• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

CBC Diet Confidential

angelsole

TRIBE Member
Anyone interested in the diet industry and the main people behind so many of our diet sources should check it out!! it is very cool
it is very interesting.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Did I miss this?

If I did, I hope they repeat it, as it did look interesting...
It appeared to be a great looking documentary/investigation.

angelsole

TRIBE Member
MissBlu said:
Did I miss this?

If I did, I hope they repeat it, as it did look interesting...
It appeared to be a great looking documentary/investigation.
it was on last night actually. i am sure if you go on the cbc website they will have info on when it will be shown again. i love watching this kind of thing. it's kind of insane how many diets there are and why people are so obsessed with weight.
interesting fact; the first woman to ever win the miss america pagent was 5'7 and 140 pounds. if you compared her to today's contestants she would be considered big boned!

Kiera

TRIBE Member
The website says its "repeating Sunday June 18, 2006 at 10pm ET/PT on CBC Newsworld" Im definetly going to check this out.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
angelsole said:
it was on last night actually. i am sure if you go on the cbc website they will have info on when it will be shown again. i love watching this kind of thing. it's kind of insane how many diets there are and why people are so obsessed with weight.
interesting fact; the first woman to ever win the miss america pagent was 5'7 and 140 pounds. if you compared her to today's contestants she would be considered big boned!

yeah it was a good documentary,

i think those stats comparing forme pagent winners is bullshit considering back then the average basket ball player was much shorter too, as were most athletes.

the population was on average more skinny than today's average person in north america. i just read something about the biggest issue the US military had during WW2 was that draftee's were too skinny and had to put on some pounds, now a days its the opposite, theyve actually had to raise the wieght maximum to allow chubbier soldiers in because the numbers are dwindling. but its a big shift.

people slag the atkins diet as another fad or say things like "you just have to eat a balanced diet" , but a balanaced diet is up for debate, different cultures and countries have varying ideas of whats balanced. and for what its worth, people may find atkins too extreme, but even the major nutrional guidelines in the US and Canada have reduced the amount of carbs recomended, especially sugar (which was more of an evil to dr. atkins than fat since the 60's and 70's when everyone else was carb loading and avoiding fat, but still getting bigger).

i foudn the documentary to have some valid points but also unfair as there are always shills who may take a perfectly valid concept and contort it for profit, it shouldnt make the science or ideas behind the oroginal theory bunk.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Yeah... it was interesting. It was a comparison of most popular diets, how they work (or not work). I didn't even know about the "Coconut Diet", I laughted at that one...

It's true that there aren't many overweight people in Europe, but I have never felt such pressure of "being thin" back home like I feel it here. I think it's more the behaviour and ways of thinking that people need to concentrate upon, not so much counting all these calories.

I am sure this thread will have many valuable point of views, I am excited to read them.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
judge wopner said:
people slag the atkins diet as another fad or say things like "you just have to eat a balanced diet" , but a balanaced diet is up for debate, different cultures and countries have varying ideas of whats balanced.
Since when has a balanced diet been up for debate?

You can ask any doctor how to lose weight, and the first thing they'll tell you is to get exercise and eat a balanced diet. What is considered "balanced" has been about the same for the past 20 years with only a few minor changes, and is still considered a generally healthy way to eat.

What exactly about the "balanced diet" idea is so controversial?

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
KillaLadY said:
Yeah... it was interesting. It was a comparison of most popular diets, how they work (or not work). I didn't even know about the "Coconut Diet", I laughted at that one...

It's true that there aren't many overweight people in Europe, but I have never felt such pressure of "being thin" back home like I feel it here. I think it's more the behaviour and ways of thinking that people need to concentrate upon, not so much counting all these calories.

I am sure this thread will have many valuable point of views, I am excited to read them.
my beef is with so called "nutritionists" who dont really know that much behind what they are recommending beyond repeating the same old mantras

there is so litle conclusive study showing what the truly "best" diet is considering in some cultures they shun meat, or dairy, other pork and cultures like the french that eat stuff typically seen as fattening are fat and dont suffer from the many ailments we assume they would.

yet you hear the same old thing about "eating sensibly" or "balanced", everyone is different, mabey there is no magic key that fits each person.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
calories in > calories used = gain weight

calories in < calories used = weight loss

no mystery... cut poriton sizes and eat less

I feel the pressure is not to be a certain weight or size, but to be that size and be all hard and buff.. I'm thinish, but I have hips and a stomach and thighs.. I feel like I'm supposed to go the gym and constantly fight against what nature gave me as a women in order to be considered hot and sexy as ther media makes us beilieve.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
You can ask any doctor how to lose weight, and the first thing they'll tell you is to get exercise and eat a balanced diet. What is considered "balanced" has been about the same for the past 20 years with only a few minor changes, and is still considered a generally healthy way to eat.
Hits the nail on the head here...
We all know whats healthy, and whats not...

The only way to be healthy is to make lifestyle changes, forever... You have to eat healthy and move (exercise). Every type of Doctor will tell you that...

A "diet" will not work unless you are on it forever.

