• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

canadian producers blowin' up

duggystyler

TRIBE Promoter
it's all about patriotic loyalty in 2004.
house music has been blessed over the years by solid productions and remixes from many different canadian producers and labels. it's time for people in t.o. and the whole country to give respect where it is due! three home grown producers that are makin' me feel it at the moment are: jason hodges, jay tripwire, and fred everything. buy these boys' records or die.
please share your favourite producers, labels and djs from the great white north and reprezent y'all.

p.s. R.I.P. stickman/aquarius records :( :( :( :(

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
Chris Vench, Paranoid Jack, Jason Hodges, Fred Everything, Sneak (he's pretty much Canadian now), West Magnetic, Richie Hawtin.

There are sooo many good Canadian producers. However a lot of the stores are not too proned to carry their releases.

jeremy -beaver beats- jive

circle

TRIBE Member
HODGES <--- nothing but straight up dope cuts from this man. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Fred Everything also never disappoints. (I think he's coming here on the 20th).

Gryphon <--- wait till this cat unleashes his production skills and puts it on wax.... crazy.

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jeremy
Sneak (he's pretty much Canadian now

here's something i never understood

does sneak actually live full time in TO?

or do people just say this because he [used to] play in toronto so often

lately i haven't seen his name on too many flyers though ..

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
here's something i never understood

or do people just say this because he [used to] play in toronto so often

lately i haven't seen his name on too many flyers though ..

I think he may live all over but Im sure he has a place here...he has SNEAKBEATS on queen which im sure he's involved in tightly...good question though

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

s1k

TRIBE Member
I went by sneakbeats a month ago and he was in the back, didn't get to talk to him though, its too bad, i wanted to make a request for a local set, i mean if people keep going in there and asking him he's gotta do a set somewhere. I would give the world to see him at BOA on the alpha sound system, he's by far the greatest DJ, by far in terms of creativity, innovation, groove..hands down.

ian

TRIBE Member
I believe Sneak owns a house here. It is weird h
e doesn't play here more, but I guess it's becuase he plays elsewhere so often!

T_Dot_House

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by terrawrist III
I think he may live all over but Im sure he has a place here...he has SNEAKBEATS on queen which im sure he's involved in tightly...good question though

Where on Queen is it?

physix

TRIBE Member
Chris Vench, Paranoid Jack, Jason Hodges, Fred Everything, Sneak (he's pretty much Canadian now), West Magnetic, Richie Hawtin.

There are sooo many good Canadian producers. However a lot of the stores are not too proned to carry their releases.

really?

that sucks to get no love in your home country.

but rest assured, biyatches in the States are eatin'
it up!

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member

Here's why:

-Bullshit political Distribution agreements
-Crappy Canadian Distrubutors
-Canadian Artist on European manufactured vinyl = import
-Not enough local labels.

Even the Release guys stuff is done through Threebeat (unless that's changed recently). They will definately sell waaay more units in Europe but alas we here in Toronto must show our support by paying import prices for local work.

I do however side with the labels in the sense that the Pressing plants and mastering houses in North America are nothing like Europe.

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
i always knew about hodges. ;) been cheering for this guy for awhile now, and torontonians KNOW that this guy's been around since the beginning, and it's about time he gets the love.

tripwire, fred everything, tyler stadius, luke fair, jojoflores, jelo, etc...lots of canadians representing our canadian spirit.

respect.

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
don't forget about the quality product being consistently put out by local cats on their own labels as well like...

peter & tyrone - 83 West Records & Camouflage Recordings
dino & terry - crash records & vinyl peace
nick holder - dnh records
john kumahara - iwanai records

to name a few.

d

ethnik

TRIBE Member
jon delerious
shawn ward
pete hecher
nick nonsense
akufen
mike shannon
jeff milligan
adam marshall
stephen beaupré/crackhaus
vincent lemieux
martin dumais & les jardiniers
nic b & the couch potatoes
bougie solitaire
st-michel

the list is endless

duggystyler

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by zoo

i've heard that him and hodges were/are roomies.
i've heard he's lived here since the industry days
i've heard he was the one responsible for much of the international talent that graced the decks at industry.
i've heard he only plays his own birthday party in t.o.
i've heard the reason he does not play in t.o. is $
i've heard him bring down the walls in many a toronto venue and would love to hear it again.

about the only thing i know fo sure is that you can find him at sneakbeats (queen, jus west o' bathurst) although he is usually on the phone, or attending to a small chihuaha, he's usually not very talkative, but you can get him going if you try. jus go in and call him carlos, or mr. sosa, that'll get his attention.

zoo

TRIBE Member
i've only seen dj sneak once in 99 i think and it was a great great night

and is it just me or did he skip doing a sneak's birthday beats this past fall?

i'm not actually sure, i guess i'll pay more attention 8 months from now ;)

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by zoo

and is it just me or did he skip doing a sneak's birthday beats this past fall?

no. it was held at Hush (formerly aria, presently underbar). A smaller crowd, but less stressful i'm sure for sneak and company. It was a kicking party though!

Desire

TRIBE Promoter
Martino - watch for his soulful vibes and dirty basslines

Yellowproductions(Africanism), West End, Iwana

Vernon

TRIBE Member
you forgot about the vancouver guys

tripwire
tyler stadius
dj ali
konrad black