• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Carver PM 1.5 AMP Troubles!

Gladiator

TRIBE Member
Hi, does anyone know a professional service technician who would be able to repair a Carver PM 1.5 Amplifier?

One possibility is my 2 1/2 years old son, took one of the speaker leads leading into the amp, and shoved it into a wall outlet. This is one possibility... Another possibility, there could have been a spike in power, since I live in a rural area and power outages occur and this amp is notoriously known for being line voltage sensitive, and the third and most likely possibility was that we had a defective wall outlet and when my wife was vacuuming it caused a short and as mentioned this amp is line voltage sensitve and it blew something. :eek:

There is a protection light on the front of the amp, and it is on permanently now(it pulses but stays on). Therefore the amp's protection mechanism is working, however, the amp is not. I need to get this amp fixed asap. I need my music! This is serious!:mad:

HELP! If anyone can direct me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. :confused:

Thanks

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
My TFM-55 fried its power transformer and it can not be fixed as Carver does not support it anymore. Never buy Carver I say.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
I did get this one guys number if all else fails in the USA

*From Email*

Hope this helps,
Colin

Gladiator

TRIBE Member
thanks...

I am pretty sure it was my son who wrecked the amp. He plugged the left speaker output into the wall outlet and blew something... perhaps a capacitor (BIG HUGE ONE). I know a technician on Dundas by Keele, who repairs all sorts of things...

It's not like it's a modern gizmo (made in 1989), and is mainly resitors and capitors - only 1 small ic, so it is very straight forward - ANALOG!!!! Thank God it is not digital!!

I am sure it can be repaired, like i said the Protection light is on, so something is being protected!!

Any other info or help is appreciated....

Thanks

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

echootje

TRIBE Member
Re: thanks...

Originally posted by Gladiator
I am pretty sure it was my son who wrecked the amp. He plugged the left speaker output into the wall outlet and blew something... perhaps a capacitor (BIG HUGE ONE). I know a technician on Dundas by Keele, who repairs all sorts of things...

It's not like it's a modern gizmo (made in 1989), and is mainly resitors and capitors - only 1 small ic, so it is very straight forward - ANALOG!!!! Thank God it is not digital!!

I am sure it can be repaired, like i said the Protection light is on, so something is being protected!!

Any other info or help is appreciated....

Thanks
Have you tried calling Bay/Bloor Audio? At the very least they can refer you.

Rob

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Humanjava
My TFM-55 fried its power transformer and it can not be fixed as Carver does not support it anymore. Never buy Carver I say.
Anything can be fixed. It all depends on wether or not you can afford it :p

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mike Richards
Anything can be fixed. It all depends on wether or not you can afford it :p
I would not waste ten cents on another Carver thing. My ears and speakers preffer my Audioresearch any day...

Gladiator

TRIBE Member
THANK YOU MIKE!! & co...

Hi guys....

Thanks a million Mike R. I called Mike next door and told him that you sent me.

Well he told me drop it off, and that he was a qualified service tech for Carver... So you have definately sent me in the right direction Mike... I will buy you a coffee when I am there so you better be there tomorrow!!! Around 2:00pm! I've been at your store before to buy tickets a while back...

Regardless THANKs!!

Ps. For those who wanted to know... This Carver is being used for home-private use, and believe me, is better than A LOT of newer digital crap. For my purposes, this carver ROCKS the FARM!

600 WATTs PER CHANNEL! IN YOUR HOUSE!!! I have blown many crappy speakers who couldn't hack the BEAT!

This carver is hooked up to a complete YAMAHA NATURAL SOUND System, which I bought from a friend who upgraded to Harmen Karden. He knows his sound systems. He is actually a winner of many PRO CAR audio competitions, his car(minivan) would FUNK YOU UP, BAD! Honestly a true work of art. AND SO CLEAN!!! Reminds me of a theatre, cool thing is, the world is the stage and the sound system just carries you through it. AWESOME Experience! The Down??? Driving home listening to tunes on the crappy GM DELCO...

