• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Cd rot

taki

TRIBE Member
Is there any way of preventing this from happening? A guy at work told me that if you apply clear nail polish around the edges it will stop it from happening but then again he smokes weed everyday of his life. Any ideas?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

octo

TRIBE Member
the problem is cause by oxidation of the layer on which the data is stored.
a scratch on the label side of the CD can be more damaging than one on the clear plastic side. even writing on the label can compromise the CD.

there are some CDRs that have a longer lasting storage layer. but if you treat your CDs with care and keep them out of sunlight you should be ok.
for archiving purposes you can store the CDs in a cool, dark, dry place.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

coleridge

TRIBE Member
octo said:
there are some CDRs that have a longer lasting storage layer. but if you treat your CDs with care and keep them out of sunlight you should be ok.
for archiving purposes you can store the CDs in a cool, dark, dry place.
The first CDRs I burnt back in 98 no longer work at all. They were stored in complete dark, cool and dry. They were Sony.

I don't think CDRs are a viable long term storage option.

choko

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
The first CDRs I burnt back in 98 no longer work at all. They were stored in complete dark, cool and dry. They were Sony.
i have a similar experience with CDRs.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:

I don't think CDRs are a viable long term storage option.

But what is long-term storage? Is there anything that is?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alma

TRIBE Member
taki said:
he smokes weed everyday of his life.

terrawrist III said:
that would make him the undisputed king of all things makeshift...listen to him, he's a wise man
taki, your workmate reminds me of the McGyver smoker from Half Baked:

Thurgood Jenkins
The McGyver smoker is a very handy guy to have around, especially when it comes to reefer.

McGyver Friend
Hey, man, we're out of papers.

McGyver Smoker
All right. Then get me a toilet paper roll, a corkscrew and some tin foil.

McGyver Friend
We don't have a corkscrew.

McGyver Smoker
All right. Then get me an avocado, an ice pick and my snorkel. [Friend looks at him funny] Trust me, bro. I've made bongs with less. Hurry up!​