• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

cd-r's

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
what's everyone buying these days?
i prefer quality over quantity, but i have limits :)

the last batch i bought were prodiscs with the platinum finish.. they were kinda expensive but really good quality.

anyone have any recommendations?? i'm heading over to computer ultra shortly

finary

TRIBE Promoter
i just buy the el-cheapo's. they are just for music and only take 2 minutes to burn so i just keep replacing them every 6 months to a year.

for less than $0.35 a cd, you cant beat it.

how much are the good ones? and do they last THAT much longer?

the problem with the el cheapos as that they scratch easy and sometimes the top of the cd peels off so it becomes see-through.

/f

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by finary

the problem with the el cheapos as that they scratch easy and sometimes the top of the cd peels off so it becomes see-through.

/f

this never happens with the coated ones that i bought.

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by finary
Now that sounds like it is worth the 5 cent savings per disc!

Cheers ... Ian :)

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Anybody familiar with CD-RWs? I am thinking about getting about 5 or 10 and keep recyling them. Since I get tire of CD's after awhile I think this might be a good option for me.

exrboy

TRIBE Promoter
I've never had a problem with my Pine's. I think you get like 50 of em for like $25 or something like that.

finary

TRIBE Promoter
i just never think about it.. ive always bought 100 at a time for like $32 or something

im still amazed at how beaten up they get considering they usually only go from my cdbook to my car cd player

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
I just bought 100 prodiscs with the matte finish for 59 bucks.
meh
i like them.

basic, i go to computer ultra.. they are in markham near my work.. they are a cd-r distributor.. they deal with the better lines of cd's and sell them in pretty big quantities

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mike Richards
Cheap CD's won't last much longer. The government is putting levys on CDrs now. Buy'em now while they're cheap!!!
Change that to "putting ANOTHER levy on CDRs". There already is one.

Cheers ... Ian :)

finary

TRIBE Promoter
ive always purchased mine at ag computers, sherborne and bloor

anyone want to go splits on 100 of those good cd's? :) they're worth a try!

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
Taiyo yuden are zee best quality at a reasonable price.
They're about $30 for 50 unbranded, or if you can find "Made in Japan" Fuji disc...those are TY as well.

If you want cheaper but still good quality, Smartbuy (Prodisc) and RiData (Ritek) are the way to go.

You can get a 30 disc spindle of Smart Buy's at Canada Computer for $11, or a 50 pack for $18.
A 100 disc spindle of RiData is $32.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
http://216.234.51.66/board/showthread.php?threadid=56293&highlight=levy

new costs are as follows (from this government pdf)

audio cassette 40 minutes or longer $0.29
cd-r or cd-rw $0.21
AUDIO cd-r or cd-rw and MiniDisc $0.77

digital audio recorder (mp3 players with embedded memory)
less than 1gb $2
1gb to 10gb memory $15
over 10gb $25

we're safe for at least another year :) no need to panic.

there are so many legit uses for cd-r and cd-rw that the government would have to create a multi-tiered system for taxing them. huge companies that use cd-r for system backups would simply bypass the whole thing by buying direct from taiwan or something.

echootje

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stir-fry
I just bought 100 prodiscs with the matte finish for 59 bucks.
meh
i like them.

basic, i go to computer ultra.. they are in markham near my work.. they are a cd-r distributor.. they deal with the better lines of cd's and sell them in pretty big quantities
Computer Ultra rules, but they're inconvenient (Markham and Eglinton/Yonge)

If I ever find those Ricoh discs I bought a while ago I'll buy them again in the hundreds. I never ever burned a coaster and they came in boxes of ten with the tyvek disc slips on each disc.

Rob - they were cheap too!

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by echootje
Computer Ultra rules, but they're inconvenient (Markham and Eglinton/Yonge)

If I ever find those Ricoh discs I bought a while ago I'll buy them again in the hundreds. I never ever burned a coaster and they came in boxes of ten with the tyvek disc slips on each disc.

Rob - they were cheap too!

i work right around the corner from the markham place, so they are very convenient for me :)
and they moved out of the yonge/eglinton office..

they still have those ricoh disks.. in fact, i could grab some for yah sometime since i work so close.

~NoCo~

TRIBE Member
we already have the levy on cdr's in calgary...
i wasn't aware of it when i bought a pack of 25 for $15 and then at the checkout it was i think $37 with the levy...
such a huge rip-off, expecially for me because i am not burning music that i downloaded but instead making mixed c.d.'s of songs that i already have...
so i am paying for "stealing" music even though i'm not doing it..

S.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~NoCo~
we already have the levy on cdr's in calgary...
i wasn't aware of it when i bought a pack of 25 for $15 and then at the checkout it was i think $37 with the levy...
such a huge rip-off, expecially for me because i am not burning music that i downloaded but instead making mixed c.d.'s of songs that i already have...
so i am paying for "stealing" music even though i'm not doing it..

S.
it doesn't make a difference where you are in canada, the levy is the same. did you buy them from london drugs? they are one of the few companies that advertise the price of the cd-r WITHOUT the levy and add it at the till. they actually have a handout that explains the reason they do it is to raise awareness of the levy because they (and most big retailers) are against it.

their price for the namebrand stuff is about the same as other retailers, even after adding the levy. for the cheap, generic stuff (which is usually the same or better quality) you have to go to smaller shops with different distrobution channels.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I used to get Mitsui's because of Tribe recommendations but since then, I've gone a little cheaper. At $1.30 a disc, it's quite the wallet drainer.

I just bought a pack of 50 Mitsumi's for $23.
There is a really good store on College, I think it's the second computer store from Spadina on the south side. They have that roving cam in the window.

And their prices can't be beat but they always sell out of the good stuff.

Had no problems so far.
I would avoid the Indian stores down on Yonge. I'm thinking there are fakes out there that will give you coaster after coaster. I bought Maxells once and they fucking suck. They deteriate quite a bit.