Later...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Gladiator

TRIBE Member
How did I know someone was going to bug me about the spelling of Harman/Kardon. Honestly didn't know what vowels to end those two names in.

Tribers are very meticulous readers... If they see an error they politely tell you about it... I could have given in to my need to be spelling error free, but just couldn't and didn't have the time to scour yahoo to get the proper spelling... But I truely enjoy reading the posts here... and enjoy all the input...

As Ian says CHEERS!!! TO YOU ALL!

Later...

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: THANK YOU MIKE!! & co...

Originally posted by Soundstream
Is that like the cheap knock-off brand of Harman/Kardon? ;)

Cheers ... Ian :)
Old harmon kardon is better than any new carver. Some of the Citation power amps are tuff to top even today.

The new harmon kardon well thats a whole other story.

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: THANK YOU MIKE!! & co...

Originally posted by Humanjava
The new harmon kardon well thats a whole other story.
Is that like the cheap knock-off brand of Harman/Kardon? ;)

Gladiator

TRIBE Member
Why would you say that Astroboy? Not interesting enough for you? Perhaps I should have thrown in some type of masturbation joke. Perhaps if the repair shop where I was told to get my amp fixed was located on top of a rub and tug this thread would have appealed to you a bit more....

This thread was very helpful to me, regardless if it diverted blood to your extremities or not...

bye.

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Gladiator
Why would you say that Astroboy? Not interesting enough for you?
Don't worry Gladiator. His comment was referring to the fact that my posts ruined the thread, not the original content.

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
Gladiator, slow down there homey, dunno what you're going on about...I was referring to Ian's use of cheesy one liners in every thread!

the ones in this thread in particular are extra rank!

I hope you have good luck getting your amp fixed, i can sympathize with the frustrations when favorite electronics are on the fritz!

Gladiator

TRIBE Member
No flaming intended Astroboy...

It was late, and the amp is just one of the many things my 2 3/4 year old has destroyed.

In the last 2 months my son has cost me close to $500.

First it was my computer monitor, my son found the cleaning spray my wife uses to clean the counters etc, and while we were in a semi state of consciousness (Saturday morning) I could hear a "sprayer" being sprayed, I quickly woke up to find him, leaning into the monitor spraying feverishly onto the screen. So much liquid was sprayed that it instantly began to make the monitor spark and make smoke!! Then a huge pop and that was it!! I was so caught up with the smoke and sparks and I had to pull him away for fear of him getting electrocuted!!

An hour or so later, I discovered that he also decided to clean my HP digital camera, and that was a major scare!! The camera was SOAKED!! When I turned it on, the lcd screen went GREEN with red dots, (No not a Christmas scene) and then would not turn on at all. I managed to take the camera apart, and I thought to myself, well there is only 4 AA's (6v) that couldn't blow too much. Sure enough after taking it apart (VERY CAREULLY) and allowing the camera to dry (hung it over the wood stove) after approximately 3 hours it booted up, but all pics in memory were corrupted.

And now most recently, he took the output wires of the carver and shoved it into the wall outlet. MY SON IS OUT TO GET ME!! HELP!!

Thank goodness I am a patient man, and that my wife is able to calm me down with her 'special ways'...

I was the same when I was small, but my dad had the sense to put all valuables behind lock and key. Actually it has been 30 years, and everything is still behind lock and key!!

I am good at repairing things, but I guess my dad thought I was the master of destruction when I was small. My son just wanted to help, in regards to the monitor (cleaning help) and in regards to the amp, well he came out running from the room screaming "owwee owwee!!" hope that experience will teach him not to play around with wires and outlets!!

Ps. I have a 16 month old second son, who thinks everything the 2 3/4 year old does is the bomb! HELP ME PLEASE LORD!! FOR THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO!!!

Later....

and Astroboy..... Peace....