1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Canoe & Kayak information, repairs

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by greginhali, Jun 27, 2010.

1. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

I am looking for some reviews and a couple of different kayak's and canoe's.

Can anyone lead me to some sites.

this is what im looking at the moment. There are no reviews that i can dig up.

Pelican Apex 130T 2 Person Kayak

thanks

g

2. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

I desperately want one of these: Feathercraft Folding Kayaks

It folds up when not in use! Easy to store and transport, yet a fully functional kayak.

3. green_souljah

green_souljah TRIBE Member

My dads shop does a lot of restorations to canoes and kayaks.

Do not buy anything that says Pelican on it. The polyethelyne is too thin and they are poorly made. They sell these pieces of crap to Canadian Tire at a loss as to somehow gain market share.

Not sure what price range you are in, but I would recommend doing some digging and seeing what other people say about them.

Swift make good products, Paluski's out of Lakefield (I think they make a two seater) Ocean Kayak are a good name, Clearwater Designs, Cricket

Probably a lot more out there now as well but these are the ones that come to mind on a hungover Sunday night.

Here is a good canoe site

http://www.myccr.com/

4. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

5. justin surdit

justin surdit TRIBE Member

I would recommend heading to the Complete Paddler near Kipling & Gardiner.

Knowledgeable staff, no real sales tactics. They should be able to give you the pros and cons of any make/model.

Plus they usually have a stable of used boats if you want to try & save some cash.

BTW, stay away from the Crappy Tire styles, they are super cheap for a reason.

6. SlipperyPete

SlipperyPete TRIBE Member

7. Hybrid

Hybrid TRIBE Member

WOW, no need for a roof rack. I wonder how much punishment they can take.

8. derek

derek TRIBE Member

feathercraft will cost you though. if your serious about kayaking and need light / exoedition weight, it's the way to go.

9. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

thanks for the heads up and great sites.

I have a line on a free canoe that might need some refinishing. Im reading about how to do it.

10. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

11. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

Took my canoe out for a spin. Portaged from my place to the lake (few hundred meters). Paddled out to Ontario Place and back. It's ABS and way too heavy. The thing aint made for portaging.

Gonna buy something else.

I'm looking at a Nova Craft Prospector in Kevlar.

and here's another site

nessmuking.com/

12. PF9K

PF9K TRIBE Member

langford

13. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

I have a pelican Paddle boat at the cottage and it seems pretty decent. Although it is a paddle boat, and it doesn't get beat up like a kayak/canoe would. I wouldn't want to portage with it, thats for sure. It only really gets used by my friends kids or my lil cousens, or for a late afternoon booze paddle........

We also have a cheap $300 kayak from Crappy T, but unfortunately it's not to stable in the water. I tend to swim more then paddle when I am in it.

If your pretty serious about it, then you should check out bass pro or an outdoors store. They would have better quality ones then Crappy tire. Likely more expensive, but you don't want to mess around with durability and safety with that type of stuff.

14. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

Finally im off to the cottage to fix this old canoe i got for free. I want to sand it down and put fiber glass on the holes. I was going to buy the fiberglass kit from Home Depot? Does anybody know the dry times on these type of kits? I was hoping to patch the holes on Saturday and paint the outside of the canoe on Sunday. Is that too little of a dry time?

thanks!

15. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

do any of you have any fiberglass repair kit recommendations? Maybe the big box stores isnt the place to go.

16. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

The last stuff I used I bought at a hardware / paint shop in south africa. I don't know about here, but there they had different resins for different purposes. They had basic stuff for cars, and UV protected for outdoor pools. Follow the directions on the resin exactly (more hardener is not better). For your purpose a fibreglass repair kit will probably be enough.

Fiberglass cures really fast (in an hour or less). You may find it curing too fast if you have a lot of area to cover. It will start to get gelly and clumpy. You don't want that.

There are some good youtube videos that show how pros use it to build subwoofer housings for custom car jobs. Some of the stuff they can do with fiberglass is amazing.

17. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

i was just watching a few you tube videos.

this one made some sense to me. YouTube - ‪Fixing a Worn out Stem‬&rlm;

YouTube - ‪Fixing a Worn out Stem‬&rlm;

even though the damage on mine is much more severe, but up along the stern of the boat.

18. alexd

Ha this old guy is a noob in boat repair but he does a pretty good job. His boat hole is pretty large too:

[YOUTUBE]XRv7iwCrVfk[/YOUTUBE]

19. moose-meat

moose-meat TRIBE Member

This is 100 % true , but I bought one anyway just to see if it was something that I really wanted to get back into. Turns out it was. Tons of fun and a damn good workout. But now , I kinda wish I would have spent a bit more right off the bat.

Anybody want to buy my piece of crap , poorly made , too thin Pelican ?

On another note , anybody been kayaking on the Grand yet ? Just wondering where to put in and if any local outfitters offer a pick up ?

thanks

20. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

There's a put in just south of the 401. On the east side. I'll dig up the name location if you want. Drive to the bridge in Paris and call a cab. They have a set rate less than $20.

21. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

I bought a kit from crappy tire for about 20 bucks. I am off this weekend to try fiberglassing for the first time. Ill post some results on monday.

22. alexd

wear rubber gloves! it can be messy!

23. moose-meat

moose-meat TRIBE Member

Much appreciated !

24. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

The put in at a little place called Glen Morris.

Paris Taxi 519-442-7873
    $17 flat rate.
    They pick up at the railway bridge/dam in Paris.

details