• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Ceramic frying pans vs. nonstick or teflon frying pans

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
anybody here saying cast iron is better, is clueless to the uses of ceramic.

it's a completely different kitchen tool, and is similar to saying a serrated knife is better then a chef knife. they both have different uses!

if you want to cook a great steak, sure your cast iron will be better. but, you're not going to use that pan if you want to perfectly pan fry a fish fillet while keeping the skin in tact. in fact, i would challenge anybody who thinks they can to do so.same goes with an omelette. not going to happen on cast iron.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I was at Tap Phong or whatever that place is called on Spadina by Baldwin St.. You know the place - it is full of china and plastic bowls and bamboo steamers... They have a small side area in the store with commercial grade cookware, dishes, kitchen equipment, and I saw some really heavy duty ceramic pans in there. I am going to go back this week and see if I can get a good egg pan.

LikeASweet

TRIBE Member
I have both cast iron and ceramic. I tend to use cast iron for meat and anything that needs a good seer. Also for things like cornbread, pizza and even cake...I use ceramic for everything else. Both are great and I have had no issues with sticking with either.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
I was at Tap Phong or whatever that place is called on Spadina by Baldwin St.. You know the place - it is full of china and plastic bowls and bamboo steamers... They have a small side area in the store with commercial grade cookware, dishes, kitchen equipment, and I saw some really heavy duty ceramic pans in there. I am going to go back this week and see if I can get a good egg pan.
They have decent selection, but you can get better quality at a similar pricepoint from the Berghoff guy in the little "mall" (on Kensington Ave). Hes the main Berghoff supplier for Canada and has great prices on quality kitchenware

djfear

TRIBE Member
I have a ceramic coated cast iron pot, I will fry some eggs in it and see how it's different, though it may not be the same.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
They have decent selection, but you can get better quality at a similar pricepoint from the Berghoff guy in the little "mall" (on Kensington Ave). Hes the main Berghoff supplier for Canada and has great prices on quality kitchenware
I have never heard of that mall place. Is it near the TD machine on Kensington just south of the cheese stores?

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
I have never heard of that mall place. Is it near the TD machine on Kensington just south of the cheese stores?
yep, on that same block. it's barely a mall, but more of a hallway with different shops (jamaican hair place, exile, and a few other small booths)

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
If you don't find one healthy butcher has them for ~$70

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
I have a ceramic coated cast iron pot, I will fry some eggs in it and see how it's different, though it may not be the same.
I don't think that's the same...? Yours sounds like its enamel coated... Like a Le Cruseuet Dutch oven. Or is enamel actually ceramic? Anyway my enameled cast iron is definitely not non stick. Just wondering what this ceramic coated cast iron is. Sounds like the best of everything.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
This is a great read if you want to learn about the properties of various cookware materials.

I read all that and now I am a cookware metallurgical expert! The only problem with the piece is that it is 10 years old and does not include information on the latest ceramic coatings for pans.

I remember my Mom always wanting some nice heavy copper pans that had tin on the inside like you sometimes see in old Auberges in France. They were really expensive even back then and so she never bought them. I guess she could never convince herself or the old man to take that much money out of the household budget for cookware. She was an amazing cook and made fantastic meals with a set of WearEver heavy gauge aluminum pots and pans she got in Montreal when she married my Dad in the 1950s. I still have those pots. While battered and dinged, the pots still work fine.

kirstenmeows

TRIBE Member
$70.00 for a pan you're not convinced you need sounds a bit steep. Mine cost me $12.00 in the Winners clearance section - it was missing it's original box - and I absolutely love it (especially when making scrammies with cheese!). No, it won't last forever, but when it does need to be replaced I'll be quite willing to spend more for a higher end model (but probably not $70.00! :D).

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
$70.00 for a pan you're not convinced you need sounds a bit steep. Mine cost me $12.00 in the Winners clearance section - it was missing it's original box - and I absolutely love it (especially when making scrammies with cheese!). No, it won't last forever, but when it does need to be replaced I'll be quite willing to spend more for a higher end model (but probably not $70.00! :D).
When I bought it, it was the only non-stick option available to me as I had a love-bird. I had it for about a year and gave it to my ex when we split up.

If you're someone who sees the value in a $150+ all-clad or cuisinox stainless pan, then $70 is absolutely well worth the money. Otherwise you're probably right.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
yep!

I bought two when i discovered the location.

If anybody here does catering, or want to buy large amount of supplies for their home kitchen/business - he gives even more deals on large purchase amounts (offered me $800 of product for $500)

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
Did you end up buying a cast iron, D? I am currently searching on the net. I can't wait to cook a steak!
Consider looking for an old used one - Griswold, I think, made millions of the damn things, and they're all still capable of being the best pan you own. AFAIK, Lodge is the only real player still in the cast-iron game, and their pans are made very cheaply. They long ago stopped machining/finishing the inside of the pan as a cost saving measure. If you look at the old Wagner or Griswold pans, their interior surfaces are generally rather smooth. I believe that a great seasoning on a very smooth cast iron surface will yeild a much better non-stick cooking surface than a rough pan with that has been similarly seasoned.

If you go used though, be prepared that you may need to strip and re-season the pan, which is an easy, if time consuming process.

Avoid Tap Phuong for cast iron....