• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Chicken Pox

groovespinna

TRIBE Member
yeah, so Im 28 and haven't had this shit yet. now I've learned that a little brat kid of my exes has them and we were hanging out a week ago (apparently, that would be the contagious time)
is this gonna suck?
I feel so dirty....

Crazlegs

TRIBE Member
It's actually harder for adults. I don't even think they call it chicken pocks, I think when an adult gets it, it's shingles. I wouldn't want to be you right now.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
groovespinna said:
yeah, so Im 28 and haven't had this shit yet. now I've learned that a little brat kid of my exes has them and we were hanging out a week ago (apparently, that would be the contagious time)
is this gonna suck?
I feel so dirty....

28 and never had the pox! jesus this is going to suck for you.

If you actually catch them I'd give your doctor a call because of your age.

Katman

TRIBE Member
groovespinna said:
is this gonna suck?
I feel so dirty....
I had them when I was 19 or 20... it fucking sucked. You feel like absolute shit for about a week...fever, achy and itchy as all fuck. It affects different people in different ways, however and you might be one of the lucky ones.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
A friend of mine had in when he was in his 30s... He was sick for 2 weeks.

It boggles my mind that some parents try to prevent their kids from getting this when they're young and it's so much easier to deal with.

groovespinna

TRIBE Member
no one tried to prevent anything.
I was just never around it, I suppose.
maybe I didn't have any friends, I don't fucking know.
but the point is, FUUUUUUUCK!

acheron

TRIBE Member
they vaccinate for it now (finally) --- if they didn't we'd be doing what a lot of parents do - as soon as they hear of a kid that has chicken pox, they take their kids right over and let them play with him/her so they get it too. Then it's over and done with... Much easier to deal with it when the kid's 5 or 6.

groovespinna

TRIBE Member
the funny part is, I knew this would happen the second he was born. I was with this girl when he was born, but he isn't mine. anyway, I held him and thought to myself... 'this is him. this is the little fuck sent to bring the pox'
and now here we are.

acheron

TRIBE Member
this is funny (from wikipedia):
Pox parties

A "pox party" is a party held by parents for the purpose of infecting their children with childhood diseases. Similar ideas have applied to other diseases, e.g. measles, but are now discouraged by doctors and health services. The rationale behind such parties is that guests exposed to the varicella virus will contract the disease and develop strong and persistent immunity, at an age before disaster is likely particularly from chickenpox or rubella. Such parties are now less common in mainstream communities. They are essentially a revival of primitive, pre-vaccination attempts at inoculation.

-----
not so funny:

Effects

Child with varicella disease.

Chickenpox has a two-week incubation period and is highly contagious by air transmission two days before symptoms appear. Therefore, chickenpox spreads quickly through schools and other places of close contact. Once someone has been infected with the disease, they usually develop protective immunity for life. It is fairly rare to get the chickenpox multiple times, but it is possible for people with irregular immune systems. As the disease is more severe if contracted by an adult, parents have been known to ensure their children become infected before adulthood.
The disease can be fatal. Pregnant women and those with immune system depression are more at risk. Death is usually from varicella pneumonia. In the US, 55 percent of chickenpox deaths were in the over-20 age group. Pregnant women not known to be immune and who come into contact with chickenpox should contact their doctor immediately, as the virus can cause serious problems for the fetus. In the UK Varicella antibodies are measured as part of the routine of antenatal care, and by 2005 all NHS healthcare personnel had determined their immunity and been immunised if they were non-immune and have direct patient contact.
Later in life, viruses remaining in the nerves can develop into the painful disease shingles, particularly in people with compromised immune systems, such as the elderly, and perhaps even those suffering sunburn. Some of these will develop zoster-associated pain or post-herpetic neuralgia, described usually as "horrible" or "excruciating". A chickenpox vaccine has been available since 1995, and is now required in some countries for children to be admitted into elementary school. In addition, effective medications (e.g. aciclovir) are available to treat chickenpox in healthy and immunocompromised persons.
Symptomatic treatment—calamine lotion to ease itching and paracetamol to reduce fever—is widely used. Aspirin is contraindicated in children, as it can lead to Reye's syndrome.

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
groovespinna said:
if this hits, Im gonna need a hookup to some strong sedatives.
Jay if you didn't get the chicken pox as a child, it's highly probable that you were given the varicella zoster vaccine (VZV).

And you know what? If you didn't get the VZV, NOW would be a bloody good time. You hung out with the kid a week ago, the incubation time period (as you probably know from your research) is 10-21 days post-exposure.

Go see your doctor. There's tons of stuff you can do to mimize the severity of the outbreak, including taking one of many anti-viral medications prescribed frequently for people inconvenienced by Herpes (varicella zoster is a herpetic virus). Acyclovir is the most commonly prescribed. Not to mention, your Doc can tell you if you've been vaccinated.

And relax man. There's lots of virulent stuff floating around. You're probably fine.

(as an aside, for really good, online medical information, refer to the Merck Online Medical Library: http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec23/ch273/ch273c.html?qt=varicella zoster incubation&alt=sh)

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Crazlegs said:
It's actually harder for adults. I don't even think they call it chicken pocks, I think when an adult gets it, it's shingles. I wouldn't want to be you right now.

Not quite right

Shingles is a reactivation of the chicken pock virus in someone who has already had the chicken pocks. When you get over the chicken pox the virus is stored in your spine, and then for some reason it becomes active again in some people and travels along a specific nerve to the skin surface.

Shingles is much more painful, and the pain lingers, and the virus can cause more serious damage depending what nerve its on. if you get shingles on your eye you can go blind or deph if its around your ear.

I had shingles almost three years ago and have had issues ever since having them... (the nerves in my stomach do not get stimulated to make acid, I had the rash on my stomach side area)

lucky1

TRIBE Member
oh and groove.. if you get it.. you have my pitty.. I forgot how freaking itchy it was... I only had shingles in one area and couldn't not itch.. (but when you itch you spread it and more spots appear! )

you could maybe go the doc and get a prescription for vatrex (thats what I took) but you need to start taking it within 48hours of the spots so it is most effective.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
lucky1's posts about shingles piqued my curiosity about the disease, so i went and read the wiki entry about it. i think i was always under the wrong impression about shingles. i used to think that people who had never had chicken pox were the only people who would get shingles as adults. but obviously that is not the case!

check this out - pretty neat!

Shingles blisters are unusual in that they only appear on one side of the body. That is because the chickenpox virus can remain dormant for decades, and does so inside the spinal column or a nerve fiber. If it reactivates as shingles, it affects only a single nerve fiber, or ganglion, which can radiate to only one side of the body. The blisters therefore only affect one area of the body and do not cross the midline. They are most common on the torso, but can also appear on the face (where they are potentially hazardous to vision) or other parts of the body.

tonep

TRIBE Member
Crazlegs said:
yeah, they call it herpes

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
groovespinna said:
is this gonna suck?
I feel so dirty....
Ive never had the chicken pox and i have taken care of both my little sister and brother when they had it and i got nothing. The doctor told me some people are immune.

Psyrel

TRIBE Member
When I had chicken pox a few years ago acyclovir was my saviour! I had huge blisters all over, even the soles of my feet and within a few days they dried down to pinpricks and disappeared. I don't want to even imagine what would have resulted if I hadn't been prescribed it.