• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Charities

mondo

TRIBE Promoter
Do you support any charities here in the T Dot?

Just curious as to how many walk it like they talk it. :D

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I support the United Way, and Biug Brothers. Of all the charities these two have always stood out for me. Something about Big Brothers just screams common sense preventative, and the United Way has a very good track record on some very big projects.

Of the religously affiliated charities the St Vincent de Paul society has impressed me more times than I can count.

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much
...Big Brothers. Of all the charities these two have always stood out for me. Something about Big Brothers just screams common sense preventative...

I agree. I had a big brother when I was young. That organization is awesome. I plan to become a big brother when I mature a bit more.

I support the out of the cold program. I donate, volunteer, have and will continue to procure corporate support for them.

A dude who also volunteers there shared an amazing idea with me. He became involved with them through his family. What he told me is that every christmas for the last 5 or 6 years about 8 or 10 of his close family members (wife, father/mother/brother/in-laws) on both sides, get together for their christmas thing. After dinner they all have an alloted span of time to "pitch" a charity that they have researched for the past couple months. The pitch process turns into a debate, with the end result being a democratic decission regarding where their charity efforts will be focused for that year. They do that instead of giving each other gifts.

I think that's an awesome idea. For some reason I prefer to concentrate my community work in one area. The poor and homeless are a huge concern of mine, so I focus on it. But this dude's family has gone a step further... he's focused the efforts of his entire family on one cause for one year. They've also each individually spent a good amount of time studying and debating where they can do the most with their money/time.

So they all pour cash into the program, some of them procure clothes, some of them procure more money, and some of them put in the hours. That one family's contribution ends up being HUGE, which is great for them (because they can see great results from their contribution) and great for the organization for obvious reasons.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
United Way, Green Peace and occassionally Red Cross. I am ceasing my Green Peace donations however.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mondo

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Boss Hog
United Way, Green Peace and occassionally Red Cross. I am ceasing my Green Peace donations however.

Why are you ceasing Green Peace donations?

Adam

TRIBE Member
I support the Toronto Humane Society and WarChild.

I've been meaning to find a city homeless charity to support. Any have any suggestions?

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Adam
I support the Toronto Humane Society and WarChild.

I've been meaning to find a city homeless charity to support. Any have any suggestions?

Ya, out of the cold as mentioned above. It's a great program, check it out.

expat

TRIBE Member
no...you might be thinking of Church of Latter Day Saints (the one with the father-son commercials in the 80s)

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by beatnik
no...you might be thinking of Church of Latter Day Saints (the one with the father-son commercials in the 80s)

I've noticed that most Church of Latter Day Saints have Salvation Army boxes. Either way both institutions have a shit load of mulla!

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1
Every year I support "Sheena's Place".

It's a home helping women with eating disorders.

www.sheenasplace.org

That's an awesome, awesome organization. They've helped a few friends out, and i can't say enough good things about them.

I donate to United Way (I do it through payroll deduction and we get to direct where the money goes, so I scooch mine directly to the Canadian Centre for Victims of Torture, an organization that does ESL, job skills training and settlement services for refugees and other victims of torture) and the Humane Society every month.

Jer - me and my family have decided to do that up instead of exchanging gifts starting Christmas 2004. I'm totally excited about it.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
I've heard a lot of bad things about United Way, but don't remember the specifics. Something about the admin costs being allot higher than similiar charities. If anyone has more info on this I'd be curious.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Actually the United Way in Canada has a pretty good rep. I think about 85% of the money they raise goes directly to the charities they're fundraising for.

There was a big expose type article in the Toronto Star a while ago that talked about charities that spend more on administrative costs than on the cause they're supposed to be supporting, but the United Way was on their list of charities that were doing pretty well.

mondo

TRIBE Promoter
You know when one day you reach an age of reason.

You know one day when you realize that politics is important.

And one day you figure out that supporting a charity you believe

in is important in your life. Trying to reduce the suffering of other

sentient beings. Those are pivotal times in life. :)