1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

CD Duplicators

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by DeepSix, Aug 27, 2003.

1. DeepSix

DeepSix TRIBE Promoter

I'm looking at getting a mass CD duplicator...I figure a) it's a business expense b) if it saves me time infront of the computer, or if I can do it away from computer, it's worth it's weight in gold.

Problem is, I know next to nothing about them...

A quick search revealed this:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Category/category_slc.asp?CatId=92

Is there any other type of thing I should be looking for? Any one out there (Astroboy mebbe?) experienced with such gear?

2. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

I helped Robb with the ordering of the equipment so if you have any specific questions let me know.

The main questions though are:

- How much are you willing to spend?
    - Do you require just a single duplicator, or multiple duplicator?
    - Do you want an automated loader?
    - Do you want a printer?

Prices range from like $500 - $50,000, so I can't direct you to a specific model unless you give me a bit of feedback first.

Check out http://www.ameri-media.com for a wide selection of both start and high-end systems.

Cheers ... Ian :)

3. DeepSix

DeepSix TRIBE Promoter

4. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

I haven't read any reviews of that model, but Primera do make good printers. The only drawback to that unit is that it is not upgradeable, which may or may not be an issue for you. It is a pretty good price though.

5. DeepSix

DeepSix TRIBE Promoter

As they say, time is money...so I'm looking for something that saves me time.

If I can work on my REAL job and write reports WHILE a robotized printer thing is duping my CDs for my OTHER job...the unit would pay itself off in a short amount of time...more and more of the promo material labels send the record pool are on CD-R due to size and cheapness...

What would be some of the upgrade features I may want to look for?

As you can tell, I am clueless when it comes to this, so thanks for your input.

6. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

If the printer unit is modular, then you can upgrade the printer to a higher res one. But that is not likely necessary, as the one you listed is 2,400 dpi x 1,200 dpi.

I am not sure if that unit allows you to change the drives at all, so that maybe you can use the Sony drive to burn all the types of DVD media (-R/-RW/+R/+RW).

A lot of the automated duplicaters come with one drive, but with the upgradeable ones, you can add up to 4 or 8 so they can burn that many all at once.

7. DeepSix

DeepSix TRIBE Promoter

Wow...will wonders never cease.

That's some pretty hardcore stuff - 4 to 8 automated burners *PLUS* printing?

wow.

I'm pretty much only going to be doing audio CDs unless for some reason people really really want to see the movie of my child's birth or something...

lol