1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Ceramic frying pans vs. nonstick or teflon frying pans

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Apr 15, 2013.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I am a maker of omelettes and eat them often. I have a couple of go-to egg pans that I use for making omelettes and frying eggs. They are teflon coated or have some other high end nonstick coating on them. I remember paying a lot of money for these frying pans and they were the best I could get when I bought them.

Teflon or non-stick pans seem to have become less popular and a bad rep these days, and someone mentioned to me that ceramic coated pans are better.

Are ceramic coated pans better for an omelette or egg pan?

Is the ceramic surface really as non-stick as teflon (T-FAL, Silverstone, etc)

Are teflon-coated frying pans actually bad for you?

How durable are ceramic frying pans? Is the coating going to chip off? Can they be tossed in the dishwasher?

Do any of you have them? I am doing my due diligence before buying one.....

2. Blysspluss

Blysspluss TRIBE Member

Teflon when used at high heat has been proven to be a carcinogen in several studies, so yes, quite bad for you.

If used at medium or lower, it should be fine.

We use stainless steel for high heat items, so I'm not much help otherwise.

3. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I think I may buy one of those ceramic pans to try out. A good commercial grade one.

4. the_fornicator

the_fornicator TRIBE Member

Heat teflon to 446 Fahrenheit and it releases toxic gases.

Heat further to 680 and it releases 6 toxic gases.

Crazy. I did not know that.

Can stove tops even get to 440 Fahrenheit? That's 225 Celcius. 680 is 360 or something like that.

5. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

no comparison. No proper kitchen should still use teflon. Not only is ceramic better for you, but it heats more evenly and last longer.

6. AgentSanchez

AgentSanchez TRIBE Promoter

Ceramic type non-stick pans can be AWESOME..... I had a little one I used for omlettes/eggs - I believe GreenPan was the brand - it cost about $80 at the Healthy Butcher and I've seen them at the Bay as well.

Simply FANTASTIC..... very non-stick, extremely durable compared to anything non-stick with the possible exception of cast iron..... just get one!

7. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

I have a well loved cast iron frying pan that is essentially non stick due to good care and use.

Nothing is better.

8. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Cast iron all the way. If you like making omelettes, why not try a frittata? After frying up your veggies, add the eggs and cheese and then when set, you can put the whole pan in the over to finish.

9. blueshrike

blueshrike TRIBE Member

gold melts at over 1000 deg celcius. I vote you convert some gold rings into a gold plated frying pan. How could eggs stick to gold?

10. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

Another vote for ceramic. I don't know how I managed for so long without one, NOTHING sticks to this sucker. All my utensils are silicone so l'm not worried about wrecking the finish and it washes up super easy with a cloth. If you're unsure, grab one at Winners before you break the bank and go for the pricier model.

11. AgentSanchez

For general use, sure, but the ceramic non-stick pans shit all over them when it comes to cooking eggs, imho...

Also, metal utensils don't hurt the ceramic - at least in my experience.... Neither does the dishwasher.

12. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

cast iron or GTFO.

I've taken mine on 8 day canoe trips (yes, I know it goes against all laws of "pack-light" philosophy, especially with my 1.6kg 2-person tent and 895g -10c 800+ down sleeping bag), but I throw that shit in the fire and have onions & eggs all week long. Oh yeah, and it's also non-stick if you know how to use it right and clean it right.

In the paraphrased words of Isaac Hayes: "if cast iron is wrong... I don't wanna be right!"

baconpanbaconpanbaconpan
    baconpanbaconpanbaconpan
    baconpanbaconpanbaconpan

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  13. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

i don't know about frying pans, but i have ceramic knives and i LOVE them.

though, they are fragile, so have to be careful with them, and can't put them in the dishwasher.

14. catilyst

catilyst TRIBE Member

Another vote for cast iron. Cheapest option, and will last a life time. Actually probaly longer.

15. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

cast iron does leach iron into food, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the individual.

16. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

Another vote for the cast-iron crew. I have never looked back.

I cook eggs literally every day and never have an issue with sticking. Slides out like butter. As long as you take care of it's amazing. Even that is super easy. I have a separate dish washing brush for it and clean it while it is still hot with just running hot water.

17. chooch

chooch TRIBE Member

i'm siding with the cast iron crew too. i love mine.

18. AgentSanchez

Has anyone recommending cast iron ACTUALLY owned both cast iron and ceramic? It doesn't sound like it.... ceramic destroys iron for EGGS, which is what the thread was about....

19. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

And cast iron can weigh a tonne if it's a bigger pan... which is why mine is on the top shelf of the cupboard collecting dust. :p

20. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

I own both. I use ceramic for things like eggs, stir-fry, pasta, vegetables, etc.

I use cast iron mostly for meats (especially if I am doing a pan sear and then finishing in the oven) and anything I want to put a crust on... like leftover mash cooked up on a sunday morning in bacon fat with scallions and garlic. Fucking yum!

21. AgentSanchez

Yeah man - for everything but eggs, cast iron is easily my favorite kind of cookware. I stopped using the shitty communal BBQ once I bought cast iron and my steaks are better than ever!

22. octo

octo TRIBE Member

i've been intrigued by the ceramic stuff but have trouble justifying throwing out perfectly good teflon pans.

23. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

You could start off with a cheaper ceramic pan from Homesense. I got one for $30 and it is pretty decent quality.

The teflon won't kill you, but it may very well contribute to your eventual demise.

24. octo

octo TRIBE Member

my demise is inevitable

25. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

Never tried a ceramic pan, but you can't go wrong with SS clad aluminum. Keep it clean (polish it or cook a bunch of salt in it) and put some fat it in it and you're good to go.

I keep one just for eggs and crepes so its easier to keep clean