• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Cherry beach- take back the beach people need to organize

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
noodle said:
I've seen family picnics held at cherry beach with more people gathered than who was there last night.

That kind of police presence WAS way out of line.
at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I think it's fair to say the police were expecting far more people to show up given the last long weekend party.

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
I think it's great that everyone seems willing to step up and do what they can to support the Promise parties. I agree with Mark, however, that randomly sending individual letters without a clear strategy or direction could very well hurt the cause, not help it. D&I are the closest to this event, the police and potential actions that can be taken. Why don't we wait until we hear from their camp before we go running off and do our own thing?

noodle

TRIBE Member
But that many people didn't show up yet they still continued to send for more backup as the crowed was getting smaller not larger.

AshG

Rude1_247 said:
I won't pretend that this wasn't influenced by politics, in fact I've repeatedly said that this was a direct result of the current political hot topic being the waterfront. In an election year, politicians need to give the appearance of listening to their constituents (of which the vast majority of us who attend the parties are not).

That being said, even if this wasn't a political move, the cops still were within their rights to shut it down. If we could *honestly* defend ourselves by saying there were no bylaw infractions, then perhaps we would have a case. Unfortunately, we drink and smoke in front of the bylaw officers every week and have taken that freedom for granted.
that's fine, then the police should go after those who are actually breaking the law, not everyone there.

that's really the problem - they're not enforcing the law at all, but rather a political agenda. and that is not their job, nor their right, and in fact is a violation of those who were there and not doing anything illegal.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
thanks d

looks like there were more than 20 or so peeps out after dark.

I'd really love to hear what Dave & Irving have to say about this. I'm sure we'll all have something in our Inbox soon.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
looks like it was going to be a great party!

That being said, after seeing those pics I don't have a clue where you guys are getting all of this riot-squad stuff from..... from those pics the police force looks waaaaaay smaller than some of the posts in these threads would have you believe.

noodle

TRIBE Member
you're the one who's so hell bent on proving people wrong. I don't see what's so wrong with people getting pissed off over the POLICE over reacting.

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:
looks like it was going to be a great party!

That being said, after seeing those pics I don't have a clue where you guys are getting all of this riot-squad stuff from..... from those pics the police force looks waaaaaay smaller than some of the posts in these threads would have you believe.
LOL...exactly!!! For heaven's sakes, I thought I was going to see a pretty scary display after all the overwraught terminology used to describe the "excessive show of force" (which by the way didn't appear to be used.) And Ash, the whole "go after those who are actually breaking the law" bit is lame. It really is. On a number of fronts. And a tad ironic.

Alex, thanks for posting the pics. But your use of the term "riot police vs. family" on one of them is highly disingenuous.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
noodle said:
you're the one who's so hell bent on proving people wrong. I don't see what's so wrong with people getting pissed off over the POLICE over reacting.
I'm not trying to prove you wrong, I'm trying to inject a little rational thought into this retarded non-issue. Cops shut down a party... it happens. There were no riot police. There were 5 squad cars and some horsies to shut down a party where they expected roughly 1000 people, where there's a known history of drugs and alcohol (omg!). The longer you guys keep complaining that your feelings got hurt, the longer this issue is in the public eye, and the longer this issue is in the public eye the more likely shut-downs like this will become a permanent thing rather than an unexpected annoyance. Move on, or at least let Dave and Irving take the lead on whatever campaign they want to mount.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
noodle said:
How many people were arrested?
How many people were abused and/or assaulted by the police?
How many charges were laid?
How many fines were levied?
How many personal items were seized by the cops?
When was the last time you looked up the meaning of "POLICE over reacting?"

noodle

TRIBE Member
I would wager to say very few to no charges/fines/whatever were laid which is why the fact that so much police presence was there was an over reaction and unnessesary.

L'ilMisSunshine

TRIBE Member
AshG said:
that's fine, then the police should go after those who are actually breaking the law, not everyone there.

that's really the problem - they're not enforcing the law at all, but rather a political agenda. and that is not their job, nor their right, and in fact is a violation of those who were there and not doing anything illegal.
I completely agree.

This was the most peaceful and innocent promise party I've been to or seen. There was pretty much zero grounds for kicking us off the beach.

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
^ You completely agree with what?

With AshG's comment that the police "were not enforcing the law at all?" That those who were there were "violated?" That no one was breaking the law?

With what do you "completely agree?"

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter

How dare you infest this beach girl, you are breaking the law knitting that blanket under the influence of that outrageous music they call electronica. You will be sentenced guilty, for being guilty of getting sand in yer strings and slitch, amongst others Mr Dave and Irving our guilty of producing a picnic permit, without picnic paraphernalia.

crazy!

aether

TRIBE Member
hey, just an idea, but you should probably cc that guy/gal who wrote the star article about how great for the city the cherry beach parties are. that might have helped expose cherry beach to begin with, but i seem to recall it being a very pro-cherry-beach article. maybe they'd take it under their wing as a "police have their priorities messed up" issue.

Snuffalupagus

TRIBE Member
Because I was there I have to disagree with you Rude1. There were about 15 police and toronto by-law officers. and there was 3 mounted police in riot gear.

between 6-7 cruisers and a paddy wagon.

I know cause i counted on my way out.

So while it was not quite a riot squad is was quite a lot of force for a bunch of dancing hippies and drummers.

leisure

TRIBE Promoter
why not said:
noise issues, and sudden capacity issues.

this is the new toronto.
no doubt. same way you can't throw a good sized later nite party in the downtown core anymore because you're going to get noise complaints from condo owners. i think the cops are just doing their job, most of the young ones you can tell are almost apologetic about fukcing up the party (some may be partying there if off duty) i heart t.o. but if i could change one thing it would be this preoccupation with having things quiet and sanitized like that psycho town in "Footloose"

L'ilMisSunshine

TRIBE Member
Vincent Vega said:
^ You completely agree with what?

With AshG's comment that the police "were not enforcing the law at all?" That those who were there were "violated?" That no one was breaking the law?

With what do you "completely agree?"
I completely agree that the police should enforce laws - so the minority of those with open liquor or beer could be fined in this case as there were no other laws being broken. The main purpose of the police at cherry beach yesterday was to make everyone leave the public space; to my knowledge there are no laws that support their actions. Therefore they were violating the rights of people to congregate peacefully in public.