• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Central Air Conditioning..

Woody

TRIBE Member
Does anyone know how much it is to purchase and install one of these bad boys?

I've tried looking online, and short of calling a place I was wondering if anyone here had any experience buying one....

thanks in advance,

woody

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Woody

TRIBE Member
it would be in a house, my girlfriend is in the market right now and were curious about prices in case we find one that doesn't have one already installed...

I am assuming that if the house has a forced air system, then it's just a matter of hooking the thing up....

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
if you live in an apartment building with central air as i do, one thing is for certain.

it won't be turned on UNTIL MID JUNE.

it will be shut off AROUND LABOUR DAY.

as you can tell there is the prospect for a full month of heat when the AC isn't available,
because building management companies are scumbuckety money grubbers.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I paid 1600 for my house (installed). It is a mid size, mid efficiency unit by Lennox. I rarely use it but when you need it, you really need it.

swenard

TRIBE Member
Thumpr said:
if you live in an apartment building with central air as i do, one thing is for certain.

as you can tell there is the prospect for a full month of heat when the AC isn't available,

Doesn't each unit have its own air conditioner? I have never lived in an apartment that didn't have its own air conditioner/heat pump combo before!

ALso, I live in a townhouse and I paid $1220 installed for mine. You can get them for under $1000 easy if you wait until it is not busy.

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
swenard said:
Doesn't each unit have its own air conditioner? I have never lived in an apartment that didn't have its own air conditioner/heat pump combo before!

ALso, I live in a townhouse and I paid $1220 installed for mine. You can get them for under $1000 easy if you wait until it is not busy.

yep, it's a combo unit, however the AC pipes are shared and are collectively run off a chiller on the roof. if you flip it to AC it blows tepid air until they let the refrigerant flow.

groovespinna

TRIBE Member
Thumpr said:

so THATS what the problem is.

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
I was going to say, I saw a Lennox stall at the mall in passing. They were offering a unit installed for $1200.

Seems pretty cheap for peace of mind and good night sleep for 4 months of the year.

Though we try hard not to use ours...

SweatyNuts

TRIBE Member
Sinister Shadow said:
I was going to say, I saw a Lennox stall at the mall in passing. They were offering a unit installed for $1200.

Seems pretty cheap for peace of mind and good night sleep for 4 months of the year.

depends on house size. bigger house, more tonnage required.

2 ton unit (small, newer house) installed, prolly 1600.
2.5 is prolly 1800.

i've installed units as big as 5 ton in a residential house before too. those can run as high as 3000+, but there's a lot more involved.

there are lots of factors to take into consideration tho. primarily, the duct work coming off the furnace. you need to cut a coil into the supply duct, so if the duct work is shitty, it can be expensive to re-work it to make it fit. also, there is distance from the condensor (outside unit) to where the furnace is located. the further away, the more money cause you need more refrigeration piping and freeon to get the unit to function properly.

there are jackos out there who are blowing these things out (like 1200 inst.), but good luck finding them again when it stops working mid-july. a lot of fly-by-nighters, so be careful. talk to a neighbour who's satisfied. word of mouth is the best way to find a good HVAC company.

just stay away from Union Energy or the big boys. their prices are 3 times that of a reg HVAC guy.

Last edited:

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
^^
Compltely agree. Our place already had central air. I'd have assumed for a good unit and proper install $2000 would be right. That's why the $1200 suprised me. Then again... this was Dufferin mall.

SweatyNuts

TRIBE Member
also, buy one now. much cheaper before it gets hot, and you won't have to wait weeks for the install.

best bet: find a friend who works for an HVAC company, and get him to toss one in for you after work one night. if it's a simple install, it can be done in about 4 hrs. to make extra cash, a lot of guys seem to do this. even ask the guy who comes to quote. worst they can do is say no.

SweatyNuts

TRIBE Member
Sinister Shadow said:

this price will be for a 1.5 tonne, mid efficiency unit. it will only effectively cool a very small, NEWER house. old homes have less insulation and aren't as tight, so it will take more to get it down to the desired temperature. hell, the direction that your windows face and the material used to build the house will even make a difference.

the only reason i bring this up is b/c i forgot to mention something VERY important earlier. you NEED to have someone who knows what they're doing size out the unit for you. 1200 sounds like a good deal, but if you install this unit into a medium sized house (which the deal-makers will often do, just to get your cash), two things will happen:

1. the house will never get cold. you may pull some of the humidity out of the air, but that's about it. you will be wasting your money.

2. the unit will run all the time (and in vein), trying to reach the temperature you desire. this will end up costing you MORE in the long run, esp. with electricity prices these days.

your best bet is to slightly oversize the unit. it will take less time to cool the house, meaning it will run less, saving you a significant amount of money. further, to improve efficiency, leave the temp somewhat constant. not too cold, not too hot. if you turn off the unit and let the house heat up to an unbearable level, it will take longer for the unit to bring the house back down to temperature.

ideally, you want the unit to run as little as possible. don't be tempted by the deal-makers. if you're not sure, at least see someone like lennox or carrier to get a quote. that way you'll at least have the unit sized properly. i'll try to track down a chart today if i get a chance, but a lot really does depend on the installation itself. this is the main reason why few reputable companies can just say it will be $xxx installed. you CAN'T know until you see the house.

hope that helps.

SweatyNuts

TRIBE Member
ps- the condensing units themselves, wholesale, are about $600-800 for a small one. don't try to buy it on your own tho. you'll have a hard time finding an HVAC dude to install it, let alone repair it for warranty.

and trust me... they do break down.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Go with a Chinese company.
I can refer you to one. They were so good, 3 of the houses on our block used them too.

Still kickin' after, what, 16 years now?

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
SweatyNuts said:
ps- the condensing units themselves, wholesale, are about $600-800 for a small one. don't try to buy it on your own tho. you'll have a hard time finding an HVAC dude to install it, let alone repair it for warranty.

and trust me... they do break down.

and then you get SweatyNuts!

jason klaps

TRIBE Member
ductless

Hey SN,

How much approx. would be a good price for a 12,000 BTU ductless air conditioner with an easy installation. I was leaning towards LG, Fujitsu or Mitsuibishi.... any thoughts?

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
Anyone know where I can purchase a mini-split ac unit/mini ductless that i can install myself? I'd like my windows back!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
it would be in a house, my girlfriend is in the market right now and were curious about prices in case we find one that doesn't have one already installed...

I am assuming that if the house has a forced air system, then it's just a matter of hooking the thing up....

Mine cost about 1600 to install for my semi in Leslieville. I use it maybe 3 days a year.