• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Chickens

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
How chickens have changed since the 1950's:

By8qcIRIAAEZH1B.jpg

Stop Bill C-10

acheron

TRIBE Member
i'll be honest, this is a good thing. Given the world's exploding population, more efficient foodstocks are exactly the kind of thing we need.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
i'll be honest, this is a good thing. Given the world's exploding population, more efficient foodstocks are exactly the kind of thing we need.

Except too bad everyone is breeding the gigantic single breed of chickens and we're losing genetic diversity. Once something comes along to decimate that population there won't be anything left to breed with and the entire system will collapse.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Except too bad everyone is breeding the gigantic single breed of chickens and we're losing genetic diversity. Once something comes along to decimate that population there won't be anything left to breed with and the entire system will collapse.

Chicken Ebola!

acheron

TRIBE Member
there are hundreds of breeds of chicken still clucking around farms all over the world. there's no risk of loss of genetic diversity - the chickens we see in north america are of several varieties all mixed in together, all of them bred to be as large as possible.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
turkeys are now so big that artificial insemination is needed to breed the biggest birds because they are literally too fat to fuck.

acheron

TRIBE Member
...or it's because they allow the male breeder turkeys to grow to their full potential (they live up to 10 years and are significantly larger than juvenile females because of their age. We don't eat breeders because they're essentially all dark meat. The females are still what some might consider "normal" sized - it's the males that are huge. You've seen prize turkeys at a fall fair, right? They're enormous. Always have been.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
Give Thanks? Science Supersized Your Turkey Dinner | WIRED

Anderson, who has bred the birds for 26 years, said the key technical advance was artificial insemination, which came into widespread use in the 1960s, right around the time that turkey size starts to skyrocket. The reason is that turkeys over 30 pounds are “inefficient” breeders: It’s difficult for them to actually perform the natural mating act. With artificial insemination, the largest birds can still be used as sires, even if they have a hard time walking, let alone engaging in sexual reproduction.

“You can spread the one tom around better. It adds a whole new level of efficiency. You can spread him over more hens,” Anderson said. “It takes the lid off how big the bird can be. If the size of the bird keeps them from mating, then you’re stuck.”

acheron

TRIBE Member
yeah one of my wife's cousins raises turkeys on her farm every year - she keeps a close eye on their growth rate, you get the chicks or whatever baby turkeys are called in at a specific time, and feed them up to whatever the target size is but they grow really quickly around that time so if you miss your harvest window they balloon into these tough birds that don't taste as good. 20-25 lbs is the ideal.

praktik

TRIBE Member

Saw some doc on meat recently, cant remember if it was NAture of Things or Horizon (well they do the same shows and share shit a lot)

But what was interesting was how the carbon argument can warp the debate on eating meat: chicken has one of the lowest carbon footprints you can get in a piece of meat, beef/lamb are near the highest.

So if you want to save the planet - eat chicken I guess

praktik

TRIBE Member
^^ For real, I can't wait til we can just synthesize meat in petri dishes. Its the best way to do it - just grow a damned chicken breast so you dont have to mistreat a living creature - you just make the meat you want.

But in my little daydream I realized this would take a long time to penetrate human tradition - of course it would only be something a few rich countries did. And we'd be faced with two forms of reaction in society: food traditionalists who will assert, even if it isn't true, that "naturally grown" chickens taste better and demand their freedom to keep doing it that way - and you'll have the luddite hippies scared of technology asserting again its fundamental "unnaturalness". While the Patchouli Massiv are often vegetarians I would think that their support would be fragile. You would think they would be behind it cause it means we dont have to kill whole chickens, but it would be so "new fangled" it would hive off this potential support to a serious extent I think and be seen as a bit of frankenfood, cause who else would synthesize chickens but Big Corporations?

So while I cant help but think this is where we have to go - it wont really be widely adopted I think until some of us leave the planet for the stars - for them it will be their only source of meat and they'd have no recourse to farming.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
You're right, it is a huge leap to go from a natural chicken breast to a synthetic (i.e. 3D printed) chicken breast. It challenges our very notion of what is real meat, similarly to GMO foods but to a much more extreme scale.

Being someone who has a regimented diet I already look at food primarily as fuel. I don't care how I cover all my macros and get in my nutrients, as long as I get them in my belly. Perhaps society at-large will have to espouse this same belief and be rest assured that the synthetic food they consume is safe.

But we have such a distrust of establishments nowadays, whether political, economic, scientific, etc. No matter what the science says we will likely disregard establishment assurances in favour of anti-establishment "truth seekers."

Maybe if science could cure aging and death first, we will not be so worried about eating chicken produced by Canon.