1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Canadian Slang

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Chiclet, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Chiclet

Chiclet TRIBE Promoter

They forgot 'biter'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_slang

Some examples:

2. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

I still don't know what a Mickey is.

They missed a few.

tdot
    Kraft Dinner
    pop

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  3. HouseHeadSacha

HouseHeadSacha TRIBE Member

4. mitsuko souma

mitsuko souma TRIBE Member

SO glad they included 'The Ballet'. But is that just a Canadian thing, really?

5. davehill79

davehill79 TRIBE Promoter

Yeah, whats all that about.. i dont understand quite a few things that Canadians say... When someone i met here said the are getting their bangs cut... I looked at them and said "Waht the fuck"

Im getting better though :-D

6. why not

why not TRIBE Member

i knew boozecan must be a canadian term - people from other countries always thought i was crazy when i explained it to them.

"The blind pig is a classic example of black market economics, and with the end of prohibition in 1933 most blind pigs had to either become legitimate establishments or close shop. Common current examples of the blind pig include the after hours club and the keg party. In Canada, however, traditional blind pigs continue to flourish, although they are usually known as booze cans."

god bless our archaic liquor laws.

7. bblutoo

bblutoo TRIBE Member

"Ukrainian Tire — a nasty racial slur against Canadian Tire and Canadians of Ukrainian Descent. However, most Ukrainian-Canadians will not take offence, and will actually grin when you refer to the store as such."

never heard this one, but i think it's funny they grin :D

8. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

lmao @

Gina — a female (usually of southern European descent) who dresses in tight clothing usually with fluffy accents; Ginas are usually only labelled as such because of their association with Ginos (see below) (this word may be considered a racial slur against Italian women, but many young people associate it exclusively with the Gino/Gina subculture with or without a negative connotation).
    # Gino — a male (usually of Southern European descent) who dresses in tight clothing (particularly denim), uses hair gel, wears gold chains, and has a macho attitude (this word may be considered a racial slur against Italian men, but many young people associate it exclusively with the Gino/Gina subculture with or without a negative connotation). Also referred to as "Gino-Camaro" because of the high correlation between people of this description and Chevrolet Camaros/Pontiac Firebirds.

9. why not

why not TRIBE Member

"Cougar — a middle-aged (or above) woman, dressed to the nines, out on the prowl looking for young (20–35 year old) men "

is this really a canadian term?

10. why not

why not TRIBE Member

you do so know what a mickey is - it's those flask sized bottles of hard liquor that fit conveniently in your pocket.
    i'm assuming it's named for the stereotype of the irish always needing a little sip of whiskey wherever they are.
    it is in there (look for 'crap dinner'). there's a link to the history of kraft dinner, which explains why the rest of the world calls it macaroni and cheese.
    incidentally, kraft dinner was originally an american product, but we eat the most per-capita in the world.

another favourite:
    Giv'n'r — used to describe any act carried out with extreme exuberance or to its fullest potential. "We were just Giv'n'r last night." Can be expanded as "Give her berries".
    Giv'er — Used to give someone permission to do something they never really asked to do ie: when speeding and a passenger notices, he says 'giv'er buddy' encouraging the driver to go faster.

11. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

"BT" Bottle Toke... I showed this to my brother's friends in Australia in 92 and they were astonished... Everytime thereafter visiting my brother's house there they would be, dropping hash on the end of a cigarette and doing BT's out of VB bottle......

12. Soulster

Soulster TRIBE Member

cougar is defo canadian. nobody else knows wtf you're talking about.

davehill79: first time i heard somebody say "i'm going to get my fringe cut" i was like wtf?! :p

13. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

Smarties........

they don't know what Smarties are. The US has Reeses Pieces and M&Ms. Went to Florida and asked for a Blizzard with Smarties at the Dairy Queen and the folks looked at me like I was on crack.

14. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Yah, but some people say "I'm gonna buy a mickey of vodka."

How many litres is that?

15. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

0.375L

two mickeys = one 26er

16. groovespinna

groovespinna TRIBE Member

it's under a litre.
    read the description again maybe?

17. why not

why not TRIBE Member

this is at the end of the page, with all the other slang names for areas.

18. why not

why not TRIBE Member

:confused:

read much?
    i'm sorry, i just don't believe that you don't know what a mickey is - are you trolling?
    having said that, i have no idea how much liquid is in a mickey, all i know is that they are shaped to fit into your pocket.

19. [SQUARE]

[SQUARE] TRIBE Member

hoser — a stereotype and a mild insult; exploiter; from Depression era prairie gasoline thieves.

I remember having a drunken conversation about this term. I couldn't figure out where the word would have come from. How educational...

20. Hamza

Hamza TRIBE Member

ppl. who add DOT infront of the first letter of their city need to be shot!

I've been seeing things like H-DOT and M-DOT and shit.

WTF?

21. groovespinna

groovespinna TRIBE Member

I call guelph the gspot.

or the terrible shithole.
    whatever comes to mind first.

22. Hamza

Hamza TRIBE Member

guelph is dirty hippie central.

23. mitsuko souma

mitsuko souma TRIBE Member

LOL @ hippie central.

24. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

See, I always refer to bottles of alcohol by their volume in mL.

Isn't being metric considered to be more Canadian?

25. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

Is "No guff" Canadian?