• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Cat Help - Sick kitty :(

JESuX

TRIBE Member
I've been woken up all night by my cat, who seems to "puke" every 30 minutes or so. By "puke" I mean either dry-heave (nothing comes up) or if anything does come up, it's just spit.

Has anyone had this happen to their pet before???

I've checked the entire apartment, it doesn't look as if he's munched on anything, the plants are all intact, and there's nothing around here for him to swallow - BUT - when I rub on his throat he looks like he wants to gag.

He's eating and drinking as well, and generally seems fine save for the dry-heaving every so often.

Any suggestions on what to do? It's 7:19 in the morning, so the vet's not an option right this minute - but I'll definitely be taking him this afternoon if he hasn't improved.

arrrrrrrrrgh, cats. :(:mad::(

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Big Harv

TRIBE Member
JESuX said:
I've been woken up all night by my cat, who seems to "puke" every 30 minutes or so. By "puke" I mean either dry-heave (nothing comes up) or if anything does come up, it's just spit.

I've checked the entire apartment, it doesn't look as if he's munched on anything, the plants are all intact, and there's nothing around here for him to swallow - BUT - when I rub on his throat he looks like he wants to gag.

He's eating and drinking as well, and generally seems fine save for the dry-heaving every so often.

Any suggestions on what to do? It's 7:19 in the morning, so the vet's not an option right this minute - but I'll definitely be taking him this afternoon if he hasn't improved.

arrrrrrrrrgh, cats. :(:mad::(

sit still until the vet opens, at least that's what these two vets say

Cat Dry Heaving
5) Question: My 14-yr male Burmese has a constant problem of "retching". Hunches down and has
symptoms of dry heaving. Periodically, he will throw up but nothing comes out. I have tried Nutri-cal, Petromalt and Laxatone. Also, have checked for worms but is negative. Other than this, he is very healthy. He does this at least 3 times a day. Thank you. MC., Oshkosh, WI.

ANSWER: Your cat definitely needs to see your veterinarian. Vomiting or "retching" is not normal and can signify many things such as chronic hairball problems, obstruction of the digestive tract (partial or full), parasites such as heartworms, roundworms, giardia, viral or bacterial infections of the trachea, throat or lungs, thyroid disease, and even cancer. Your vet will want to take xrays of the throat and chest (possibly the abdomen) and will run some blood work to check for other diseases such as heartworm infection and feline hyperthyroidism. Good luck and don't delay! Get your cat in today!

Nonproductive retching/vomiting

Q: My 11 yo female (overweight) cat has been dry heaving for the last two weeks. Assuming she was shedding more hair than normal (for the summer), I bought Petromalt and have been giving that to her daily. Additionally, I have been combing her regularly. She continues to dry heave but has not thrown up any hairballs yet. All other characteristics seem to be fine and she acts normal in every other way. Can this problem be caused by a new shag rug that she lays on frequently or chewing on leaves from an indoor palm tree?

A: Mauiwon- I think it would be best to have your cat examined by your vet if the signs of nonproductive retching/vomiting persist. It is very easy to confuse coughing and retching in cats and this can be a sign of respiratory or cardiac disease (vomiting is a commonly mentioned sign in the history of cats with heartworm disease, for example). Please have your cat examined by your vet if you have not done so already and the signs continue.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
JESuX said:

yes but it was my dog.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
veterinary emergency clinic Emergency pet-care 24 hrs daily.

920 Yonge, 416-920-2002;

280 Sheppard E, 416-226-3663.

or see if you can get in with any vet, it will be cheaper than the emergency. your vet will probably have an emergency contact number on their answering machine.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

afterglow

TRIBE Member
I agree.

Vet ASAP.

There could be a number of problems going on and it doesn't sound like it could wait much longer.

123fakest

TRIBE Member
This happened to my Cat. Exact same thing. We took him too the Vet and they ran every test. Eventually they put him on antibiotics and after a day or two he was fine.

My suggestion is start with the pills 'cause they're cheap. Not that I'm a cheap bastard (we'll ok I am) but I think Vets purposely take the long way (i.e. expensive) to determine what’s wrong.

