• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Casuistry: The Art of Killing a Cat

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
i don't know if there is another thread regarding this topic, and i apologize if this is a duplicate.

Jesse Power, ex-vegetarian, was an art student when he conceived a new project. In May 2001, he enlisted two friends, Anthony Wennekers and Matthew Kaczorowski, to help him kill a cat. They claim the intention was to make a video that protested the unthinking consumption of factory-slaughtered animals by killing, cooking and eating a cherished domestic pet - a feline posthumously named Kensington by animal-rights activists. This claim is rediculous however, as the killers not only tortured the cat by, among other things, skinning it alive, but have also never shown remorse for their crime. In any event, alerted by an outraged roommate, the police found the skinned and decapitated cat in the beer fridge. Kaczorowski fled and was apprehended in Vancouver two years later. All three eventually pleaded guilty to animal cruelty and mischief charges.

Casuistry: The Art of Killing a Cat is to be screened at this years Toronto Film Festival, and merely serves as an opportunity for Power and his friends to defend their horrendous actions. According to the review in the Toronto Sun, the film features many apologists for the cat torturers.

the following are the screening times for the film:

Tuesday, September 14 06:00 PM CUMBERLAND 3
Friday, September 17 03:15 PM CUMBERLAND 3

show up; cause trouble.

well, on a brighter note, this unfortunate chain of events has prompted the nanodroid and myself to start a new art project of our own.
the following people will be kidnapped and forced to star in our film, entitled "Casuistry: The Art of Killing Six Humans":

Jesse Power
Anthony Wennekers
Matthew Kaczorowski
Zev Asher
Linda Feesey
Noah Cowan

if all goes according to plan, we too will serve 4 months pre-trial, then an additional 2 months to be served on weekends.

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by docta seuss
Casuistry: The Art of Killing a Cat is to be screened at this years Toronto Film Festival, and merely serves as an opportunity for Power and his friends to defend their horrendous actions. According to the review in the Toronto Sun, the film features many apologists for the cat torturers.

the following are the screening times for the film:

Tuesday, September 14 06:00 PM CUMBERLAND 3
Friday, September 17 03:15 PM CUMBERLAND 3

WHAT!

who's the person responsible for letting this happen? that's fucked!

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
You're basing your reaction to this movie on a review by the Toronto Sun? Have you done any research yourself as to what the filmakers are trying to say with their documentary? Are you aware that they don't use parts of the video that show the torture of the cat?

It's called free speech. You don't like the movie, don't go see it.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
you fucking idiot. these people broke the law and now stand to profit by it. it's not about free speech. they can speak all they want. what you can't do is torture animals, then stand to profit from it.

i made one comment regarding a quote from a review in the toronto sun, which is the only paper to review the film, and suddenly my point is discounted.

you're a fucking idiot.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
yes, i am aware that they don't use parts of the video that show the torture of the cat, as that was also in the sun review, cunt.

words cannot express how disgusted i am by people like you.

think you're all cool and calculating defending free speech like it's black and white. you're very special.

moron.

Last edited:

Nanodroid

TRIBE Member
They're using the mutilation of a cat to generate revenue.

Just because they're not showing a bloody cat on film doesn't mean they didn't kill the cat to make the film.

Free speech is great, but milking an obviously protester-volatile media circus for shock and political thumb-twiddling is morally inept.

Is that subjective? Fucking hell it is. It's goddamned rock-throwing subjective if you ask me.

Sure I like cats, but it's not about showing the thing being ripped apart or whatever-the-fuck they did to it. It's about using a cat being ripped apart to sell tickets to a film.

Lazy art students. Just because you have remorse doesn't mean you deserve my money.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
it doesn't matter what the film is trying to say. everybody knows the meaning of the word casuistry. the point is, the film serves as an opportunity for Power and his friends to defend their actions. oh, and by the way, the film's producer, Linda Feesey, just so happens to be an associate of the cat torturers'.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
...and one other thing. i am fully aware of the shodiness of the sun's reporting, and their extreme bias, but when it comes to film reviews, what's the difference. they were the first to review it, so i used their article.

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
yes, i am aware that they don't use parts of the video that show the torture of the cat, as that was also in the sun review, cunt.

words cannot express how disgusted i am by people like you.

think you're all cool and calculating defending free speech like it's black and white. you're very special.

moron.
Can you communicate without name-calling? I understand it's an emotional reaction but you don't need to lose your sense of reason.

Sounds like you're the one who thinks free speech is black and white..."I don't like it, therefore no one else should see it."

I can't believe the animal activists of T.O. freaking out about something they haven't even seen yet...it's like religious zealots in the U.S.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
i apologize for losing my head, but why can't people see what i'm saying. the are generating REVENUE with this film. people can watch all they want, but this is generating REVENUE. they are PROFITING from this film. understand?

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rejenerate

I can't believe the animal activists of T.O. freaking out about something they haven't even seen yet...it's like religious zealots in the U.S.
i think that's a terrible opinion to have. read my above post.

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Do you know for a fact that the perpetrators are making any money off of this?

Do you really think this film will have much life after the film fest? It's a Toronto-based incident, and the only one who get money and fame out of documentaries is Michael Moore.

