• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Cat question

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
What do you feed your cat? wet? dry? brand?
my cat throws up after he eats dry food but wet food is super high maintenance for me... any ideas?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
If you think it's the dryness of the food that makes your cat throw up, you could always try dissolving the dry food in a bit of warm water. I used to do that with dog food when my dog was a puppy.

How many different brands of dry food did you try? Perhaps it's got something to do with the brand (i.e. the food is too fatty or something like that).

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by junglegirl
my cat throws up after he eats dry food but wet food is super high maintenance for me... any ideas?

Are you feeding him a weight loss formula?

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
I was feeding him science diet and then switched to Iams - I think he just eats it to fast and doesnt chew so he pukes - when I feed him wet food he pukes too - The vet thinks he just eats too fast

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mingster

TRIBE Member
hmmmm maybe the vet never really said anything - he said he just eats too fast - my poor cat :(

maybe you should try feeding it only a little at a time. just to show it how to eat slowly. like a couple of pellets at a time or something? there's probably some info on the web about this exact problem and how to deal with it.

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Maybe your cat has an intolerance to cat food? I know it sounds silly, but when my dog was alive, we'd have to make her food from scratch, according to a recipe we got from the vet, because dog food made her all kinds of sick.

I'm not overly familiar with the different types of cat food (I usually buy my cat a bag of Cat Chow and call it a day), but there's probably easy-to-digest options you can get at the vet's (though it'll probably cost $$$... which is why we wound up making food for my dog).

JESuX

TRIBE Member
I was feeding him science diet and then switched to Iams - I think he just eats it to fast and doesnt chew so he pukes - when I feed him wet food he pukes too - The vet thinks he just eats too fast

It *is* a good idea to put some warm water in his food then. Cat's food expands in their tummies when they eat it, especially the weight loss formula stuff.

You could also try giving him smaller amounts, and maybe trying to help pace him through it.

My old siamese cats would *always* throw up on science diet.

We feed our cats Iams now, no problems with that. But they're also total pigs and devour their food too fast!

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster
maybe you should try feeding it only a little at a time. just to show it how to eat slowly. like a couple of pellets at a time or something? there's probably some info on the web about this exact problem and how to deal with it.

yeah, my neighbours hand-feed their cat, who is trying to lose weight.

kudos to you if you have that kind of commitment though, i remember my eyes bugging out of my head when they told me they did that. that sounds like a whole lotta tedium, in my opinion!

Lainey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster

Or conversly, try and make sure your cat's bowl is always full, if he hasn't had food in a while and then you feed him he may eat too much in a panic and then yak on the carpet. Speaking from experience with my cat.

My cat was on wet food at first but I switched her to dry because it's healthier and less maintenance.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Cats have very sensitive stomachs, but they can be trained.

Feed the cat wet food with one piece of dry food in it for a few days, and slowly, over the course of a few weeks, gradually add a bit mroe each meal as you make the transition.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I should mention that even a change in brands can lead to an upset kitties stomach.

I use Nutro brand for adult cats. My cat loves it!

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by finary
im about to switch from nutro kitten to adult in a month or two.

Go slowly!

I did what I thought was a slow enough transition, but she still ended up getting sick. It took a few weeks on my second yet succesful try.

Agreed with team nutro - it seems to be what most vets recommend outside of the brand they get paid to market.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member

3 of my cats eat Royal Canin.(dry food)

My one cat eats Science diet. (canned) I found he would eat WAY too fast when I did not feed him as often. Junglegirl how often do you feed your kitty? Cause it sounds like he is eating so fast cause he very hungry. Try feeding the kitty a little more often and then he won't eat so fast and puke. :)

Maxine

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
hmmmm maybe the vet never really said anything - he said he just eats too fast - my poor cat :(

that's probably it.

eats too fast or too much. my roommate's fat ass cat does that all the time.

try spreading out the amounts that you feed her in a day. i.e. if you normally feed her, say, 1 cup of cat food twice a day. Try feeding her 1/2 cups 4 times a day.

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by R4V4G3D_SKU11S
I should mention that even a change in brands can lead to an upset kitties stomach.

This should be repeated. If you switch you should always add a little of the new formula with the old, a bit at a time

I feed kitteny Wellness wet food.

It's human grade food, but for zee keetteess.

I should add that I mix a dash of metamucil in it with a 1/4 tablespoon of "missing link" and sometimes some cheese stuff from the specialty store that keeps her bad kitty breath down to a minimum.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member

My dad's cat is the same way.
Wet food isn't that bad. You only need to feed a cat 1/2 can per day.
But... they sometimes puke the wet stuff too.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
My vet told me that there is very little nutrition in wet food. All the good stuff is in the dry food. She said wet food should just be a treat. The pet food stores have all told me the same. I do feed one of my 4 kitties wet food, only because he would starve to death before he would touch dry food.