• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Cheeseburger Bill

shylock_one

TRIBE Member
US shields fast-food firms from obesity cases

Suzanne Goldenberg in Washington
Friday March 12, 2004
The Guardian

America's fast-food industry savoured a victory over consumer activists yesterday after Congress approved a "cheeseburger bill" to shield restaurant franchises and food firms from blame for making customers "dangerously fat".
By 276 to 139 votes Congress on Wednesday night moved to ban lawsuits against the industry that enjoys a grip on America's eating habits and has grown into the country's second largest employer.

The vote, championed by Republicans, has yet to pass the US Senate, but it was hailed by Republican legislators as a boost for "personal responsibility", and received the White House's endorsement.

A White House statement said: "Food manufacturers and sellers should not be held liable for injury because of a person's consumption of legal, unadulterated food, and weight gain or obesity."

However, consumer rights groups say more is at stake with the cheeseburger bill than a wake-up call for Americans to take control of poor eating habits and sedentary lifestyles. Jennifer Keller, a nutritionist on the Physicians' Committee for Responsible Medicine, said: "The unfortunate thing is that without the threat of litigation and lawsuits, the food industry is not going to take any steps to provide healthy options."

The threat of such lawsuits was widely seen as the impetus for the bill, along with the considerations of an election year. Last week, Republican legislators attempted to ban lawsuits against gun shops and weapons manufacturers.

But there were signs this week of a growing backlash against fast-food franchises as Americans take stock of their girth. Two in three American adults and nine million US children are obese.

Earlier this week, the Centres for Disease Control released a study predicting obesity soon overtaking smoking as a leading cause of preventable disease. About 400,000 Americans died through bad diet and lack of exercise in 2000, a rise of 33% over a decade, the study said.

Meanwhile, McDonald's announced it was phasing out super-sized soft drinks and french fries, which nutritionists have blamed for America's ballooning waistlines.

Both consumer and health groups argue that a ban on lawsuits would relieve the pressure on the fast-food industry to meet concerns about health and obesity. They say class-action lawsuits - the focus of the cheeseburger bill - played a crucial role in making the tobacco industry more accountable. Lawsuits highlighted for Americans the link between smoking and cancer and the way tobacco firms try to make cigarettes yet more addictive. "We are only just now discovering that the food industry does work to manipulate people's food choices," Ms Keller said.

So on one hand it seems to be another example of the government protecting big business, but on the other hand, people should take responsibility for themselves.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
That's too bad. I was looking forward to seeing fatties trundle over to the witness stand, put their hand on the Bible and swear, and ask for fries with that.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Holy fuck. If people don't want to eat poorly and become obese then it's pretty simple.

STOP EATING CRAPPY FAST FOOD

AND GET OFF YOUR FAT ASS AND GET SOME EXERCISE

How hard is that?

And if they want better choices, stop supporting these places, and as profits fall, they'll get the message and create healthy alternatives.

Not to mention enterprising entrepeneurs will create the healthy version of fast food.

People need to start taking responsibility for their own actions.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by shylock_one
So on one hand it seems to be another example of the government protecting big business,

This is the only thing they really care about.

If people wanna sue a big company like McDonalds for making them fat then I believe is should be handled on a one to one basis. I doubt individuals will win because they do have to be accountable for their own eating habits.

Would this bill prevent big companies being sued for putting in an additive that say, causes cancer (of course they wouldn't knowingly do it, but there's lots of new shit being added to food) and now wouldn't be held liable in the future?

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Littlest Hobo
That's too bad. I was looking forward to seeing fatties trundle over to the witness stand, put their hand on the Bible and swear, and ask for fries with that.

lol!!! so wrong, and yet sooooo funny!

sk8

TRIBE Member
i was really hoping this thread was going to be a guy named cheeseburger bill who had adventures or was a superhero or a cartoon.... something like that

but instead it's about fat americans

i wish i had a drawing program to draw "cheeseburger bill" the superhero.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by shylock_one
So on one hand it seems to be another example of the government protecting big business
The bill applies to all restaurants, whether it be McDonald's or a mom-and-pop burger joint

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
A White House statement said: "Food manufacturers and sellers should not be held liable for injury because of a person's consumption of legal, unadulterated food, and weight gain or obesity."

Take this quote, use a very smart lawyer, change the wording and you'll see why they really passed this bill.

A White House statement said: "Gun manufacturers and sellers should not be held liable for injury because of a person's illegal use, unadulterated gun control, and lack of morality."

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
Not that I particularily agree with protecting big companies but if some idiot gets fat from eating too many hamburguers then thats his fault.

Plain and simple.

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
I read the thread title as "Cheeseburger Hill" and thought that it was maybe about a spoof movie (a la Leslie Neilson) of "Hamburger Hill".

Continue on with the real discussion.

Cheers ... Ian :)

KiX

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
and the circle of life is thus complete

sillylarry.jpg

now it is.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
last time I was in Vegas I stayed at the Belagio and a friend and I ordered 2 cheeseburgers with fries from roomservice. Grand total bill: $49 US plus we had to tip the guy who brought it up.

biggest.cheeseburger.bill.ever.

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bitchass
last time I was in Vegas I stayed at the Belagio and a friend and I ordered 2 cheeseburgers with fries from roomservice. Grand total bill: $49 US plus we had to tip the guy who brought it up.

biggest.cheeseburger.bill.ever.

was it worth it?

bitchass

TRIBE Member
did you know that the toilets at the Belagio have high powered air compressors in the back instead of a water tank, and if you flush without closing the lid the contents of the toilet bowl get sprayed all over the bathroom?

bitchass

TRIBE Member
wasn't really worth it. i heard there are a couple restaurants in new york comepting for 'most expensive hamburger' and use kobe beef and truffles. that might be worth it.