SlipperyPete

TRIBE Member
I thought it was interesting in terms of how selling this is exactly the same as selling anything: come up with something that sounds 'new' and 'exotic', attach a recognizable or trust-worthy name/face to the product, and then get your media conglomerate to market the fuck out of it via 30 magazines, 30 talk shows, 30 newspapers and 30 celebs.
SALES!

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
judge wopner said:
there is so litle conclusive study showing what the truly "best" diet is considering in some cultures they shun meat, or dairy, other pork and cultures like the french that eat stuff typically seen as fattening are fat and dont suffer from the many ailments we assume they would.
This is an interesting point. I know that the Mediteranean diet in particular is highly regarded because of all the vegetables and olive oil. The typical Asian diet is also high in veggies and fish, and there's enough evidence to show that this has quite the impact on health and longevity.

I guess when I think of "balanced diet", I think of x servings of fruits & veggies, x servings of carbs and x servings of meat and other proteins - while not necessarily taking into account exactly where they come from. I still think this works as a general guide, but if all your portions are coming from microwave meals and processed "fruit" crap, then you're still not doing your body too many favours.

Last edited:

lucky1

TRIBE Member
First they had to sell the guy as a proffessional.. ie lab coat, guest appearances on talk shows, the news, the paper, they send promo diet books to celebs, name the diet after a glamourous place.. it was interesting I never looked at how the diets become popular.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
This is an interesting point. I know that the Mediteranean diet in particular is highly regarded because of all the vegetables and olive oil. The typical Asian diet is also high in veggies and fish, and there's enough evidence to show that this has quite the impact on health and longevity.

I guess when I think of "balanced diet", I think of x servings of fruits & veggies, x servings of carbs and x servings of meat and other proteins - while not necessarily taking into account exactly where they come from. I still think this works as a general guide, but if all your portions are coming from microwave meals and processed "fruit" crap, then you're still not doing your body too many favours.
this is too part of the fallacy.

the mediterainian diet is a misnomer.

italy and greece are great examples of the diet. the southern coastal regions of italy eat a typical mediterainian diet, lots of pasta, olive oil based tomato sauces, sea food and fruits. but southern italians are generally chubbier and have higher rates of heart disease than their northern counterparts who are more typically euro-style skinny and eat a northern diet that is much more meat/pork heavy.

check out eastern europeans diets cross referenced against their average weight. this stuff does not correlate.

consider mexican food, very high in carbs and mexicans are supposedly the fattest of all ethnic american groups (italians and philipinos are second i think!!)

i still always found it retarted when we are yonge we are pressured to finish all the food on our plate, even if we werent hungary, and how they would give us props for eating so much, then as you get older its the opposite.

why force kids to eat more than they want, not as if tey will starve to death, and it only seems to build a neurotic line of thinking towards eating.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

littlejon

TRIBE Member
like everyone says, common sense is key.
a lowered caloric intake + raised physical output = weight maintenance

i use the 'plate' method, 'cause it is so easy:
make sure your plate has 25% protien, 25% starch, 50% vegtables or fruit

it does take some re-thinking for portion size, especially for carb-whores like myself or lovers of the carnage.
and you can get into trouble with sauces if not careful, 'cause they are so yummy.
but a quick, simple and visual method that works for most meals.

and if you are a total fuck up you can get one of those divided plates.
baconpan

deevah

TRIBE Member
judge wopner said:
why force kids to eat more than they want, not as if tey will starve to death, and it only seems to build a neurotic line of thinking towards eating.
b/c not every parent has enough discipline to make sure that their kids are not filling up on junk food

very few children will pick salad over doritos (400 cal & 20 g of fat for a 65g bag btw)

sure kids will eat when they're hungry, they just may not be eating healthy choices

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
deevah said:
b/c not every parent has enough discipline to make sure that their kids are not filling up on junk food

very few children will pick salad over doritos (400 cal & 20 g of fat for a 65g bag btw)

sure kids will eat when they're hungry, they just may not be eating healthy choices
true,

i just always felt like most kids when i was yong and still now are pressued into "finishing whats on their plate". kids could be full but they are pressured to eating more, even too much good food is no good.

to this day if im not tht hungary ill still stuff myself if im at my parents because they will get on my ass about why my mom's cooking must be no good if i dont eat until im in pain!!

its retarted. kdis dont want to eat veggies or health food, send them to bed w/ no food and fuck em!! they wont starve to death.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
judge wopner said:
check out eastern europeans diets cross referenced against their average weight. this stuff does not correlate.
I definitely eat double when I go home and I definitely do NOT eat the healthiest things (cabbage rolls, tons of smoked meat, all kinds of breads, etc etc) BUT it's never in LARGE quantities. I probably eat 8-9 times a day, and they are probably all snacking (with the main meal being around 4ish).

Also, the biggest difference that exists is that people are always on the go - always walk, swim, summer time is filled with mountain hicking, biking, etc always engage in outdoor activities. They walk to work (actually walking is probably their most common form of exercise) - they walk everywhere.

Oh, and they drink so much wine, it's sickening.