• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Car E-Test - Check Engine Light Issue.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I need to get my sticker (my birthday is tomorrow) but my stupid check engine light is on. Now, before you jump down my back about taking care of the car, I have already had it scanned a few times! One issue is the power windows control is shoddy on the driver side (like someone spilled, or left the window open). THe only other code was the "check vacuum hose" which we did, and it seems fine. Cleared the codes, and drove it through a cycle and the engine light came on again.

I heard it is an automatic fail.

Care runs fine, it is a 2000 VW Jetta TDI. Until this year Diesel was a "visual" inspection, and now it is with the computer.

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
This is an auto fail for sure. It may just be a $50 sensor that has gone but they will not pass you without the light off.

Puma

TRIBE Member
The new test does not measure the tail pipe emission any longer. Instead it scans the computer for bad history. If u have the check engine light on that means you have some faulty sensors and your car will not pass. Even if your check engine light is not on you can fail. because on some cars it goes away if you ignore it for about 20 starts so that it can record a new failure. It will record a bad code and once tested it will most likely fail. Some sensors cost around $500 dollars . Once you change the sensor and clear the code you have to drive the car for a few days to build up some data. If there is no data because you cleared the code they won't let you pass.

Make sure you get the test done early other wise you might have to change a few sensors before they let you pass it could take some time to get all this done.

I hope you all enjoy drive clean ontario. Make sure you thank the libs at election time for not actually doing anything about emissions instead of making you replace faulty sensors , that can get expensive.

Last edited:

kyfe

TRIBE Member
don't bother with sensors, that's not your problem (nor do they cost $500);)
you have an exhaust leak or a faulty hose which is reducing compression.

Take your car to a muffler shop and have them check for leaks, this shouldn't cost you anything other than the repair if they find something. You can also take it to some garages that will do an OBD scan for free such as AAMCO on St. Clair. the dealer will charge between 100 and 200 to do the same scan.

FYI it has nothing to do with the window motor.

what are the scan codes? I have a list at home with a bit of detail. if I can find it I'll check what it says.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Kyfe - you are enormously helpful with this stuff. This isn't my problem even , but gotta tell ya, your advice is always informative, even when I'm just sniffing around a thread.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Kyfe - you are enormously helpful with this stuff. This isn't my problem even , but gotta tell ya, your advice is always informative, even when I'm just sniffing around a thread.
thanks, sometimes I can be helpful other times it's to much fun to troll.:D

I went through the same issue in the summer so it's fresh with me, my OBD scan registered faulty O2 sensors (both sides as I have two) I replaced them myself. you can order sensors online and they ship pretty quickly, even with shipping duty etc it works out to ~ half the price. Mine were $150 each the dealer wanted $300 each, no brainer IMO.

after replacing the sensors the errors were still coming up, took it to my muffler guy and there was a rotted piece of pipe in a non visible area so neither me nor my brother noticed it, they did a spot repair and it cost me about another $300, to replace the pipe would have been $1500.

The pisser is the back end of the exhaust was entirely replaced last year, but hey at least I have new O2 sensors and I have my power back, LOL

Puma

TRIBE Member
don't bother with sensors, that's not your problem (nor do they cost $500);)
you have an exhaust leak or a faulty hose which is reducing compression.

Take your car to a muffler shop and have them check for leaks, this shouldn't cost you anything other than the repair if they find something. You can also take it to some garages that will do an OBD scan for free such as AAMCO on St. Clair. the dealer will charge between 100 and 200 to do the same scan.

FYI it has nothing to do with the window motor.

what are the scan codes? I have a list at home with a bit of detail. if I can find it I'll check what it says.
it could be many things your right.

The mass air flow sensor for my car at the dealer cost 500 just for the sensor and they want another 100 to change it plus tax.

Puma

TRIBE Member
thanks, sometimes I can be helpful other times it's to much fun to troll.:D
Mine were $150 each the dealer wanted $300 each, no brainer IMO.
so you say the dealer wanted 300 for the part most likely another 100 to replace it + tax. Does that not come out to close to 500?

also you payed 300 for the sensors and another 300 for the muffler so you payed 600 to get it to pass.

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
the PCV valve made my engine light come on my old car,,give it a wiggle downwards.. it'll be the black plastic thing sticking out of one of your valve covers and will have a rubber hose coming out of it

kyfe

TRIBE Member
so you say the dealer wanted 300 for the part most likely another 100 to replace it + tax. Does that not come out to close to 500?

also you payed 300 for the sensors and another 300 for the muffler so you payed 600 to get it to pass.
not arguing your math just that you've provided possibly the worst place (dealer) to purchase the parts from. That's still aside from the likelihood it's not a sensor issue as the code is flashing a vacuum leak

I'd still like to know what code it's flashing