1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Chapters / Indigo's KOBO ereader: Does it suck? Or is it OK?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by alexd, Jun 7, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

It seems CHapters is selling their own version of an ebook reader called the KOBO.... It is selling for less than half the cost of the Sony ebook reader. Does anyone have it? Is it any good? Or is it crap?

2. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

I've played with it and found it great.

It's been getting good reviews on the web if you do some google searching.
  3. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

it's not the best. it comes with like 100 classic books preloaded that can't be removed very easily. considering it's hard to navigate books, clogging it up with 100 ones you didn't confirm you wanted is a huge pain.

to my knowledge almost every ebook out there is purchased using visa. i would like to buy using paypal like using debit when i go to the store.

for non-fiction i am pretty sure it can't display any diagrams (the iphone version can). so for almost every book i buy, i look in the store first to see if it has any chance of translating to the device well.

sometimes it takes many tries of syncing to load my purchased book and to be able to find it.

this is all funny because i thought the thing i wouldn't like about it the most is that the page flashes black when you turn to the next one. that ended up being the least of my worries.

another thing is the white model has a bright blue button on the front - i was lucky and got the black one with the grey button. however i am left handed and this button is on the right.

what is helping to save face of this is that it is not totally locked up like kindle, however i cannot find anywhere to get quality epub book files.

here's a cool feature - if you use instapaper you can go around the web and "clip" articles. then in the instapaper site you can download them to the reader.
  4. JCrack

JCrack TRIBE Member

I was looking at one of these and comparing to the Sony E-Reader, Sony seems much nicer and there is a model for the same price, as well as a touch screen one for $179. Don't know from personal experience though, I am just looking at them as a gift idea.
  5. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin TRIBE Member

dont think the sony is a wi fi e-reader like the kobo is.....i've heard only good things about this years version in comparison to their last one.......got it for my sister as a gift this year

i'll play around with it and report back
  6. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

I was looking to buy one.. seems they have a lot of screen problems.

7. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

i would believe that the new version is a lot better. i still haven't been able to upgrade the firmware on the old one. also now you can buy chapters gift cards and put the money in your kobo account which makes a big diifferent.

anyways i'm kind of convinced kindle is the winner here.
  8. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

The fam got one as a Christmas gift and I've been setting it up a bit.

Navigation and screen refresh/response time is a bit slow. Hard to buy content online today as the servers are getting hammered. Screen is not backlit, but the text looks crisp and very readable. It's almost like you're really looking at printed copy rather than an LCD.

Will post more later.
  9. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Myself, the wife and the brother/sister-in-law all got Kindles.

Now, to find them online.

Are most e-readers DRM locked?
  10. ian

ian TRIBE Member

I have the latest Kobo and I love it. Once nice feature it has is that you can take books out of the library for free and you have X amount of time to read them before it deletes them. I also find it even easier on my eyes than a normal book. The price was right as well.
  11. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

if it was backlit, you wouldn't be able to read it outside very easily. amazon used this is a marketing tactic.

kobo reader is not locked, you can put epub and pdf books on it using Adobe Digital Editions software. PDF is a bad format for these kinds of e-readers though.

the books you buy from kobo store are locked in some way from what i can tell because i can't find the raw file.