• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Charles and Camilla visit cost us 2.57 million

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Royal visit cost Canadians $2.57M
By PETER ZIMONJIC, NATIONAL BUREAU, SUN MEDIA

OTTAWA — They came, they saw, they spent the shirt off our backs.

The visit of Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, cost Canadian taxpayers an estimated $2.57 million, according to documents released through access to information.

The same documents estimate a proposed visit to Canada in June/July 2010 by the Queen, would cost the public purse another $3.64 million.

“This is as good an argument as I have ever heard for a republic of Canada,” said NDP MP Pat Martin. “It’s time for us to get rid of the monarchy and grow up.

“Most Canadians tolerate the monarchy so long as it doesn’t cost anything, but in this day and age, in these economic times, that’s an absurd amount of money for the pleasure of their company.”

The documents, obtained by Ottawa researcher Ken Rubin, show the estimated cost of hotel rooms for the royal couple and their entourage was almost $138,000 for the 10-night, 11-day stay.

Other spending highlights from the November trip include $50,000 to design a website specifically for the visit, almost $320,000 for communications and media staff and another $630,000 to pay the salaries for the royal visit team.

Taxpayers will also have to pay $41,000 for programs and luggage tags printed for the visit.

A part of the estimated budget for the visit was a $500,000 allocation for the costs of having Prince Charles attend the Remembrance Day ceremony in Ottawa. The documents say it didn’t cost that much in the end, but that the government would not have the final figures until sometime in 2010.

Deirdra McCracken, the director of communications for Heritage Minister James Moore, says the visit was planned “with the current economic situation in mind” and that all “cost savings were examined where possible.”

McCracken also said discussions for the Queen’s visit in June/July were well underway and the dates of that trip “will be announced shortly.”

That visit will prove to be more costly, with $1 million having already been budgeted for special Canada Day ceremonies to honour the visit of the Monarch.

“In light of the current fiscal situation of this government, with us running the biggest structural deficit in history, a visit from the Queen is a cost we just can’t bear,” Martin said. “We should consider doing this by conference call or e-mail, it would be a lot cheaper.”

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
hmmm.

Devils Advocate here: isn't a lot of money being put into our economy? For example the hotel rooms: aren't hotels hurting right now because of less business/tourist travel? Isn't $138,000 a boon to them?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I do think that these little dingbats at the bottom of each website page make it so much more royal! Added value!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I'd rather pay 630 grand to give people jobs running the prince around the country than 630 grand to maintain the gun registry.

Moez

TRIBE Member
amazing.

let's cut more arts funding so we can fund bullshit visits from them.

amazing.

cut cut cut.

Deus

TRIBE Member
I'd rather pay 630 grand to give people jobs running the prince around the country than 630 grand to maintain the gun registry.
Clearly the person who wrote that article hasn't though beyond shock of the face cost of the visit. Most of the money was spent on actually employing Canadians.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Clearly the person who wrote that article hasn't though beyond shock of the face cost of the visit. Most of the money was spent on actually employing Canadians.
its clipped from the sun so i guess that explains it.

i'm just pissed they didn't pay me 50 grand to design their website... :(

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
“This is as good an argument as I have ever heard for a republic of Canada,” said NDP MP Pat Martin. “It’s time for us to get rid of the monarchy and grow up.
Really, THIS is the best argument?

Does a country suddenly stop entertaining foreign dignitaries once it becomes a republic? We blew a few million dollars on President Obama's visit to Canada and he's not even on our money.

praktik

TRIBE Member
<grumble grumble grumble> I'm a hardworking Canadian taxpayer and I ______________ <grumble grumble grumble>

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Have any of you given serious thought to just how thoroughly the crown is woven into the fabric of Canadian governance and what a monumental undertaking it would be to break from it?

acheron

TRIBE Member
I loves me some Queeny action. Even her retarded children are fun to watch. I don't really care if they're obsolete or 'unnecessary'. They are a direct link to our country's history.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Have any of you given serious thought to just how thoroughly the crown is woven into the fabric of Canadian governance and what a monumental undertaking it would be to break from it?
Hold up, it's not just a handwritten missive to Liz saying 'Peace out'?

JamesM

TRIBE Member
I think when harper goes to starbucks. His coffee somehow costs $1,000. Just put in on the old governnent bill, please!

acheron

TRIBE Member
Naw he doesn't drink Starbucks' swill... he goes to the Peruvian consulate for a Human Fat Latte (a Fatte?)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders