1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Cap's captain sits out for Yom Kippur

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JEMZ, Oct 13, 2005.

1. JEMZ

JEMZ TRIBE Member

2. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

3. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

I wonder what his decision would be if he wasn't an established NHLer.

4. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

Why is this interesting? The caps are a shit team. It's not like he's taking time off during the playoffs. He should be applauded for his decision, and not seen as selfish.

Some people have different priorities in life. To him, religion is up there.

5. JEMZ

JEMZ TRIBE Member

There is no point in my statement that suggested that interesting = selfish.

I think the concept of religion and sport is the notion I am referring to as interesting. Especially when one considers all the significant moments in friend's, and loved one's lives that are inevitably missed due to one's obligations with a professional sports team.

As for him being aplauded for his decision that is your opinion... others would have other opinions which again is why this is interesting.

6. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

ifi am paying a dude millions...i would be ...play...religion or no...he is getting paid to play.......then again...i think religion is the longest game of the broken telephone/tablet ever

7. SJN

SJN TRIBE Member

If he were skipping a playoff game, then I think it would be more open to question/debate. But we're talking about game 5 of the regular season.

Players often receive permission to miss regular season games to attend funerals of relatives, births of children, to attend to sick family, etc. I don't see why receiving permission to miss a game to observe the most important Jewish holiday of the year is any different. If it's important to Halpern to observe Yom Kippur, then good for Washington for allowing him to observe it.

ps> the fact that the Caps suck and would have lost with, or without, him is totally irrelevant

8. *SiLver*RoBoT*

*SiLver*RoBoT* TRIBE Member

Our company respects everyone's religion. If you choose to take a day off for a religious day that the general public usually doesn't take (for example Yom Kippur), you're allowed too.

I'm sure it's the same as the NHL.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

9. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

what about festivus>?

i mean...it IS for the rest of us

10. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

I think I might convert for the holidays too. I can sport a jewfro.

11. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

I agree, I'm glad he chose religion before sport. I would want the right to make that decision for myself and not have my employer telling me I can't take a day off. It's not selfish, interesting or anything else.

12. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

how will it affect this year's eddition of Chrismaukkah?