And it's not an emergency. The only concern is if she's not drinking water she may be a bit dehydrated. Also the constant coughing is a bit stressful. no worries.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
update:

he seems to be totally fine now... but i'm on constant watch to see how he's doing.

when he was puking/coughing, it was just saliva that was coming up, about 20% of the time, and the remaining 80% it was nothing... he'd lick his lips or swallow. still, it was distressing for me to watch.

he was still eating and drinking the whole time, and there was no blood in his vomit. his behaviour and demeanour was otherwise completely normal.

later that night, rob noticed that he puked up a little piece of ribbon, so we think that might have been what did it. the next day his coughing was basically down to nothing, and no spit was coming up. he was fine all last night and today, and he's eating like a fat little piggie.

still, i'm keeping an eye on him, as i'm worried that if there was a little bit of ribbon, there may have been more that he's digested or something. (whee! scooping through poo!)

anyway, thanks for the advice/help guys. general searches on google turned up zilch, and i really can't afford to take him to the vet, who in my experience, operates on a "run every test, regardless of cost first - ask questions later" philosophy. with no credit card, and on the 2nd of the month, there was no way i could swing a giant vet bill like that.

val - if you're reading this - what were you mentioning about kitty aids in the NC thread??

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
JESuX said:
update:

he seems to be totally fine now... but i'm on constant watch to see how he's doing.

when he was puking/coughing, it was just saliva that was coming up, about 20% of the time, and the remaining 80% it was nothing... he'd lick his lips or swallow. still, it was distressing for me to watch.

he was still eating and drinking the whole time, and there was no blood in his vomit. his behaviour and demeanour was otherwise completely normal.

later that night, rob noticed that he puked up a little piece of ribbon, so we think that might have been what did it. the next day his coughing was basically down to nothing, and no spit was coming up. he was fine all last night and today, and he's eating like a fat little piggie.

still, i'm keeping an eye on him, as i'm worried that if there was a little bit of ribbon, there may have been more that he's digested or something. (whee! scooping through poo!)

anyway, thanks for the advice/help guys. general searches on google turned up zilch, and i really can't afford to take him to the vet, who in my experience, operates on a "run every test, regardless of cost first - ask questions later" philosophy. with no credit card, and on the 2nd of the month, there was no way i could swing a giant vet bill like that.

val - if you're reading this - what were you mentioning about kitty aids in the NC thread??

isn't there some kind of pet insurance you can get?

my parents had something like that.. pay a monthly premium and the insurance takes care of a big chunk of the vet bills

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Jess, take the kitty to the vet. It's the best way to be sure, which you want to be. Also, it'll put your mind at rest.

mcbee

TRIBE Member
JESuX said:

both our cats have 'kitty aids'.....its what we have affectionately nicknamed their disease, Feline Leukemia Virus (FLV). Get your cats vaccinated against this. Essentially, FLV weakens their immune system immensely and puts them at risk for many diseases. Any time they get sick they are at risk for developing something more serious because they can't fight it off. It is also contagious amongst kitties so if your cat has come from an unknown background (we adopted both of ours from rescue programs, so its highly likely they caught it on the street or in the foster home) testing for FLV prior to the vaccination is recommended. Finally, kittens sometimes test positive for the disease and then grow out of it, so a second test when they are full grown is recommended. Both of ours failed both tests, so FLV it is!!

case in point, last week our cat Andy was totally lethargic, not eating/drinking and walking funny. we took her to the emergency 24 hour hospital and admitted her. She had a urinary tract infection but because of her FLV she was barely able to fight it off:(:( last monday night when we left her in the ICU we thought she going to die (and I think the vets thought the same thing).....but she got through it and now she is fine! (My credit card is not fine due to the massive vet bill:()

anyhoo, my point is this:

1)get the FLV vaccination

2) the 24hr animal hosipital on Sheppard was amazing to Andy.

:)sarah

Last edited:

Skipper

TRIBE Member
JESuX said:
still, it was distressing for me to watch.

No kidding...and for some reason, the sound of the cat barfing in the middle of the night makes me shoot straight out of bed to go run and see if she's ok (or if she's throwing up on anything valuable)

123fakest

TRIBE Member
ev said:
isn't there some kind of pet insurance you can get?

my parents had something like that.. pay a monthly premium and the insurance takes care of a big chunk of the vet bills

We looked into that. Our little episode basically cost us about a grand when it was all said and done and they ran every test they could think of. Turns out the insurance over the last 2 years would have been about the same price in the long run, plus we'd have to have all the proper vaccinations and check ups (+$$$). Unless your pet has a condition that requires meds, I don't think it's worth it.
Glad to hear the cats better. I hate cleaning up cat puke.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
123fakest said:
We looked into that. Our little episode basically cost us about a grand when it was all said and done and they ran every test they could think of. Turns out the insurance over the last 2 years would have been about the same price in the long run, plus we'd have to have all the proper vaccinations and check ups (+$$$). Unless your pet has a condition that requires meds, I don't think it's worth it.
Glad to hear the cats better. I hate cleaning up cat puke.

Don't mean to be rude, but $1000 is a lot of money on a cat.