• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Carl Craig

derek

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
I will be closing the main room
that's really cool.

i'd luv to make it too, but i'll be camping in killarney that week. i'm not certain i'll be in any condition to party when i get back friday night.

i've been fortunate enough to see carl several times. y'all are in for a treat.

one time he dropped belaugsi is dead by bahaus

Last edited:

ben

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by derek

one time he dropped belaugsi is dead by bahaus

I remember this! It was Halloween, three years ago, can't remember where. Roxy Blu maybe?

<btw, it's 'Bela Lugosi's dead.'>

derek

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ben
I remember this! It was Halloween, three years ago, can't remember where. Roxy Blu maybe?

<btw, it's 'Bela Lugosi's dead.'>
roxy it was

leave it to a dj to spell the title wrong. i do it everytime with this track. i needed the record in front of me i suppose.:D hey, ben i think you need to check our the dj mix forum, something there that might catch your intersest ;)

Last edited:

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
I was all ready to comment on how the idea of seeing Carl Craig does nothing for me when I realized: I was thinking of Juan Atkins.

Never mind. See you there. :p

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Truth
better producer than dj...
Terrible DJ, wicked and one of my favorite producers along side of the likes of Garnier. His work of Holst's The Planets is awesome.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by tEkKiD
not quite his track , just a remix of another integrate part of techno.

Maurizio.
He did a good remix of S-Xpress, and also Tori Amos God or what if god or some shiznit like that.

grit

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Humanjava
Terrible DJ, wicked and one of my favorite producers along side of the likes of Garnier. His work of Holst's The Planets is awesome.
Terrible?? I think that's a bit of an exageration, no?

When I heard him last time in town, he was playing some deeeeep ass, abstract, very interesting techno.

'Mixing' is not the first priority for many detroit dj's.

derek

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by grit

When I heard him last time in town, he was playing some deeeeep ass, abstract, very interesting techno.

you're in the techno room, son;)

where if the mix ain't flawless, it's terrible. :p

personally, i dig carl craig.

cheers,

derek

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by grit

I don't know what school of the 313 you know but it was always about the mix first and less about trax. That is a Toronto thing whack mixes and more about trax. Carl Craig I have seen a few times in and out this city and at least twice I had to leave the room cuz the mixes blew serious dog ass farts.

grit

TRIBE Member
I don't know what school of the 313 you know but it was always about the mix first and less about trax. That is a Toronto thing whack mixes and more about trax. Carl Craig I have seen a few times in and out this city and at least twice I had to leave the room cuz the mixes blew serious dog ass farts.
So therefore you'd prefer to hear shit records mixed flawlessly, than mindboggling records not mixed to perfection?

I don't understand how anyone can say mix before trax. If the trax are lame, who the fuck cares bout the mixes!!!

grit

TRIBE Member
Just to add, IMO it's about MUSIC first, then dj'ing. The dj is there to program the music, and exagerate it,etc. if need be. Without dope music, there's NOTHING.

why not

TRIBE Member
which detroit DJs are you referring too? (drop some names and it'll make more sense)

the biggest names (that i can think of) are famous for blowing mixes (of incredible songs).
i can't believe you would leave a room because of it, not when they're playing the kind of music carl craig does.

when i talk to people from other parts of the world, they're ofter amused at toronto's obsession over long and tight mixes - i've been told repeatedly that it's not a big deal elsewhere: if the tunes are good, and you're playing them at the right time, people will dance.

Nesta

TRIBE Member
i read an interview where derrick may said the complete opposite - music first, mixing second! hmmm...

blipblurpbleep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by why not
which detroit DJs are you referring too? (drop some names and it'll make more sense)

the biggest names (that i can think of) are famous for blowing mixes (of incredible songs).
i can't believe you would leave a room because of it, not when they're playing the kind of music carl craig does.

when i talk to people from other parts of the world, they're ofter amused at toronto's obsession over long and tight mixes - i've been told repeatedly that it's not a big deal elsewhere: if the tunes are good, and you're playing them at the right time, people will dance.

that's it!
i'm moving...

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Why Not- Mills, Hood, Rolando, Stacey (maybe), etc. All true detroit players son.

Grit- A good dj recreates music so the tracks are only a foundation. Mills is not just someone who is based on good tracks. The reason he is good is mostly because of his mixes and the way he layers the music. Apperently you are out of the school of trainspotting and gayness so you would dance to a track even if the mix was totally runners in the dryer variety. Get with ppl just because you have heard way to much whackness over the years does not make it right. Now just to be reasonable if someone was playing say slayer records all night but the mixes where the bomb I am sure I would not want to hear that either.