• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Carl Craig

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by oddmyth
So you're saying that whether a DJ believes the importance of good mixing or awesome track selection can be based on seeing them play?

Twonz I would believe is more into mixing than track selection, same with Bass Frog, and Acid Pimp. Rolando is a great DJ who plays awesome tracks and knows how to mix, I don't see how you could perceive that he puts mixing above track selection just by seeing him play.

odbx
Let's clear this up for once and for all as I don't think my point is clear enough. Yes it is about the music but what I was getting at is a good DJ will mix better and remix instead of just playing a good track and letting that do the work. Fucken hit players and slaves to someone else if you can not work over a mix I say. Twonz, Murrat, Rolando, etc all work the music over so it's not as important what they play as the track is only a foundation and the mix will make the music. If you want someone who can just play great tracks and not mix buy a laptop or a mixed CD because it would be a sure of a lot better. I know because so much shit has been around over the years and people are just happy with the so called ok mixes everything degenerated technically and now the vibe is gone to and all you get is a bunch of record searching wankers who think cuz I have this in my case I am good. YAAA K!

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
I still can't agree with that, I agree with the remixing dealy, but honestly I've seen Rolando mix straight and remix via doubles etc. its good but it wouldn't have been half as fun or interesting if the track he was doing doubles with wasn't Fix - Flash, the track made the double copying AWESOME, the double copying itself wasn't all that special, especially if it was done with a mediocre track.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by oddmyth
I still can't agree with that, I agree with the remixing dealy, but honestly I've seen Rolando mix straight and remix via doubles etc. its good but it wouldn't have been half as fun or interesting if the track he was doing doubles with wasn't Fix - Flash, the track made the double copying AWESOME, the double copying itself wasn't all that special, especially if it was done with a mediocre track.
Your just mad cuz you can't mix :p
Anyways I am not arguing the merits that a track can not help as I posted a long ways back in one of the posts but rather that a good mix and i proven it time after time when I played how a mix can do more. I have had people say I never thought that track was anygood until they heard it worked over. Get down with it biaaach and you will learn how far the mix can take you and not be a slave to just track selection. Now I am not saying also that some tracks are not special and there is a time to that you let a track play as it stands on its own. More often than not its just a lame excuse for lack of skills though. People wonder why nights fail and scenes faulter when nothing fresh happens.

:confused:

Da grunj

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by why not
if you're trying to pull old school rank with derek, you're even more ridiculous than i thought.
Yeha Derek you fucking OLD GUY ! :D

gotta feel good boutdat!

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
CONVERSION @ BOA PRESENTS:

HUMANJAVA LIVE!!!!!!

Be prepared for PERFECT mixes EVERYTIME. Get ready for KILLER TRACKS that EVERYONE WILL LOVE.... EVERYTIME. If you don't know what you like, HUMANJAVA WILL SHOW YOU AND TELL YOU WHY YOU SHOULD LIKE IT.

Proper techno credentials will be checked at the door. Please have your Techno ID ready. Please note that Humanjava will personally check all Techno credentials prior to entry.

Conversion @ Boa: converting tech heads into tech heads, cuz that's what it's all about.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
^^ Warning Not responsible for exploding heads from the brain overload or for personal injury because of brain matter on the floor and slipage well dancing!!*

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Humanjava
Don't you mean the dripping sweat off your greesy forhead.

:p
Yes. That's precisely what I meant.

Awesome diss, bro. Awesome. If your mixing is as good as your smack talk we're in for a treat........ when?

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Rude1_247
Yes. That's precisely what I meant.

Awesome diss, bro. Awesome. If your mixing is as good as your smack talk we're in for a treat........ when?
I am working on a few things but most my time at the moment is focused on getting a few things done with the productions. But don't worry I will make sure everyone gets a chance to see me trainwreck all night long.

hahaha.

;)

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Re: round and round and round it goes...

Originally posted by gsnuff
maybe he was distracted by your programming?
or his good looks!

thank god for the ignore function. this is stupid.

why not

TRIBE Member
all i know is that i don't think i'd ever play a track that couldn't stand up on it's own (the only exception being straight tools like accappellas or drum tracks).

i own tracks that don't stand up on their own, but i don't play them.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Humanjava
Of course, and seen you play.

HA!
Cool - well at least I know programming and good looks will get me gigs while I practice my mixing skills.

odbx

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
for the non-uppity, techno-isn't-life, open-minded, techno fans, your mixes are great, Todd. Looking forward to getting to a Pusher event sometime soon. I can't speak for the other crowd as my neck isn't long enough to get my head that far up my ass.

Anyways, CARL CRAIG!!!! I've been listening to one of his older sets [10 Years Out Soon (La Rocca, Spain) from 2002] and have really been digging the way his programming seems to come hard with the beats. His own trax are a little odd (see Carl Craig & Laurent Garnier - Demented for a big WTF) but I still dig his live sets.

When was the last time he was in Toronto?

why not

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Rude1_247
for the non-uppity, techno-isn't-life, open-minded, techno fans, your mixes are great, Todd. Looking forward to getting to a Pusher event sometime soon. I can't speak for the other crowd as my neck isn't long enough to get my head that far up my ass.

Anyways, CARL CRAIG!!!! I've been listening to one of his older sets [10 Years Out Soon (La Rocca, Spain) from 2002] and have really been digging the way his programming seems to come hard with the beats. His own trax are a little odd (see Carl Craig & Laurent Garnier - Demented for a big WTF) but I still dig his live sets.

When was the last time he was in Toronto?
i think it was that hallowe'en party (am i wrong?)