• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Charges Laid In Toronto Drug Squad Probe

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Turn on CBC Newsworld..... the guy looks so sad reading this out......

Charges laid in Toronto drug squad probe
Last Updated Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:09:29

TORONTO - Charges were laid Wednesday against six Toronto police officers following the largest corruption investigation in the history of Canadian policing.

The former drug squad officers are charged with conspiracy to obstruct justice and various other offences including extortion, theft, assault and perjury.

They turned themselves in Wednesday morning. A seventh officer was arrested Monday on drug trafficking and possession charges.

The charges come after a two-and-a-half-year internal police investigation led by an RCMP task force.

The investigation was launched by Toronto Police Chief Julian Fantino after more than 200 drug cases were dropped by provincial prosecutors. Many of the accused drug offenders had filed civil lawsuits alleging drug squad officers beat them and stole their money.

One of the complainants, Christopher Quigley, filed a suit that he was beaten so badly that he had to go to the hospital after police arrested him in 1998.

RELATED

Coverage from CBC Toronto

"These are extremely vicious, dangerous people that have no boundaries, that are obviously, or think that they are above the law," he said.

Police lawyer Gary Clewley maintains that Quigley's story isn't true.

"They didn't do it. Nothing novel about that. Not guilty."

Ten other lawsuits were filed alleging similar crimes. Police and the city of Toronto settled several of them, with an agreement that the details will remain confidential.

Clewley has always said those lawsuits were simply a tool used by drug dealers to cast suspicion on the police.

"Their superiors knew what they were doing and how they were doing it and they didn't have any problem with it," he said.

"Some of them were promoted, many were encouraged to stay in the drug squad for longer periods than ordinary because they were doing an excellent job."

Clewley also questioned the RCMP-led task force that investigated.

"The motto of the RCMP has always been exaggerate now and investigate later."

Written by CBC News Online staff

source

ddiplomat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Littlest Hobo
I wouldn't hold your breath for a conviction.

I disagree, this has been goin on since about 1995.

HAHAHA dood looke like his heart was broken.

LOfknL

SuperKennyK

TRIBE Member
cops

I can't blame them. If I was a cop I don't think I could resist taking advantage of my situation. Although I don't condone the violence!:)