1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Can't open downloaded files on my mac...?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by skyparty, Apr 28, 2010.

1. skyparty

skyparty TRIBE Member

So I'm new to downloaded files on my mac.

I downloaded utorrent because It's what I've used on my PC. The problem I have is that my completely downloaded files in utorrent won't open.

I googled and someone said to get "vuse" but I can't drag and drop my utorrent files into vuse. Yes, vuse is more organized, but how do I get these utorrent files out of utorrent?

They're just sitting there seeding...

I am getting rid of utorrent for mac once I get these files out of here, because I have received better recommendations! but until then I have 200 files I need to put on my itunes.

Help?

Sorry I really am terrible with this. Thanks for your help!

2. skyparty

skyparty TRIBE Member

Nevermind. I got it.

What's the best Mac torrent client

3. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

I use Transmission. It does the job

4. Blue Meanies

Blue Meanies TRIBE Member

5. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Seconded.

Havent used utorrent on my mac yet, but i use it on my PC's.

[jai]

6. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

i love transmission. simple, clean, perfect. what more could you ask for?

7. skyparty

skyparty TRIBE Member

I find utorrent really slow!

I actually deleted transmission because I couldn't figure out how to use it :p

My friend told me use tomato torrent because it's easy,
    but I've also been told to use Vuse.

8. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

How is Transmission difficult. The thing has like 5 buttons

9. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Vuse is the biggest piece of shit ever.

Transmission is beautifully simple and does exactly what you need it to.

[jai]

10. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

Vuse is garbage, transmission is still tops :).

In either case whichever you choose, to enable seeding you will have to go to the preferences and set your downloads folder to whatever it is right now in uTorrent (you can find that information in the uTorrent preferences or by right clicking one of your torrents and selecting "Show/Open Containing Folder".

After setting the downloads directory properly you will have to reopen your seeding torrents by either dragging them onto the new Torrent client (transmission or tomato torrent can both be operated this way, Vuse I couldn't tell ya), or by going into the torrent client and opening the torrent files in there.

Your torrent files are usually in your browser downloads folder (firefox, chrome, safari et. al) I believe on the mac Safari will put them in /Users/you/Downloads and Firefox in /Users/you/Documents/Downloads by default.

Hope that helps :)