• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

*chic talk alert* Hair straightener recommendations??

madnezz

TRIBE Member
I've never used or own one, so i have no idea where to go or what to get!!! I'm willing to pay what it takes to get quality...

recommendations? places to go? Someone told me RadioShack, but i have a hard time believing it!!!

THANKS GALS!!!!!

- L

mingster

TRIBE Member
are you talking about a hair straightening appliance?

i have one that i got at trade secrets. you can borrow it if you wanna try it out. :)

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
get the ceramic straighteners - ballpark figure of $200.

or just a really good hairdryer (like the ones they use in salons), if you're patient enough to blowdry your hair with a tight brush.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

madnezz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster
are you talking about a hair straightening appliance?

i have one that i got at trade secrets. you can borrow it if you wanna try it out. :)
I CALL A BRA PARTY!!!!!!!!!!

how much should i expect to pay for a good one?

I've also heard different things about clay ones and metal ones???

oh the dilemnas

vox

TRIBE Member
i got a ceramic plated one for 80 bucks from the toronto barber and beauty supply place.

fightingskurvy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Libradragon

or just a really good hairdryer (like the ones they use in salons), if you're patient enough to blowdry your hair with a tight brush.
I have one of these. amazing.

the brand is ceramix- it retails at $140

madnezz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Libradragon

holy camole! 200 eh.... i guess it would be worth it if i used it...

and ixnay on the blowdryay

mingster

TRIBE Member
i payed $50 for mine, and it's metal. it works pretty good. no complaints. i don't know if i'd spend less.

also, the conair one is shit. SHIT.

meh..i don't use mine enough to warrant spending more than say, $75.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by madnezz

and ixnay on the blowdryay
you know, you'll get the best results if you blow-dry first, and then straighten.

it really won't look as good if you let your hair air-dry and then try to straighten it.

littlenutty

TRIBE Member
i'm queen of hair straightening, i have really curly hair and i've been wearing it pin straight everyday for the past 10 years. Yes use a ceramic flat iron, i paid $200 for mine but it was well worth every penny. You need one that goes to 180 degrees for the sleekest smoothest results. If your hair is just a bit wavy a less hot one will do the trick. It has my hair like silk with one stroke. They sell them at cosmetic world on yonge. as far as lotions i use KMS smoothing lotion. It's humidity resistant so it hot sweaty clubs my hair doesn't frizz.

:)

fightingskurvy

TRIBE Member
i got mine for salon cost ($80 bucks). i had a metal one...but it was more of a headache. I have pretty thick and course hair and it takes me less around 15 minutes to straighten my whole head.

littlenutty

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by littlenutty
i'm queen of hair straightening, i have really curly hair and i've been wearing it pin straight everyday for the past 10 years. Yes use a ceramic flat iron, i paid $200 for mine but it was well worth every penny. You need one that goes to 180 degrees for the sleekest smoothest results. If your hair is just a bit wavy a less hot one will do the trick. It has my hair like silk with one stroke. They sell them at cosmetic world on yonge. as far as lotions i use KMS smoothing lotion. It's humidity resistant so it hot sweaty clubs my hair doesn't frizz.

p.s. with the silk hair flat iron (thats what its called) you will still get amazing results air drying and then flat ironing, no blowdrying required at all...

fightingskurvy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by littlenutty

i use kms products as well. a quick blow dry and a ceramic straightener...and no frizz for the whole night in normal club conditions.

acheron

TRIBE Member
I wonder what would happen if someone used a hair straightener on their 'hair down there'.

Reminds me of a Playboy magazine ripoff that came out in the early eighties -- anyone remember the name? -- and the featured centerfold was Princess Diana - it was a primo airbrush job - no photoshop yet - and what really stuck out was that her blonde public hair was staight with a pigtail curl.

Just curious.

IgStar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by acheron
I wonder what would happen if someone used a hair straightener on their 'hair down there'.

Reminds me of a Playboy magazine ripoff that came out in the early eighties -- anyone remember the name? -- and the featured centerfold was Princess Diana - it was a primo airbrush job - no photoshop yet - and what really stuck out was that her blonde public hair was staight with a pigtail curl.

Just curious.
thankfully, the '"hair down there" is not long enough to straighten. :eek:

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster
also, the conair one is shit. SHIT.
Really? That's what I have... mind you, my hair's not curly, just weirdly wavy, so it does the trick for me.

But yeah, if you want your hair to be ABSOLUTELY straight, or if your hair is curly, the Conair one is probably not your best option.

zoo

TRIBE Member
my sister is on her second "CONAIR" hair iron, and third "CONAIR" blow-dryer

my girlfriend is on her second "CONAIR" blowdryer

tells you about the build quality [or lack thereof]

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Silvershadow
Really? That's what I have... mind you, my hair's not curly, just weirdly wavy, so it does the trick for me.

But yeah, if you want your hair to be ABSOLUTELY straight, or if your hair is curly, the Conair one is probably not your best option.
yeah, my friend has one and it just seems wobbly. not a sturdy product.

the straightening plates that you iron your hair with, don't touch on all corners (not so flat), so your hair doesn't get flat as well.

L'ilMisSunshine

TRIBE Member
I totally recommend one available at my hairdresser's - Salon Vivace in Yorkville. It is $200, on sale right now for $150.

It heats up to 200 degrees and use negative ions so that it allegedly does not damage hair like normal straighteners do. It also flattens the hair cuticle making it look so much more shiny and bringing out the hair colour more. I don't have to straighten my hair first and I have pretty wavy hair. I just put a straightening balm in it and brush it out while it air dries and then flat iron it. It's truly amazing and I highly recommend it.

SpaceBabe

TRIBE Member
Hum.. I use my sister's hair straightner and I thought it was Conair.. but maybe it isn't because I think it rocks.

I had a CHEAP conair one before and it was pretty useless.

My sister's one is REALLY good and I find it does a fantastic job.

I finally went and got my hair permed straight. My hair is FUSSY FREE FOR ANOTHER 6 MONTHS! The salon I get my hair straightened does an amazing job of straightening hair.

MAGIC STRAIGHT PERM.