• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Carl Craig

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
seeing him at industry got me into producing music. he did a live show that for whatever reason made me think..... thats what i wanna do. the guy is pretty amazing. but not dancefloor lets do E amazing... more like modern funk amazing.

years later i dj'd with him at a party in buffalo and gave him a copy of a record I'd pressed. i was abit manic meeting him in the loud confines of a dj booth. i'm convinced he thought i was nutts! oh and 2o mins into his set the power went out in the party..... it was so unfair....

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I heard he did this music thing with instruments, and machines. He played for Bev & Willy @ Ritual 4 and tore up industry with his "Vampire of the Night" bit.

Aside from the regular dance floor bits he's done, "Land Cruising" & the Innerzone Orchestra album are hype ass.

"hi, it's me. i know you're probably asleep, but I wanted to say 'hi' "HIIIIIIII"...

eheheheheee...

anyway. i digress.

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
don't forget the track "Domina"

I really enjoy the albums "More Songs About Food & Revolutionary Art" and auhh cant think of the name of it... blue cover, pink hand i think in the middle, double pack --- very nice warm music

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Bernnie Federko
I heard he did this music thing with instruments, and machines. He played for Bev & Willy @ Ritual 4 and tore up industry with his "Vampire of the Night" bit.
that was the nite......

totally blew me away with his blackulla introduction... i remember thinking "who the fuck is this?" then realizing half way through it that it WAS carl craig.

that was another of an amazing nite... anyone know what the date was on that party?

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
6 9

that's what its all about baby.

them records ain't cheap either, 4 Jazz Funk Classics (an ass kicking record) even repressed still goes for $20 US... DAMN!

CC is all over the map, personally I like his techno the best, the rest of the stuff he does is hit and miss with me.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vveerrgg
that was the nite......

totally blew me away with his blackulla introduction... i remember thinking "who the fuck is this?" then realizing half way through it that it WAS carl craig.

that was another of an amazing nite... anyone know what the date was on that party?
i got the flyer somewhere. prob' 97ish... hmmmmmmm... i remember the ceiling sweating, and towards the morning the curtains beginning to fall down. It WAS tight.

as for the 69 tunes, mmmmmmmmmm, "desire" got them strings going ON.

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
Last edited:

why not

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vveerrgg
seeing him at industry got me into producing music. he did a live show that for whatever reason made me think..... thats what i wanna do. the guy is pretty amazing. but not dancefloor lets do E amazing... more like modern funk amazing.

i think that gig was influential for a lot of us.
kind of seemed like the industry crowd was a bit confused by him and moodymann though.

i remember his DJ set got cut very short, and he wasn't happy about it.

The Truth

TRIBE Member
The Industry gig a few years back was quite disappointing for me mainly because his set was very short and he hardly played any of his better stuff..I remember talking a lot of shit on the mic too

I believe he was billed as "Carl Craig live" for that one but he has also performed as "Paperclip People live" "Interzone Orchestra live" and most recently I saw him perform as "Tres Demented live"

I must say his "69" stuff is prob his best and his "Landcrusing" album is very underrated because of the automobile/driving theme and lack of dancefloor tracks

keld

TRIBE Member
did you see him live the other night? i missed him along with pretty much everything else, except boring luke laptop vibert.

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
Do you know if he is going to be djing or playing live?

fingers crossed that he is playing live.

So will this night be more of a house night?

I saw him play with a band a few years ago i cant think of the name, it was really jazzy stuff, i loved it. He is such a good artist up there with Herbert.

you need to book HERBERT Sarah !

and have me play :D

seeker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mrs peacock
I saw him play with a band a few years ago i cant think of the name, it was really jazzy stuff, i loved it.
The Detroit Experiment?

Like the Philadelphia Experiment before it, the Detroit Experiment featured the involvement of several musicians from the city it was named after. After all was recorded and pressed, its range of artists proved to be more diverse than that of The Philadelphia Experiment, boasting names from the fields of jazz, rap, and techno_Over the course of five days, techno pioneer Carl Craig (Paperclip People, Innerzone Orchestra) and producer/percussionist Karriem Riggins (Slum Village, Common) recorded a crew that numbered well over a dozen. Trumpet player Marcus Belgrave (Ray Charles, Charles Mingus, Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra) was one of the key participants, who helped bring along pianist Geri Allen and violinist Regina Carter. Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock veteran Bennie Maupin brought his clarinet and saxophone. Saxophonist/flautist Alan Barnes (the Blackbyrds), guitarist Perry Hughes (Earl Klugh), drummer Ron Otis (Klugh, Aretha Franklin), bassist Jaribu Shahid (Roscoe Mitchell, James Carter), bassist Al Turner (Klugh, Franklin, Nancy Wilson), and keyboardist Amp Fiddler (Parliament, Prince, Moodymann) each brought their extensive experience in the jazz , R&B, and funk worlds. Rappers Athletic Mic League and Invincible also came aboard.
from allmusic.com

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
OMG I THINK I JUST CAME IN MY PANTS!

I don't care how he does it.... playing at BOA! Dood thats awesome! I'm so there...... what are the ticket prices like for this one?