• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

CG is getting too real in some cases

gasper

TRIBE Member
how do we know that the artist didn't start with a real photo?

these ARE almost too real. kind of freaky.
 

deevah

TRIBE Member
some of those are really disturbing in terms of realism

the monica bellucci one in particular, the jolie one at least i can tell is cgi

but they're really kewl!
 

acheron

TRIBE Member
ehh... they all look like they're embalmed.

That girl's helmet looks awesome, though.. very real.
 

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Until my wife brings me on Jerry Springer JR. to tell me that she is infact a CG image and our entire marriage has been BS... then it hasn't been too real yet.
 

Alita

TRIBE Member
Hi Greg! :)

And yes hair too. I find that sometimes CG tries too hard to look real - and that just backfires.
 

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
Read up on the 'valley of the uncanny' As things approach photorealism they start looking alarmingly fake - something just isn't right. We're willng to accept something that is 70% real, but 90% freaks us out.

In the case of the pics, they are wonderfully modeled, lit, and textured, but something just looks 'off'. Until they can find a way to model the subsurface scattering and the semi-opaque, luminescent quality that skin has.
 
Last edited:

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
It also doesn't help that most photos in magazines are touched up, especially junk like Maxim where they use the airbrush like a fire extinguisher and the photo looks like the cover of a romance novel.

Because we're pretty used to that stuff already, the fake stuff looks even closer to "real".
 

dig this

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
It also doesn't help that most photos in magazines are touched up, especially junk like Maxim where they use the airbrush like a fire extinguisher and the photo looks like the cover of a romance novel.

Because we're pretty used to that stuff already, the fake stuff looks even closer to "real".
not to mention real women too (and i'm sure a few men too) that have enough plastic & makeup on their face to make 'em look like a magazine photo that's been cg'd...
 

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dig this
not to mention real women too (and i'm sure a few men too) that have enough plastic & makeup on their face to make 'em look like a magazine photo that's been cg'd...
What?! You mean you can't break pool cues on your girl's ass or use her tits as a coat rack? You must be doing something wrong.
 

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
It also doesn't help that most photos in magazines are touched up, especially junk like Maxim where they use the airbrush like a fire extinguisher and the photo looks like the cover of a romance novel.

Because we're pretty used to that stuff already, the fake stuff looks even closer to "real".
I have a friend in LA who does photoshop airbrushing for a living. The work is never-ending and extremely lucrative.. Easy $2-10K per cover depending on the circulation of the magazine. It is amazing (read: technique not implications) how much the average cover girl is chopped up or "refinished"

i.e. eye baggage... gone! 1/4 of thigh thickness.. gone! Extra lip volume…. You got it! etc.

I also have a film efx friend who spent three weeks removing back hair from Bruce Willis footage one frame at a time. That's not quite as sexy as covergirl overhauls though...

,g
 

deevah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
It also doesn't help that most photos in magazines are touched up, especially junk like Maxim where they use the airbrush like a fire extinguisher and the photo looks like the cover of a romance novel.

Because we're pretty used to that stuff already, the fake stuff looks even closer to "real".

good point
 

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by gsnuff
I also have a film efx friend who spent three weeks removing back hair from Bruce Willis footage one frame at a time.
This is the total nightmare job for anyone studying this shit in college. haha....
 

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
This is the total nightmare job for anyone studying this shit in college. haha....
I'd do it for a couple of months at 3K USD / week.
 
Top