• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

cast aluminum

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

patri©k

TRIBE Member
there's this place in scarbz.....

Steve's Castings Ltd.
144 Shorting
Scarborough, ON

hope it helps.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Cast aluminum is rather strong (i refer you to your car's engine)

I just wonder why someone would want that for a gate... aethetic appeal? It would look a little... bright and shiny I'd think? Plus pricey.

But if really want something cost and strength effective, like your seat frames in your camry's and lexusses, I refer you thixomolded, injected magnesium garden gates. Injected magnesium is so HOT right now! Ok not cost effective for just one but...

-jM
A&D

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
I could give you the names of several miscellaneous metals shops that I know are good, but they do a lot of construction work, and so, you being a one of customer, might not get great service.

CIRCE (Sir C)

TRIBE Member
You looking for new custom work to be done?
If not, I just bought a second hand cast iron art deco gate (12' x 5')
There's this crazy flea market up hwy 56? that specializes in them and as long as you don't mind spending a few hours with a wire brush and some Tremclad you can save yourself $100s to 1000s

defazman

TRIBE Member
if you bought an old cast iron gate you could paint it with Tremclad Aluminum paint. No one would be the wiser, unless they tried to lift it or something.

you'd be better off just fabricating something instead of trying to get a casting done.

evil homer

TRIBE Member
defazman said:
you'd be better off just fabricating something instead of trying to get a casting done.

seen!

the few times i've needed custom casts (never aluminum before though) just let your fingers do the walking. You can usually tell within 60 seconds of talking to someone whether or not it's worth your while to do business there. There are lots of fabrication shops around toronto though, look at set designers, high end landscapers and auto body shops. There's two guys who do interiors for nighclubs and have their own CNC machine - not exactly what you're looking for but they could probably hook you up with some hyped up custom metal work.

just for clarification - what precisely are you trying to make/do, maybe there's someone on here who does it or has before.

oh toro

TRIBE Member
Jeffsus said:

I just wonder why someone would want that for a gate... aethetic appeal? It would look a little... bright and shiny I'd think? Plus pricey.

But if really want something cost and strength effective, like your seat frames in your camry's and lexusses, I refer you thixomolded, injected magnesium garden gates. Injected magnesium is so HOT right now! Ok not cost effective for just one but...

-jM
A&D

i dont think there any any engine parts made using cast aluminum. they use billet aluminum. the difference is significant in both strength and method of manufacturing. cast is made from molten aluminum poured into a mold - which is fairly weak. billet is machined down from a solid block of specific grade aluminum. anything that is casted is always weaker.

that said, it's unlikely you will want to pursue casting or machining, no matter what material as it will be very expensive. tubular metal is what will probably be used (unless you have an unlimited budget.)

Last edited:

The Kid

TRIBE Member
There's a dude that does metalwork just a few doors north of me (Carlaw Ave. /Eastern Ave.) sorry forget what they're called... we got some work done by them in the past and they did a fantastic job and didn't charge an arm and a leg (i know this 'cause my old boss was a cheap fucker)

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
oh toro said:
i dont think there any any engine parts made using cast aluminum.

a few

we make a few @ work (aluminum di-casting) that go with engine installs. but the majority of the parts we make are powertrain components... extentions, trans-ends, 4x4 adaptors, etc..

KiFe

TRIBE Member
oh toro said:
i dont think there any any engine parts made using cast aluminum.
cast is made from molten aluminum poured into a mold - which is fairly weak.

2.jpg

"V6 engine-block made from cast aluminium and designed by Hydro Aluminium."

Cast alluminium engine blocks disperse heat better and are lighter weight than typical engine blocks.. steel i guess?

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
oh toro said:
i dont think there any any engine parts made using cast aluminum. they use billet aluminum. the difference is significant in both strength and method of manufacturing. cast is made from molten aluminum poured into a mold - which is fairly weak. billet is machined down from a solid block of specific grade aluminum. anything that is casted is always weaker.

These days, there are three classes of metal products:

1) machined
2) cast
3) forged

You use the word "billet", that basically means "machined". "Machined", like a millwright would so, means taking a block of metal, and cutting out the shape that you need. The advantage of this is that it is fast, and therefore cheap, and you can make things part-by-part to a particular specification without much need to adapt or change your shop. Basically, you hand your drawing to a millwright, and he cuts it out of a piece of metal. Easy. Downside is that, contrary to what you say, this actually produces the weakest kind of part, ie. there is no strength about it whatsoever. This has to do with the way that metal crystalizes. So, you'd use this process for parts that need to be stronger than plastic, but not particularly strong, and for parts that are rare or custom (cause to pay someone to cut something out of metal is expensive if you're going to do it a million times), and also for parts that "CAN" be cut. A car engine cannot be cut out of a solid block of metal because it has hollows and places that cannot easily be carved.

2) cast
All car engines are made of cast metal, which is the pouring of molten metal into a mold. It has to be made of a mold because the insides are too difficult/impossible to be made by machining/carving. Most often the metal used is aluminum because of its light weight, workability, and resistance to corrosion. Casting allows you to design complex metal shapes and, moreover, it is well suited to an automated process. This means you can design a machine that will case hundreds of engines per day; unlike machining where you actually need some dude to cut pieces out of blocks, accurately, which is expensive. The problem with casting is that, though it produces something stronger than machined parts, it's still not *VERY* strong. Hence engines eventually fail.

3) forging
Forgins will produce the strongest metal parts you can make. It involves stamping a piece of nearly molten metal into a particular shape. It is probably the most expensive way of making a metal piece, because you either need very large equipment to automate the process, or a long labour intensive process of a dude hammering (literally) away at metal. Think Sesame Street where they are bashing that red-hot iron into an "I" shape, or hammering away at the bolt which bugs bunny drops down an intricate system of entertaining dropways. The parts of your engine which go under the most amount of abuse, like the pistons, are all forged. They have to be forged, because otherwise they would be real weak and wouldnt last long. Like a Hyundai.

Anyways, the machines that do forging are some of the biggest fuck-off machines I've ever been privilege to work with. Even though they are only making a teeny part, like a piston or a wrench, the whole earth shakes when that die comes down.

Also, I love the smell of mitsubishi heavy industry. I'm sure that smokes carcinogenic and that's why I breathe my jap air through the sweet freshness of a mild seven filter.

-jM
A&D

wayne bradbury

TRIBE Member
Jeffsus said:

-jM
A&D

I used to work machining aircraft parts. I remember doing pieces of the landing gear that were pretty big L shaped cast alluminum. Quite heavy too from what I remember being alluminum and all.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
Jeffsus said:
The parts of your engine which go under the most amount of abuse, like the pistons, are all forged.

afaik, pistons used in cars are made of di-cast aluminum they are not forged @ all.

Anyways, the machines that do forging are some of the biggest fuck-off machines I've ever been privilege to work with. Even though they are only making a teeny part, like a piston or a wrench, the whole earth shakes when that die comes down.

yeah, 2600 ton di-cast machines are a real treat, let me tell you.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Big Cheese said:
afaik, pistons used in cars are made of di-cast aluminum they are not forged @ all.

The high-end ones are forged, or cut from a billet chunk.

But yes, most of your average road cars have cast pistons, and anything else that's aluminium on the engine will be cast as well.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Big Cheese said:

Well, some might be machined or cast, but plenty enough are forged. I've put in robots that hold the parts as they come out red hot.

Also Lexus seat frames are made of injected magnesium. I'd always wondered what would happen if i tried to light them on fire?

-jM
A&D