I think it's a chance for a mature debate and I'm looking forward to it. Seeing it will not make me think cat killers are "cool"...I already think those guys are losers and what they did is horrific. The film festival audience is a discriminating one...it's not like it will be a bunch of impressionable teenagers.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
you want an unbiased view of the film? here you go:

Incorporating interviews with the cat killers, as well as journalists, artists, animal activists and concerned citizens, Casuistry also contains disturbing imagery - though, mercifully, not the notorious cat video. Filmmaker Zev Asher eschews rote advocacy; rather, his documentary lurks curiously in murky terrain, playing like the punk B-side of an Errol Morris film. He places us in a unique space, one which vacillates between serious reflection, horror, transgression, banality, righteousness, humour and - mostly - paradox. This may be one of the most political films in this year's Festival.

- Sean Farnel

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
i think that's a terrible opinion to have. read my above post.
And? It's still my opinion...trying to ban something sight unseen just makes the ones protesting look foolish and ignorant. If they had actually seen it and then decided a course of action, I'd feel differently.

Co-Director's Statement
The Festival has received a number of concerned emails and phone calls, following recent media stories, regarding the documentary CASUISTRY: THE ART OF KILLING A CAT. The Festival Co-Director’s response appears below.

The Toronto International Film Festival Group emphatically condemns the abuse and torture of animals. The documentary CASUISTRY: THE ART OF KILLING A CAT has as its subject matter a sad and regrettable real-life incident that shocked and provoked strong feelings among many people.

The documentary neither glorifies nor condones the torture of animals. It does NOT show any of the actual, graphic video footage from this criminal event. It does include interviews with those who were outraged by this event including the detective who handled the case as well as committed animal-rights activists. People who have viewed the film – and that includes several Toronto journalists and our curators - indicate that it certainly does not allow room to sympathize with the actions of the convicted criminals portrayed in the documentary and shows them to be morally bankrupt.

The rights of Toronto audiences to engage in meaningful discussion about the issues of the day are inviolable. Film festivals exist, in part, to generate intelligent, reasoned discussion, not to stifle it. The Festival programming decision to show this documentary remains unchanged.

Noah Cowan
Co-Director
Toronto International Film Festival

Last edited:

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Nanodroid
They're using the mutilation of a cat to generate revenue.

Just because they're not showing a bloody cat on film doesn't mean they didn't kill the cat to make the film.

Free speech is great, but milking an obviously protester-volatile media circus for shock and political thumb-twiddling is morally inept.

Is that subjective? Fucking hell it is. It's goddamned rock-throwing subjective if you ask me.

Sure I like cats, but it's not about showing the thing being ripped apart or whatever-the-fuck they did to it. It's about using a cat being ripped apart to sell tickets to a film.

Lazy art students. Just because you have remorse doesn't mean you deserve my money.
Given this (il)logic (the logic that the publicity surrounding a cat killing shouldn't be used to generate revenue), then you should equally berate The Toronto Sun, The Toronto Star, The Globe & Mail and whoever else decides to write a review on it as their movie reviews, have a part in generating revenue for their papers.

This is definitely a good case study for the general hypocritical nature of human beings.

lok

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
This is definitely a good case study for the general hypocritical nature of human beings.
Bang on. Why is it legal to massacre chickens in similar if not worse fashions but its EVIL when you do it to a cat.

Specisim is the new racism?

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Do you know for a fact that the perpetrators are making any money off of this?
like i said, the film's producer is an associate of Mr. Powers, so i think it's fair to assume so, but no, i don't know for a certainty.

Do you really think this film will have much life after the film fest?
not really, but who knows¿

I think it's a chance for a mature debate
on what!? the killers claim the intention was to make a video that protested the unthinking consumption of factory-slaughtered animals. i understand this point, as does everyone. i am a vegetarian myself, and there's nothing i want more than for people to treat animals ethically, but where's the room for debate? to say these guys were "misguided" is an understatement.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by lok
Bang on. Why is it legal to massacre chickens in similar if not worse fashions but its EVIL when you do it to a cat.

Specisim is the new racism?
MISSING THE POINT

they tortured the cat.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
Given this (il)logic (the logic that the publicity surrounding a cat killing shouldn't be used to generate revenue), then you should equally berate The Toronto Sun, The Toronto Star, The Globe & Mail and whoever else decides to write a review on it as their movie reviews, have a part in generating revenue for their papers.

do you think anyone buys a paper for a review of a film?

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
like i said, the film's producer is an associate of Mr. Powers, so i think it's fair to assume so, but no, i don't know for a certainty.

not really, but who knows¿

on what!? the killers claim the intention was to make a video that protested the unthinking consumption of factory-slaughtered animals. i understand this point, as does everyone. i am a vegetarian myself, and there's nothing i want more than for people to treat animals ethically, but where's the room for debate? to say these guys were "misguided" is an understatement.
On why this film was made...on the limits of "art"...on animal cruelty laws...on anything to do with this topic.

I think a Q&A is preferable and would accomplish more than some angry yelling outside the theatre. But maybe that's just me.

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
you want an unbiased view of the film? here you go:
Casuistry
n 1: argumentation that is specious or excessively subtle and intended to be misleading 2: moral philosophy based on the application of general ethical principles to resolve moral dilemmas

Doesn't the title basically attack the reasonings given by these individuals that acted so cruelly upon the cat? I think I really love the director of this movie now, or at least whoever came up with the title. Sheer artistic genius. Why waste time feeding complete idiots an explanation about every little thing. Look it up or fuck off. I love it.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
On why this film was made...on the limits of "art"...on animal cruelty laws...on anything to do with this topic.

I think a Q&A is preferable and would accomplish more than some angry yelling outside the theatre. But maybe that's just me.
but we know why the film was made, as the makers are more than happy to tell us.

the limits of art... um lets limit it at the torture/murder stage...

animal cruelty laws need to be tougher.

anyone disagree with any of these points?