practices in hopes to fool morons into thinking they actually arent in the process of ammasing the largest military ever.

what balls to even come out with a statemetn like this.

Colm

TRIBE Member
I don't. Communists aren't sincere, especially in a factionalized nation like China. For all we know, they might have worked out a way to trim spending without actually trimming their military.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Genesius

TRIBE Member
Colm said:
I don't. Communists aren't sincere, especially in a factionalized nation like China. For all we know, they might have worked out a way to trim spending without actually trimming their military.
That's an interesting view point. Are capitalists more sincere than communists. We are talking about a revolutionary thing here. Whether it is sincere or not is yet to be seen, but at least the words behind it are powerful and I think it forces it a response.

xopus

TRIBE Member
i think if you were to compare communists and capitalists, only in capitalist markets would you find the degree of war profiteering that occurs in the US. It is pretty undeniable that big business drives a great deal of war.

I'm impressed with the chinese gov't on this. even if they happened to be lying, the statement in itself sends a pretty damn good message to leaders and people worldwide.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Right on!

I will never complain when a nation reduces money to its military. I think China will reduce its military allowing India and Pakistan to finally reduce in chain.

However I'm waiting for confirmation on this article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4775350.stm

States that china will increase military spending by %14, and it was published friday...

Taro

TRIBE Member
I hope they do reduce it...although, if I were them at this point in history, I would likely be increasing it too - considering the geopolitical state of affairs.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
xopus said:
i think if you were to compare communists and capitalists, only in capitalist markets would you find the degree of war profiteering that occurs in the US. It is pretty undeniable that big business drives a great deal of war.

I'm impressed with the chinese gov't on this. even if they happened to be lying, the statement in itself sends a pretty damn good message to leaders and people worldwide.
Agreed.

Could this be a form of economic warfare being waged by China vs. the US? The US economy thrives so much on the military-industrial complex that any reduction in the drums of war could hurt in the long run. Now while the US is still mired in Iraq, none of this could happen at all quickly by any means.

But, if China is at least half sincere, and backs off it's confrontational tone in certain areas, I think it would end up having the effect of thumbing it's nose at the US and leaving the US as the world's #1 war monger. Hardly a title worth bragging about.

That's their advantage of having everything state run. No conflicting interests in any course of action. They just decide to do it, and go ahead with the plan. There's not much else of advantage in their system though, unless you like oppressing people. Although, again, if they really are sincere about getting more money to the poor rural areas and diverting money away from their military spending, they'll be doing more (by comparison since they don't do a whole helluva lot now) for their poor and for their environment than the US.

Again, this all hinges on them being half sincere.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Colm

TRIBE Member
xopus said:
I think you've forgotten how profitable the arms trade is for everyone, not just capitalists. When I said communists are not sincere, I didn't mean everyone else necessarily is by comparison.

dig this

TRIBE Member
a few weeks ago i posted an article in this forum about china cleaning up cause they recognize the social instibility of such a polluted country. i hope they do, and i hope they cut military spending. man, can you imagine china being the role models for world peace & sustainable living? perhaps the times they are a chang'n.

Genesius

TRIBE Member
Ok, I have to confess here. I made up the article. It wasn't meant to be taken really seriously in the first place... read the ending! Anyway I'm sorry it was now, but I thought it would be an interesting exercise to see what peoples reactions would be to a 'good news' story... like can you imagine a country coming out and saying those kind of things... would be pretty cool. Anyway here's the real article... my apologies again if I mislead anyone... it was meant to be a parody.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4773358.stm

Lurker

TRIBE Member
LOL @ Geniuses

Good one! (seriously!)

It would be quite the big deal if they were to come out and do that though, and I think that there's more advantage for them to have an instant change of heart and wave the peace flag, since they could adapt quicker than the Americans and gain any kind of PR upperhand (see above post of mine).

Ahh well, the whole global mess makes for interesting reading and armchair theory discussion. Given how much things have changed in most of our lives thus far (compared to our parents when they were our age) I wonder where things will be even 5 years from now? More or less war is probably the main vairable. US currency & economic collapse the other (see threads on oil in euros).

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

dig this

TRIBE Member
hmm... ever consider a carreer at the national inquirer? i think you have a talent for bogus journalism. it read like a real article.

atbell

TRIBE Member
Genesius said:
Ok, I have to confess here. I made up the article. It wasn't meant to be taken really seriously in the first place... read the ending! Anyway I'm sorry it was now, but I thought it would be an interesting exercise to see what peoples reactions would be to a 'good news' story... like can you imagine a country coming out and saying those kind of things... would be pretty cool. Anyway here's the real article... my apologies again if I mislead anyone... it was meant to be a parody.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4773358.stm
Hilarious!

The thread was good to read too. It really made me think about the tactical side of reported defense spending. Makes me wonder, is there an advantage to under reporting (as the US claims China does anyway) defense spending?

Or what about over stating? There is a part of me that wonders just how much military bullying can be done based only on perceived military might. Sure the US has a strong, well funded military ... but Iraq has shown exactly where it is weak. And the rest of the world (Iran, south America) are responding in a way that suggests they are no longer afraid of the US military machine.

In perfect hindsight it might have been better for the US to have carried out surgical strikes in Iraq to get Saddam instead of a full out occupation that has shown the whole world the limits of this supposedly well oiled war machine.