1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Child Care options in Toronto.. advice please.

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by L Train, Mar 30, 2010.

1. L Train

L Train TRIBE Member

Hi.
    We are currently looking for AFFORDABLE child care in Toronto. Specifically the Annex area or in the financial district. Unfortunately, all affordable options have a wait list some as long as 2 years.
    Any insight, ideas or referrals?

Thank you in advance!!

2. Kinger

Kinger TRIBE Member

This could have been avoided for $40.

3. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

Apparently in China you can just throw em in the river

4. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Look for in-home daycare, there are usually ads in community centers or variety stores...

5. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

you could check in that little community centre at bloor and spadina. my friend used to do an afternoon school program with kids there, they might have other daycare type things?
    I also suggest asking in the mum thread in the girls forum.

6. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

well done.

[jai]

7. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

Try Wee Watch. Its in home daycare and Wee Watch regulates them and provides the learning material for the kiddies.

Not ideal but its affordable and good until you find the one you really want.

We used them for about 6 months until we got our kid into the daycare we wanted.

Wait lists are crazy in the city. Good luck.

8. rhyss

rhyss TRIBE Member

9. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

Offer the person managing the wait list a couple of hundred bucks and watch how fast you get moved up the list.

10. erika

erika TRIBE Member

The Miles Nadal JCC at Bloor and Spadina has daycare
    I believe that Palmerston daycare still operates out of the other building at Palmerston public school; they may both have wait lists.
    Further west there's something at the corner of Ossington and Bloor
    Look at drop-in places (like the one on Bathurst south of Dupont) for homecare ads; also health food stores/co-ops in your neighbourhood.

Good luck!

11. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

That totally sounds like the kind of place I want taking care of my kid. :rolleyes:

12. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

great list to start with. also try Family Day Care.

13. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

What about Kids & Company? It's offered in some places downtown if you work down there. A couple of people from my old job had their kids in there and seemed ok with it (only one guy complained about the service). I think there was one location that was in the TD building on Wellington.

Lobo

14. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

It's very common.

I've yet to visit a daycare that won't let you skip the line for a "donation" (dealt with three so far, personally)

Before you get all upset, hospitals, nursing homes, colleges, Universities, etc. all follow this practice.

15. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

We used Kids n Co for a few months at 320 Front and the Wellington locale... They are not the cheapest but you may get in easier... Being Toronto you have to get on the list for anything involving kids before they are even born... Good luck and try not to stress out... Another option is to go halves on a nanny with someone...

16. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Ikea ball room. It's free!

17. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

LOL.

A lock on the basement door also works.

18. Kinger

Kinger TRIBE Member

Looking for affordable daycare and being cheap are not the same thing.

19. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

Only if they meet the height requirement...

20. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member