• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Career Clothing?

kmac

TRIBE Member
Ladies, I am in the process of brainstorming places to buy clothing for young professional women. Doesn't matter if it's high-end or low-end. This is a work project but I'm sure someone out there will find this information beneficial.

I'd prefer places located in major cities across the country but any place will do.

Thanks. :)

supakeli

TRIBE Member
Fantastic thread idea.
I've just come up against my first job with a business casual dresscode and could use some help.
Was in H&M yesterday and did alright, but I suppose that ones pretty obvious.

deevah

TRIBE Member
femme carrier
H&M
Club Monaco
Tom's Place
Max Studio
Winners
Jacobs

I also found that Envelop moved to Danforth, past broadview just next to 7 Numbers. Local designer - simple clean, well made clothing

if any of you girls are in the states - find a Loehmann's. It's like a Winners for designer stuff - designer suits for $300-400.

Also in the US, check out Theory

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kmac

TRIBE Member
deevah said:
I also found that Envelop moved to Danforth, past broadview just next to 7 Numbers. Local designer - simple clean, well made clothing
Oooh, I want to check that out.

What's Max Studio?

sugar

TRIBE Member
I buy most of my work clothes at Jacob. Their pants fit me properly.

My 2 suits are from Mexx and Club Monaco.

kmac

TRIBE Member
I will. I love store dogs! I used to work at this one store on Queen and we had a dog named Benny Lewis, a golden lab, who hung out with us all day long.

On another note, I wish Reiss was in Canada.

*single tear*

I fell in love with everything I saw there when I was in their NYC store.

http://www.reiss.co.uk/

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kmac

TRIBE Member
Also, not that I want people to do my homework for me but, like sugar mentioned that Jacob makes pants that fit her... how would you describe your body type? Like where do the girls with curves get most of their clothes? The boy bodies? The petites? The tall girls?

Hollah!

deevah

TRIBE Member
jacob use to fit me properly until a couple yrs ago - i tried on several pairs of pants and either the waist fit but the crotch didn't, or fit the hip and i couldn't zip it up....i haven't been back since. I do, however, adore the pants i bought almost 4 yrs ago there and still wear them in the rotation.

i'm not so curvy but i do have a bum and thunderthighs

and i'm repeating here - i'm on the hunt for french cuff shirts. Again i bought one from jacob a few yrs ago and i KNEW then i should've picked it up in several colours. It needs to be fitted and have a bit of stretch. But at this point, i'm willing to try anything.

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
I'm in the nasty zone between regular and plus size clothes (16-18), and I NEVER go wrong at Reitmans. Great separates, petite and plus sizes, can be used for both casual and office formal. Great prices too.

I make a rule never to spend more than $30 on any item of clothing I own - which makes Winners, Value Village, Goodwill, and Reitmans basically the only places I shop. Oh and Palm Fashion on Yonge just north of King. Cheap stuff, but great for little tops etc. to wear under suits.

Most of the other stores mentioned above don't carry sizes for more *ahem* curvaceous girls like me.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

deevah

TRIBE Member
Gfunkdiva said:
Oh and Palm Fashion on Yonge just north of King. Cheap stuff, but great for little tops etc. to wear under suits.
there's one on yonge just north of wellesley too

the gatekeeper

TRIBE Member
kmac said:
Also, not that I want people to do my homework for me but, like sugar mentioned that Jacob makes pants that fit her... how would you describe your body type? Like where do the girls with curves get most of their clothes? The boy bodies? The petites? The tall girls?

Hollah!
I find Mexx good for pants that fit me. I'm fairly tall (5'-8.5") although I never usually have length problems (i guess my legs aren't that long proportionally). I tend to have issues finding pants that are a good fit for the bum/thighs that don't gape around my waist as I'm more on the curvy side of things. Their pants have usually done me well.

sugar

TRIBE Member
kmac said:

Hollah!
I would say my body is a blend of slim/curvy, and average height. 130lbs, 5'5".

Jacob's pants fit me the way I want them to: I can pull them up over my thighs/hips/ass, and yet they're not gaping at the waist. I have a fairly hourglass shape, but a lot of stores seem to cut their pants to fit someone with no ass or something.

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
Gfunkdiva said:
I'm in the nasty zone between regular and plus size clothes (16-18), and I NEVER go wrong at Reitmans. Great separates, petite and plus sizes, can be used for both casual and office formal. Great prices too.

I make a rule never to spend more than $30 on any item of clothing I own - which makes Winners, Value Village, Goodwill, and Reitmans basically the only places I shop. Oh and Palm Fashion on Yonge just north of King. Cheap stuff, but great for little tops etc. to wear under suits.

Most of the other stores mentioned above don't carry sizes for more *ahem* curvaceous girls like me.
What she said :) About the same size, and a fan of cheap stuff.

Bean

TRIBE Member
so far, banana republic (despite the price / quality ratio) makes the only dress pants that fit me (relatively low on the waist, flared leg). alas, the price precludes me from indulging.

jacob pants generally sit too high on the waist for me.

however, it's been aaaages since i've bought work clothes. the last year or so i've been lucky enough to get away with wearing jeans at work.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
Good thread! I won't be working professionally anytime soon but I'm tired of people assuming I'm still in high school. I want to have a couple of more professional outfits for when I'm at conferences/meetings but I don't have a clue.
My body type is pretty slim (5'8, 130) but hour glass-ish (24 waist, 36 hips). I have found pants I like at Guess and Winners but I'm talking jeans.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Gfunkdiva said:

You always look freaking awesome!! :)

Personally my stuff is a/ OLD and b/ a combination of solid color pants, skirts, blouses and shirts of all lengths/styles from zara, RW&Co, smart set, mexx, FCUK, gap and jacob.

I have one blouse from H&M that is work appropriate, but generally I would not shop at H&M for work clothes. I think they look cheap (fine for lounging around but not the office environment IMO)

kmac re. the fitting question - my biggest issue is my thighs/butt - I need wider leg pants to get the fit in the waist. and length is an issue, I usually need a 33" inseam and the only place I've found it off the rack is zara and FCUK. I got a great pair of linen pants from fcuk that cost me over $100 but they are worth it. (even though there is a makeup stain on them :( ) Smart set pants fit the legs but are too short, gap has that weird side pocket issue for anyone with hips, jacob pants just look funny on me, and RW&Co's are too short as well.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
wiat until suzy sheer and fairweathers have sales.. you can get dress pants, work t's and other basics really cheap