• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Car Insurance Question

zoo

TRIBE Member
Hopefully somebody in the industry or with experience can help me with this ..

I haven't owned a car for 4 years, and thus I haven't been insured for 4 years. I occaisionally drive friends' cars here and there, family cars, and more recently I've been driving my girlfriend's car about once a month or so (sometimes once a week if necessary).

All the cars I drive are insured by their respective owners of course. Is what I'm doing against the law? Do I need to buy some sort of "promiscuous driver" insurance? I took a look at the Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO) website and the only relevant insurance coverage I could find was OPFC 27 ... granting lots of coverage to when you drive a car that isn't yours. But the catch is -- this is an 'enhancement' to a standard plan.

Why would I get a standard insurance plan if I don't own a car or drive one reguarly? Is it even possible or financially worthwhile?

I've been told by some people that I can drive without paying an insurance company as long as the car is insured by the owner, but the FSCO clearly says "every motorist and vehicle must have insurance," even though they don't explain anything further into my specific case.

Please help!

MrMarcus

TRIBE Member
AFAIK, if you get into any sort of accident with the car you are driving, you will automatically be covered by the car owner's policy when he/she renews it. Meaning, her premium is going to go up because of of 1. the accident, and 2. the inclusion of you in the policy.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
trebuchet

and if you are over 25, and you have your own insurance you are automatically insured under any vehicle or aht is how it used to be

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
insurance for trebuchets is on a sliding scale, depending on it you actually make your occupant reach the sun versus burning up in the atmosphere

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
trebuchet deductibles can be very high though, depending on the model year and its gross vehicle weight rating. (GVWR)

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
indeed, and the country of origin, hungarian trebuchets are of the worst quality, so your deductible is usually high, where as the czech trebuchets are of superior quality and have very low deductibles, you have to shop around...dont skimp on insurance is the rule of thumb

kyfe

TRIBE Member
zoo there is nothing wrong with what you're doing,

but if you live with your g/f, i'd suggest being added as an occassional operator under her policy. it'll give you insurance experience and ensure that if anything happens you won't run into problems when making a claim.

you cannot get your own insurance since you have no vehicle (insurable interest) and OPFC27 is a rental car endorsment that transfers the coverage on one's insurance policy to a vehicle that they rent, removing the need to purchase insurance from the rental agency.

if you have any other questions feel free to PM me

AshG

incidentally zoo, you might look into having a parent or sibling list you as an occasional driver on their policy(even if you never drive their car).

it usually costs them no more to add you, and you would thben have an insurance record building up that's guaranteed to be accident free, which will help out quite a bit if you ever intend to own a car yourself.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories