• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Can't even go to the cops

annec

TRIBE Member
Toronto officer charged after man exposed himself
Apr. 6, 2006. 04:21 PM
BOB MITCHELL
STAFF REPORTER

A 22-year veteran of the Toronto Police Force was granted bail today after being charged Monday with allegedly exposing himself to children inside a popular toy store.

Robert Wright, 40, of Oakville had been in custody since his arrest inside the Toys R Us store near Dorval Rd. in Oakville.

A publication ban prevents reporting details of today's bail hearing in a Milton courtroom and why Wright was released.

Wright, who police sources said works in Traffic Services, is to return to a Burlington courtroom May 9.

The officer has been suspended with pay while Toronto police conduct their own internal investigation.

Halton police kept his identity secret in case their investigation showed there was a relationship with the victims.

Had this been the case, his identity would have remained under a publication ban to protect the victims.

“We’re satisfied that releasing his name now won’t compromise other victims,” Halton Det. Sgt. Chris Perkins told The Star today in an interview.. “We didn’t release his name until we spoke to certain people.

“Officers are now satisfied that the releasing of such information will not compromise the identity of young people who may have been victimized.”

Police allege that a man exposed himself to several children inside the toy store.

When officers arrived just after 7:15 p.m., they located the suspect still inside the store. He was taken into custody and a criminal investigation was started.

Wright, who was off duty at the time, was charged with committing an indecent act and two counts of possession of stolen property.

Investigators continue to examine the case and Perkins said additional charges could be laid.

Police said the charge involving stolen property was laid in connection with an un-related offence.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Funzo

TRIBE Member
annec said:
The officer has been suspended with pay while Toronto police conduct their own internal investigation.

God Damnit, I hate that shit. Any other profession in the world, if you whipped your cock out to party with little kids in a Toys R Us. You go to jail and yu sure as hell don't get paid for it.

As a cop, the cmmunity is supposed to be able to trust you. You proved you can't do your job, but fuck it, let's keep paying you anyways.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I'm so sick of that lame argument.
Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? Once the allegations are proven or disproven the cop will either get fired or return to work.

It's either keep him working knowing there's a potential risk to the public, or send him home with pay until it's resolved. Those are the only two realistic options.

Funzo

TRIBE Member
Walk into work today, pull your cock out and show it to some children. See if you get sent home with pay.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Fortunately....I work with children......

Unfortunately....part of my job is keeping a close eye on the open doors of the school to see who comes in, which adults go where, and who picks up which kid after school. Yes folks...we all know Toronto (and every city for that matter) is that creepy.

If I ever saw that cop....

...I'd kick him hard in the ding ding!

I just don't get these fucking idiots who are attracted to innocent kids.

WTF?!?!

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Funzo said:
Walk into work today, pull your cock out and show it to some children. See if you get sent home with pay.

Same with the cop.

What if I just told your employer you did the same 'cause I had a grudge against you (like maybe I didn't appreciate the parking ticket you gave me) i.e. other cops didn't see it happen.
You still think you'd get fired?

I'm not saying he did or didn't do it, but everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt until proven guilty.

Funzo

TRIBE Member
I_bRAD said:
I'm not saying he did or didn't do it, but everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt until proven guilty.

Fair enough, I can't argue with the legal system. Well that aspect anyway.

TrIbAlNuT

TRIBE Member
I_bRAD said:

this is messed up! I think a lot of people don't realize how high-stress and incredibly depressing police work is. I’m not trying to rationalize what this cop allegedly did, just pointing out something that is often overlooked in regards to police officers. If he actually did it throw him in jail and treat him like every other criminal They shouldn't pay him a cent during the investigation, but if proven innocent then pay him back every cent that he lost out on.

Kristof

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
TrIbAlNuT said:
this is messed up! I think a lot of people don't realize how high-stress and incredibly depressing police work is.

Most jobs are. However as a police officer you’re under oath and committing a crime is twice the offence.

If he actually did it throw him in jail and treat him like every other criminal They shouldn't pay him a cent during the investigation, but if proven innocent then pay him back every cent that he lost out on.

Kristof

Okay how about this!

Pay him right now, if he is found guilty he pays the money back or we liquidate assets to get it. Cops that commit crimes should automatically face a double sentence one for the crime and the other for the breach of public trust, same should hold true for lawyers judges and politicians.

soulbrother 10

TRIBE Member
Innocent until proven guilty - yes - it's the 'golden thread' of Anglo-American criminal justice. But it is often very difficult to get a conviction against a cop as compared to a regular citizen. And when found guilty, cops are almost always given sweetheart sentences.

When cops turn bad and get caught they always cry about their jobs being high stress and dangerous as if it excused their criminal behaviour. Judges and the public are generally sympathetic to the cop. But lots of people have high stress jobs and police work is much less dangerous than construction or mine work. Criminal cops should get no special breaks because they are cops.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
soulbrother 10 said:
Innocent until proven guilty - yes - it's the 'golden thread' of Anglo-American criminal justice. But it is often very difficult to get a conviction against a cop as compared to a regular citizen. And when found guilty, cops are almost always given sweetheart sentences.

Innocent until proven guilty doesn't mean that your life isn't going to be effected. If you get caught for drunk driving that take your drivers license away until you prove you weren't drunk in a court of law. If your accused of murder you can be held in jail until your case comes up in court and you prove yourself innocent.

In each of these cases your likely to lose your job.

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
I don't really see how a COP could think he'd get away with showing his wiener in a public place...

I mean...this sounds a bit sensationalist to me....

if he actually DID do it...he's perhaps the stupidest cop alive....you deserve the broom handle enema they're going to give you inside...fucking tool.

quantumize

TRIBE Member
so when waiters/line cooks do it in the movie waiting its funny, but when some guy does it in a toy store its a "big deal"

TrIbAlNuT

TRIBE Member
soulbrother 10 said:
When cops turn bad and get caught they always cry about their jobs being high stress and dangerous as if it excused their criminal behaviour. Judges and the public are generally sympathetic to the cop. But lots of people have high stress jobs and police work is much less dangerous than construction or mine work. Criminal cops should get no special breaks because they are cops.

You can make that argument for every job, I work in health care, I've been exposed to SARS, TB, HIV and god knows what else, so I could say I have a dangerous job too. To be fair I should mention that I wanted to be a cop, still do, went to college for law enforcement. The Police Services Act does list harsher penalties for PCs than the Criminal Code does for civilians. But your right, cops sometimes get away with murder because its very easy for them to argue that it was self-defense or just following procedure.

I did a ride-along with a PC in downtown T.O. it changed my perspective completely. And yes there are crooked cops that are worse than the criminal they catch. Our police force is pretty much a mirror reflection of our society, every personality trait you can find among members of society you can also find among cops.

Amy_J

TRIBE Member
soulbrother 10 said:

I can tell you for sure that cops are not always given "sweetheart sentences". My office represents and has represented cops on various charges and they are under even more scrutiny than the regular joe who fucked up and a few of them have gotten the same sentences that would have been handed down to a "regular citizen". Cops are always guilty until proven innocent because they're public figures and even if they are found innocet, or guilty of a lesser charge, that will follow them for the rest of their career and keep them under severe scrutiny for the rest of their career regardless of court findings.

I don't think it fair to pass judgement right away until all of the evidence comes out. Was there a camera that can show he did this? Witnesses? etc etc etc?

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I'm pretty sure he was a meter maid and not an actual cop, that's why it says traffic services. NOT that it makes a difference

when will the time come of mob mentality? all the parents in that store should have punted him like a Piniata till the cops came.

I'm beginning to think society tolerates this type of behavior because our reaction is usually to have someone else solve the problem.

Chemical Castration mofo's

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
Cops that commit crimes should automatically face a double sentence one for the crime and the other for the breach of public trust, same should hold true for lawyers judges and politicians.

Don't forget accountants, or investment advisors, or doctors....oh and teachers.....let's see, who else now.....?

(oh and by the way....what the hell does the thread title mean???)

Last edited:

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Vincent Vega said:
Don't forget accountants, or investment advisors, or doctors....oh and teachers.....let's see, who else now.....?

Chartered accountants should only face double charges in issues related to breach of trust with clients ditto for doctors. Teachers aren't under oath although any act against a student needs to be treated in a similarly harsh condition.

Investment Advisors aren't under an oath to society and are buyer beware. If you are under oath and society hands you a gun and a badge you need to keep your act clean.

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
In my addled state of mind this morning I genuinely can't tell whether this is you screwing around (Ditto, I mean) or whether you're actually serious.

What are "double charges" and "double sentences?" And how many lawyers, politicians and judges are handed a gun and a badge (since you lumped them in with cops as deserving these "double" sentences)?

Finally....lol at investment advisors being "buyer beware." :)

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Vincent Vega said:
In my addled state of mind this morning I genuinely can't tell whether this is you screwing around (Ditto, I mean) or whether you're actually serious.

I'm actually somewhat serious, a breach of public trust (ie breaking an oath) should be amongst the heaviest crimes out there far exceeding purgery.

What are "double charges" and "double sentences?" And how many lawyers, politicians and judges are handed a gun and a badge (since you lumped them in with cops as deserving these "double" sentences)?

'double' was just an easy way of saying it not necessarily a direct policy. Lawyers, politicians and judges are all under oath. In the case of politicians they should face severe repercussions for committing a crime beyond that of the average joe six pack simply because they were elected as representitives of society and thus if they chose to express this by committing crime they have broken public trust.

Lawyers and Judges are placed in a position of authority over society similar to police officers. Violating this public trust is the equivilent of atking advantage of children.

Finally....lol at investment advisors being "buyer beware." :)

They are... They don't take an oath of any kind same a real estate agent or a car dealer.

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
They are... They don't take an oath of any kind same a real estate agent or a car dealer.

It is actually possible to "breach trust" even if one hasn't taken an oath you know.

For more on this, you may want to research the financial planning/advisory industry a little more. Feel free to include words/terms like "fiduciary duty," "regulatory" and "standards" in your search.

But I know your mind is made up and slammed shut on this like it is when you usually come up with these ideas so don't worry about it.....

(and I still don't understand the thread title)