• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Career Change

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I did a complete career change at 30. I originally studied Adult Education at Ryerson and then worked in corporate Training & Development in the energy sector. I was making great money, getting great appraisals and was steadily moving up the ladder. It was a salaried job, working about 50hrs week. I did really like the people I was working with and I enjoyed instructional design/facilitation a lot. However, after a while I started not feeling challenged by it and wanting to be outdoors instead of inside a classroom or at a cubicle. It wasn't my passion and I had a decent amount saved in the bank, so it was not too difficult to let it go and try something new. The things I was really wanting to do was work in greenhouses growing plants, working outside while playing in the dirt and ride motorcycles.

I resigned from my corporate job and immediately went back to school for horticulture and got my motorcycle license. I've been working in the landscape field for years now and thoroughly enjoy my work. I started out working for a company doing high-end design/build/maintenance in Rosedale and Forest Hill. That was a good starting point to learn about a lot of different aspects of the industry. Since then I've volunteered a bunch, studied a lot and worked a lot more. Now I teach horticulture at Humber College in the winters, work at the greenhouses/native plant nursery in High Park in the spring and then work as a gardener for the city in the summer/fall while also teaching motorcycle safety in the summer/fall as well. It is exactly where I want to be at this point in my life. I like being able to sweat from the moment I start work to the moment I get home (unfortunately this sometimes happens in the classroom too:(. I like coming home physically tired and knowing I actually accomplished something tangible. I like being out in the sun and breathing fresh air.

I get 8 weeks off each year, which is when I travel. I also have the ability to work less now than I did before (if I choose), which comes in handy for being able to spend time my lady. I certainly make less money now than if I had stayed in my previous career, but now I'm very happy and before I wasn't. Changing careers is one of the best things I could have ever done for myself.

Enjoy the big leap!
Good for you, man. That's some inspiring shit.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

rentboy

TRIBE Member
I'm currently in the midst of an attempt at a career change. It's sort of soul crushing to think of starting at the bottom all over again (although after last year I'm kind of there anyway), but the thought of working in this industry for the rest of my life fills me with dread. I'm doing school part time because the idea of taking out a student loan makes me want to poke out my eyeballs. Been there, done that. It sucks working full time and going to school and it's terrifying to think this won't lead anywhere. It's tough out there to even find a job within your field so meh, who knows.

But it's nice to hear of other people succeeding!

I did the working full time, school part time. It's tough but better than racking up more loan debt. It will pay off too if you have a vision of what you want to do it, so chin up Amanda. The fact you are making that step is a positive thing.

This is my third career change and the one I'm enjoying the most.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

newstyle666

TRIBE Member
Changed careers at 31. In a unique niche industry now, kinda unexpected. Quit corporate world... Married and then left Canada w / wife. It was way more difficult to find a job/career in our new country, so was unemployed for about 2 years basically. The way we could make it work were due to apartment buildings I purchased in Canada between 2006 - 2009 when was briefly making serious money. Also my wife came with her own investment properties so that helped. Rent would come in, would pay expenses thru ebills and then raid the accounts and pull out cash each month as needed (leaving tax provisions). Actually I still do that now, but use it for other things...

My advice is -- plunge in and go for it. It's worth the ride.

Last edited:

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
I did the working full time, school part time. It's tough but better than racking up more loan debt. It will pay off too if you have a vision of what you want to do it, so chin up Amanda. The fact you are making that step is a positive thing.

This is my third career change and the one I'm enjoying the most.

thanks, friend :)

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
Nice Steve - A great position to be in and sounds like a lot of thought has gone into your future.

After many years at TD, I was restructured out, and had a really great 6 month vacation (I had to downplay how much fun I had, as losing your job is supposed to be a sad time). I had the opportunity to spend a tonne of time with my kids which I never thought I would have while working. I am now back working, but on my own terms. I am doing some contract recruitment work while I figure out where I want to be long term. I am also doing a lot of volunteer work to give back a little and help others.

31 is a great age - just getting going in some respects and I wish you all the best with your decision (even if you are a Chelsea fan :) ).

Cheers,

jc

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders