1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

car window tinting

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Dirty Girl, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

can anyone give me a realistic estimate on what it would cost to have a crappy window tint job removed and then retinted properly?

or how much would it cost just to have the crappy one removed?

do all cars come with some sort of tint on the windows?
    so if you had to remove someone elses tint job, would you then have to put some sort of something back on, or could you just leave it without anything on it?

2. green_souljah

green_souljah TRIBE Member

Tint sucks balls, I had to put a boneyard driver side window in my vert and it had a half ass tint job. Peeling it off left the sticky residue behind which is slowly coming off.

I was going to use Acetone but read that because glass is basically sand that it will eat the window, or soften it, make it shit anyways.

So Ive just been using degreaser and rags and its slowly coming off.

You can try and razor blade type tool but be careful, Ive cut myself too many times on them.

No idea what a pro would charge, I know the local tint guy in my hood charges 225-250 cash money to do a fresh tint job. If he had to remove all the old tint though I imagine another bill or two would be tacked on.

Good luck!

3. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

goo gone?

[​IMG]

4. green_souljah

green_souljah TRIBE Member

Maybe Ill give that a shot...Im not going to lie I didn't really try all that hard to take it off, its a convertible so its down 90% of the time anyways.

Thanks for the tip.

5. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

speaking of tint.

i need to get my mazda 3's windows tinted. it's black micra. it's gotta get done soon. Owned the car since feburary and i really really would love the windows tinted.

Someoene on a mazda 3 forum (local one) suggested Pro Tint here in whitby.

i think ill visit them during my next paycheque.

after that, i get my rims done. I have a pic of some nice black rims w/ a red trim around the edge (momo rims) that i saw one another car while during one of my work shifts.

:D

already did my intake, i want a new exhaust system on it as well. With all that added to my car, it shall be p1mp :D

6. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

Nothing screams "I'm a drug dealer, pull me over" than tinted windows.

I'm just sayin...

They are also kind of douchey imo. And are a hazard as other drivers can't make eye contact with you when making road maneuvers which is an important part of driving.

7. zedtech

zedtech TRIBE Member

LMAO, there are a lot more drug dealers in Toronto than I thought then.

8. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

You say Toronto, but did you really mean Brampton? ;)

9. alexd

I saw a car in South Africa in February that has everything tinted black, even the tail light and headlight lenses. It looked really cool but i am sure that would be illegal here, right?

10. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Anyone remember that old radio ad, "OH NO! BAD WINDOW TINT" - said in a thick south asian accent...

11. zedtech

zedtech TRIBE Member

LOL, well played.

12. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Back in the 90s I had my rear tail lights slightly tinted with this spray-on tint. Never got any tickets for it. As long as the lights can be seen through the tint and are not obscured by it then I would think it's ok.

Lobo

13. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

Tint King (numerous locations in and around the GTA) is the way to go for anything related to work you need done. Lifetime warranty on everything they do...you may pay a few bucks more but they know what their doing and I've taken my previous two cars to them and have been 100% happy.

14. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

i wouldnt mind it if the windows on my Saab were tinted, not like that dark black tint but like a smokey tint, enough to make the light less annoying, but not something that would make seeing out them at night seem futile.

and how are after market tints done? is it always some sort of transparent adhesive skin thats applied? as i assume tints that come with the car from factory, the glass is actually tinted.

these are the things i need to know.

[jai]

15. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

16. alexd

17. the_fornicator

the_fornicator TRIBE Member

A hair dryer and a razor blade and that goo gone stuff is magic.

use the hair dryer to soften the tint up and then use a razor blade to slowly take it off. clean up with goo gone.

18. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

Oh, for a second there I thought you were talking about the girl in the story.