• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Cherry Bitch! Launch June 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
what nice way to end the weekend, there was a live band but sadly no red turtle:mad:

cheers to Dave, Irving and everyone else involved, this is easily one of my favorite regular events in the city.

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
Hali's set at around 10pm (?) was insane... I havn't danced that hard for a long long time. The live band was great, they had a unique funky-techy sound that I can't quite describe. There was also a strange guy playing with a dog who would fall over a lot, he was funny. All in all a really great time, thanks to all those who make it happen.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
After a spectacular saturday night/sunday morning, I was really lookin' forward to spendin' a bit of time at the beach. Arrived around 5:30ish, and the place was comfortably busy, and the cherry beach community was slowly growing...not too sure if this was/is the first time they've had live bands, but I enjoyed the diversity.

Anyone know the name of the band that came on a little before 7ish? I enjoyed the couple tracks they played before I took off for the evening...good sound they had! I wish I could've stayed longer but my body was simply worn out...there's always next time though;)

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Really nice to chill out with a book and gf for a couple of hours. We left when it got chilly because we're weak like that.

Thanks for another one, Promise!

Bean

TRIBE Member
i had lots of fun! it was good to just park myself on a blanket for a few hours.

the two bands added an interesting twist to the afternoon.

looking forward to a summer of cherry beaches! :)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
That was wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicked. We went to the docks for awhile because my friends made me go...but by 830 i was itching to hang out with normal people so we headed to cherry beach....SIIIIIICK beats! was so wicked....definitely heading there next week after Honey!

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
we went early and left early (we had been up since dawn) but it was nice while we were there. nice people and funky mid-day tunes. it sure was green!

some pics from while we were there:

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
The band was THE JIMMY SWIFT BAND- Also seen at Make IT Funky a couple weeks ago as well as a packed show at Lees Palace on Saturday. They are a sick fusion band that is headling the band stage at wemf.

SpaceBabe

TRIBE Member
JimmySwiftBand was awesome.

Loved listening and watching them perform.

ahhhh.. I missed Cherry beach parties.

Even tho it was a bit chilly what a great day and evening.

Hi NORM! Good seeing you again. Glad that you are able to appreciate both worlds.

And thanks Kubester for the meat!

AshG

what the fuck?
as if i missed everyone down there....

good times - caught the end of the first band, which was nice.

Rollin Cash was quite good - really enjoyed his set.

Jimmy Swift were very good as well i thought - very rhythmic... kinda felt a bit like an electronic thing though not...

Missed Hal's set unfortunately.
School night!

The Kid

TRIBE Member
So glad cherry beach sundays are back! Had a good time but left pretty early, had been up since 9am working in the garden so by 6ish 7ish I was pretty beat. Jimmy Swift band kicked ass, good times!!!

kuba

TRIBE Member
I had a great time yesterday. I think I was one of the few from my group that enjoyed the reggae. I can't wait for next week.

davehill79

TRIBE Promoter
a bit disspaointed to have missed the first one, but my poor brain had enough and decioded to pack in for a little time.. Great to see it back, may the summer begin!!!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

knoledgebass

TRIBE Promoter
The band at 7 PM was Halifax's THE JIMMY SWIFT BAND or JSB for short

here's a quick photo I took, hopefully more photos will show up in this thread, as there was some great photographers to document the wild jams.

THE JIMMY SWIFT BAND
www.thejimmyswiftband.com
www.myspace.com/tjsb

Hot off a 3 week tour of Central Canada, Halifax's The Jimmy Swift Band rocked Ontario by headlining the Come Together Music Festival, performing as the secret band at the Make it Funky Party on June 3rd w/ Greg J, Phat Conductor & The Dukes @ The El Mocambo, was a highlight of the NXNE Conference; headlining the Agency Group's showcase night at LEE's Palace, to boot they wowed audiences at Promise's Cherry Beach party yesterday. This summer will be quite busy for the quartet who are playing alongside Broken Social Scene and Goldie at WEMF www.wemf.com , headlining the Evolve Festival in Nova Scotia www.evolvefestival.com w/ DJ Sneak, Antibalas, k-os and DJ Dan and JSB will also be dropping their 3 studio album this summer tentatively called "..and we milked it for all it was worth"

Check out their myspace page and the instrumental tunes Astronauts and 80's Runway Model, two songs they performed yesterday. www.myspace.com/tjsb

JSB will be back in Ontario late July, I'll post info here asap. The Jimmy Swift Band would like to thank everyone who has supported them on this tour! Please email me if you would like to see more JSB in Toronto...

Jay
jay@evovlefestival.com

Last edited:

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
cherry beach is the best weekly free event in the history of ever. toronto is blessed. was lovin the reggae riddims, and the jimmy swift band tore it up. events like promise cherry beach make this city world class.

it's good to be back home, oh how i missed this time zone. strangers are fascinating, their mysteries never end, but there's nothing like looking at your own history in the faces of your friends. - ani difranco

~*...normaste...*~

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
I'll be going every week for sure. Its really nice to go to an event with such positive energy. You dont see too much of them anymore (i miss OM...*tear*)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
that 420 guy said:
cherry beach is the best weekly free event in the history of ever. toronto is blessed. was lovin the reggae riddims, and the jimmy swift band tore it up. events like promise cherry beach make this city world class.

it's good to be back home, oh how i missed this time zone. strangers are fascinating, their mysteries never end, but there's nothing like looking at your own history in the faces of your friends. - ani difranco

~*...normaste...*~
A-fuckin-MEN!!
(my how i love Ani.)
i should've headed down to Cherry beach at 2pm when I was ready, but decided to wait on people who ended up getting their shit together way after 6pm and by then i was too pooped to participate.

yay to summer and yay to Promise Cherry Beach!

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
http://static.flickr.com/55/165997048_c0f753bf7b.jpg

Those are REALLY good for phone pics. I thought mine were great res. But those are someof the best I've seen for sure.

I wasn't 100% if that was your thumb... or if I was giving you the finger! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.